Around The NHL Discussion 2021-22 Part IV Into the Playoffs Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
I don't like taking the high ground and saying well, the Blues took as many games as anyone against the Avs, but watching the Lightning this series did make me feel a little better about the strength of our team this season.

The Lightning also won two games, but they looked outmatched in every single one. The Blues actually took it to the Avs in some of their contests, even if some of the others were very one-sided. It's unlikely we'll be able to field a team that's better than the Avs next year, even if they suffer a bit from cap issues and Armstrong finds a way to improve, but we should have a pretty good shot to beat them.

This season really was a rollercoaster and it's still hard for me to really figure out our squad. We seemed to embrace a more run-and-gun style at the end of the season and went on a huge winning run relying on it, but in the playoffs we quickly shifted to rely more on O'Reilly and limiting high danger chances instead of creating them. I thought we had discovered our real identity heading into the playoffs, but things change fast and we adjusted fast. Hopefully next year we can find a way to mix the two into something even better.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Overall, I was not impressed by the Lightning and certainly not impressed with Vasilevsky.

Vasi couldn’t track the puck if it had GPS on it.

The D with too many passes up the middle from behind the net that went nowhere.

Kucherov looked bored out there and his reaction at the bench in the last bit of the game was sad.

Lots to not like. Glad it’s over.

Reactions: Sushiko

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Avs were dominant in the playoffs and rightfully won the Cup. The Lightning struggled to keep up with the high octane pace of the Avs and Vasilevsky was a bit underwhelming in my eyes. Makar was a joy to watch and it's going to suck having him in our division for the next decade. Well deserved and long awaited Cup win for the Avs.

Hopefully people on this board can stop with all the mental gymnastics to discredit the Avs victory, and I also hope Avs fans can spend more time celebrating their victory than lurking in our board like they've been doing the past month.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Hopefully people on this board can stop with all the mental gymnastics to discredit the Avs victory, and I also hope Avs fans can spend more time celebrating their victory than lurking in our board like they've been doing the past month.
Amen

On to the off season

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I know EJ was the butt of many jokes around here for years (myself included) but it is kinda cool to see him get one.

Kerber (or JR I forget which one) tweeted a stat saying 10 of our last 18 1st round picks (going back to 05) have now won the cup. That was kinda neat

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
I know EJ was the butt of many jokes around here for years (myself included) but it is kinda cool to see him get one.

Kerber (or JR I forget which one) tweeted a stat saying 10 of our last 18 1st round picks (going back to 05) have now won the cup. That was kinda neat
Doing this off the top of my head: Oshie, Johnson, Ian Cole, Perron, Pietro, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri, Thomas and Kostin (not sure if he counts)

Doing this off the top of my head: Oshie, Johnson, Ian Cole, Perron, Pietro, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri, Thomas and Kostin (not sure if he counts)
Not Kostin forgot about Lars Eller

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Cup presentation is truly special to watch. Now that our guys have won it, it takes away a lot of that sting, and allows me to just sit back and enjoy seeing players lift their lifelong dream. It's a fun moment. I would have preferred that Colorado didn't win, but they were bound to get a Cup eventually during the primes of MacKinnon and Makar, so whatevs. Not going to let it bother me much.

That said, maybe it's because a division rival just won, but I have my hunger back big time for another Cup. After 2019, I was pretty content for a couple years with the Blues not going deep in the playoffs because I was still living off that high. But man, now I so desperately want to see this core group get one more Cup soon to really solidify themselves among the best of the best in the league.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
The Cup presentation is truly special to watch. Now that our guys have won it, it takes away a lot of that sting, and allows me to just sit back and enjoy seeing players lift their lifelong dream. It's a fun moment. I would have preferred that Colorado didn't win, but they were bound to get a Cup eventually during the primes of MacKinnon and Makar, so whatevs. Not going to let it bother me much.

That said, maybe it's because a division rival just won, but I have my hunger back big time for another Cup. After 2019, I was pretty content for a couple years with the Blues not going deep in the playoffs because I was still living off that high. But man, now I so desperately want to see this core group get one more Cup soon to really solidify themselves among the best of the best in the league.
I told myself they got a three year “pass” from me, and now we’re going into year 4….so yeah it’s god damn time lol

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis

Not Kostin forgot about Lars Eller
Rundblad led to Tarasenko, and Berglund accidentally led to ROR, so they kinda count :sarcasm: . And Bolduc and Neighbors don’t count, so it’s basically 11 out of 16 :laugh:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Rundblad led to Tarasenko, and Berglund accidentally led to ROR, so they kinda count :sarcasm: . And Bolduc and Neighbors don’t count, so it’s basically 11 out of 16 :laugh:
Yeah Kerber is the one who made the tweet and he was on the radio today and doubled down on that, that the Blues have at least gotten something out of all their 1sts, even if it’s through trade, except for one.

The only one we got nothing out of was Jordan Schmaltz.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Yeah Kerber is the one who made the tweet and he was on the radio today and doubled down on that, that the Blues have at least gotten something out of all their 1sts, even if it’s through trade, except for one.

The only one we got nothing out of was Jordan Schmaltz.
And even looking at the ones traded, one got JBo and one got ROR, the only real wasted one was on Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad