Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
$1B debt to the owners?

Indentured servitude?
The players didn't take a pay cut even though the league revenue was massively less due to the pandemic. The deal was that it would be recouped by overpaying the owners' cut for a few years (instead of the 50/50 split). This is accomplished in part by holding the salary cap stagnant, although you can probably figure out that even a 3-4M rise would be around 100M total and not enough to make up that deficit quickly.

I think you're probably joking, but it is a deal where players TODAY are making less so that players the last couple years would make more. Not sure today's players were completely able to be represented in that deal. Guys who were retiring ended up on the best end of that deal.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
The players didn't take a pay cut even though the league revenue was massively less due to the pandemic. The deal was that it would be recouped by overpaying the owners' cut for a few years (instead of the 50/50 split). This is accomplished in part by holding the salary cap stagnant, although you can probably figure out that even a 3-4M rise would be around 100M total and not enough to make up that deficit quickly.

I think you're probably joking, but it is a deal where players TODAY are making less so that players the last couple years would make more. Not sure today's players were completely able to be represented in that deal. Guys who were retiring ended up on the best end of that deal.

Of course, I'm joking.

If I get wasted enough, I'm sure all of this will sound logical.

With that said, let me recreate this scenario, so it makes more sense.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Guys a complete brick head. He’s got nothing up there.
I like having an agitator, but not an asshole like Lemieux.

Although I'm a little hesitant to bring on M. Tkachuk, I'd be willing to entertain the idea of having both him and Brown with the Blues.

All of this is providing, of course, that Matthew calms down a little while still being a highly-skilled pest and that Brown continues his good play.

From a marketing perspective and also from a growth perspective, having those two could be a major boon for St. Louis.

Barry Melrose mentioned it again a few games ago; STL is a hockey town.

If Brown keeps this going, then I will start to open up more when it comes to M. Tkachuk. Brady is just a Tkachucky doll. No thanks.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I like having an agitator, but not an asshole like Lemieux.

Although I'm a little hesitant to bring on M. Tkachuk, I'd be willing to entertain the idea of having both him and Brown with the Blues.

All of this is providing, of course, that Matthew calms down a little while still being a highly-skilled pest and that Brown continues his good play.

From a marketing perspective and also from a growth perspective, having those two could be a major boon for St. Louis.

Barry Melrose mentioned it again a few games ago; STL is a hockey town.

If Brown keeps this going, then I will start to open up more when it comes to M. Tkachuk. Brady is just a Tkachucky doll. No thanks.
Is there any other reason besides Matthew being a pest that you wouldn't want him on this roster? Seems like a weird, vague reason for not wanting extremely talented home grown talent on this roster. Same goes for Brady, I would gladly take either/both of the brothers on this team all things being equal. Brown is a nice consolation for Sanford, but he's never going to be as good as the Tkachuks.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Is there any other reason besides Matthew being a pest that you wouldn't want him on this roster? Seems like a weird, vague reason for not wanting extremely talented home grown talent on this roster. Same goes for Brady, I would gladly take either/both of the brothers on this team all things being equal. Brown is a nice consolation for Sanford, but he's never going to be as good as the Tkachuks.
Matthew Tkachuk has been suspended multiple times and recently fined.

He appears to be out of control at times, but also appears to do what he does on purpose. He certainly knows how to get under an opponent's skin and draws penalties.

I don't want a fool on the St. Louis Blues.

If he can cool his jets, then I start to reconsider.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

He appears to be out of control at times, but also appears to do what he does on purpose. He certainly knows how to get under an opponent's skin and draws penalties.

His last suspension was back in 2017 when he was 19, but yes he was recently fined. I don't know how you feel about having Buchnevich, but he's been suspended more times than Matthew in recent memory. I think Matthew may do stupid shit more often than Buch, but they are both agitators and are susceptible to suspensions or fines. I think as long as they aren't doing this type of stuff often, then I'm reluctantly ok with it.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
His last suspension was back in 2017 when he was 19, but yes he was recently fined. I don't know how you feel about having Buchnevich, but he's been suspended more times than Matthew in recent memory. I think Matthew may do stupid shit more often than Buch, but they are both agitators and are susceptible to suspensions or fines. I think as long as they aren't doing this type of stuff often, then I'm reluctantly ok with it.
Fair point on the 2017 suspension being his most recent - I'll trust that you're correct. People grow out of behaviors and into others.

Tkachuk continues to be borderline assholish, but he usually gets away with it. I would differentiate MT and Buch by characterizing Buch as an acute agitator, while MT is chronic.

I'd hate for him to be another Tom Wilson. Sooner or later, teams will stop taking M. Tkachuk's gaslighting bait and, instead, focus on his play.

If he doesn't chill out, then he risks losing his teammates' trust.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I would love to have him on our team. But not at 9 or 10 million per. That is game breaker money to me and he isn’t a game breaker. At 7.5 or so, very easy yes,.

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH

You’ve taken a stand on an issue early, which I appreciate. Your point about Tom Wilson puts it into a good context, IMO

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Fair point on the 2017 suspension being his most recent - I'll trust that you're correct. People grow out of behaviors and into others.

Tkachuk continues to be borderline assholish, but he usually gets away with it. I would differentiate MT and Buch by characterizing Buch as an acute agitator, while MT is chronic.

I'd hate for him to be another Tom Wilson. Sooner or later, teams will stop taking M. Tkachuk's gaslighting bait and, instead, focus on his play.

If he doesn't chill out, then he risks losing his teammates' trust.
I think I'd agree with that on Tkachuk. He usually is taking penalties for stupid reasons, where I'd say Buch probably does it in scums and heated interactions. If that's your reason for not wanting M. Tkachuk right now, then that's fine. I think his skill offsets his dumb decisions more often than not. I can understand the sentiment of not wanting a guy like Tom Wilson on the roster.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Is MK going to be worth his salary in the future? And how would that salary allow us to compete or not?

Does he help his team more than he hurts it with his antics?

I personally don’t care if he is a local boy or if he is a good player. I care about how he fits on our team and how that impacts our ability to win.

At this point, I am not terribly convinced he won’t be both overpriced and a distraction.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Watching Wild and Vegas now.

VGK has been in the League for a few seasons now and they're already f***ing up their jerseys.

OYVEY!

Wild color guy thinks Michaelangelo carved the famous facade in Petra.

Petra Angelo just called for slash. Bullshit call.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Watching Wild and Vegas now.

VGK has been in the League for a few seasons now and they're already f***ing up their jerseys.

OYVEY!

Wild color guy thinks Michaelangelo carved the famous facade in Petra.

Petra Angelo just called for slash. Bullshit call.
Russo says Petro slashed the guy in balls.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Time to watch the Whirling Dervish, when I can.

Someone and Slavin showing some good sportsmanship.

Thought it was Raanta, but the Canucks don't have anyone named Raanta.

Wasn't able to see much of Q. Hughes, @Blueston, but what I did see was good. I know he plays a different position that JH, but Quinn was noticeably more physical and present.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad