Around The NHL Discussion 2021-22 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
To continue the conversation about the Hughes deal...

ChicagoBlues said:
But that's not even remotely a comparable.

The Oilers extended Draisatl after his ELC was complete.
The Devils extended Hughes before his is complete AND right after he returned from the IR.

Draisatl scored 137 points in 191 games played.
Hughes has only 55 points in 120 games played.

Draisatl is built like a Panzer, while Hughes is a waif.

Drai got a noticeably bigger contract than Hughes as well. Drai's deal was 11.33% of the capo when it was signed while Hughes's deal is 9.82%. Drai was the 12th highest cap hit in the league when he signed his deal. Currently, Hughes is in an 8-way tie for 45th highest cap hit next season. Drai also got noticeably more robust trade protection.

I don't think that the comparison was that Hughes is or will become Drai. Rather, the comparison was that giving a big 8 year deal off the ELC comes with a lot of sticker shock, but can be better in the long run than going short-medium term off the ELC and then having to give a massive raise when the player has all the leverage. Players/agents have figured out that these stars can get good money on 3 year deals and that such a contract gives the player massive leverage on the next negotiation (because they can say 'either break the bank now, or I'll just take my qualifying offer and walk to UFA as a 26 year old').

The Drai comparison wasn't about comparing the two as players, but to offer a rationale for locking up your guys long term. The overwhelming consensus at the time Drai signed was that the Oilers should have bridged him if that was the AAV it took to go 8 years. Not doing that turned out to be incredibly good for the Oilers. That's the logic behind this extension for Hughes. Hughes hasn't shown me enough to feel confident that he is a true 1C, but if the Devils feel confident about it then the decision to eat a bad AAV for a couple years to buy term makes sense.

Reactions: Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

Drai got a noticeably bigger contract than Hughes as well. Drai's deal was 11.33% of the capo when it was signed while Hughes's deal is 9.82%. Drai was the 12th highest cap hit in the league when he signed his deal. Currently, Hughes is in an 8-way tie for 45th highest cap hit next season. Drai also got noticeably more robust trade protection.

I don't think that the comparison was that Hughes is or will become Drai. Rather, the comparison was that giving a big 8 year deal off the ELC comes with a lot of sticker shock, but can be better in the long run than going short-medium term off the ELC and then having to give a massive raise when the player has all the leverage. Players/agents have figured out that these stars can get good money on 3 year deals and that such a contract gives the player massive leverage on the next negotiation (because they can say 'either break the bank now, or I'll just take my qualifying offer and walk to UFA as a 26 year old').

The Drai comparison wasn't about comparing the two as players, but to offer a rationale for locking up your guys long term. The overwhelming consensus at the time Drai signed was that the Oilers should have bridged him if that was the AAV it took to go 8 years. Not doing that turned out to be incredibly good for the Oilers. That's the logic behind this extension for Hughes. Hughes hasn't shown me enough to feel confident that he is a true 1C, but if the Devils feel confident about it then the decision to eat a bad AAV for a couple years to buy term makes sense.
I understand. Thank you. I respect your opinion and also that of @Blueston.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I understand. Thank you. I respect your opinion and also that of @Blueston.
For the record, I wouldn't be happy about that deal as a Devils fan. I think your point about him just coming off IR is a good one. I don't think that he would have increased his value much over the next 2 months and I'd have liked to see him take the next step before giving him $8M a year.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I don't think Hughes has done nearly enough to justify that cap hit. He needs to prove that he can stay healthy for an entire season. I get that he didn't miss a game last year, but that's with almost zero travel, etc. that takes a huge toll on the body too. After that, he needs to show that he can actually produce consistently, again, something I don't think he's shown. They bought up all his RFA years and only like 2 UFA years for what looks like nothing of a discount. Just brutal. Now they have three contracts on the books that may look terrible in about 3 years (Nico, Hughes, and Hamilton)

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Having Hischier and Hughes on big deals before breaking out is very risky. Sure, there is the chance that you get some level of a discount, but at their prices, it still wouldn't be that much of a discount if they become 70+ point producers. And you could easily find yourself in a Clayton Keller situation where you have terrible value for what they bring.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't think Hughes has done nearly enough to justify that cap hit. He needs to prove that he can stay healthy for an entire season. I get that he didn't miss a game last year, but that's with almost zero travel, etc. that takes a huge toll on the body too. After that, he needs to show that he can actually produce consistently, again, something I don't think he's shown. They bought up all his RFA years and only like 2 UFA years for what looks like nothing of a discount. Just brutal. Now they have three contracts on the books that may look terrible in about 3 years (Nico, Hughes, and Hamilton)

It bought 4 UFA years (assuming he doesn't miss a year due to injuries).

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Thank you for capturing context. Obviously totally different players.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Saw some of the Leafs-Avalance game.

Colorado has some huge issues. They looked like a peewee midget amateur teams Toronto. Lots of talent but something is very off there.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Normally I'm pretty ambivalent about jersey asthetics. For example, the red reverse retros look fine to me, but I'm not going to get one. I think its fun to see the Blues wear them once in a while.

But those Smashville Preds jerseys are irritatingly bad.

Reactions: 542365

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Normally I'm pretty ambivalent about jersey asthetics. For example, the red reverse retros look fine to me, but I'm not going to get one. I think its fun to see the Blues wear them once in a while.

I assume you are talking about the Stadium Series Roller Hockey jerseys.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

The Sexual Predators have terrible jerseys.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
At least the Preds can get a new banner "Worse Than the Blues Reverse Retros" you know how Nashville loves their Banners.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’m so glad the Islanders are trash. Lou’s whole strategy of not announcing their signings all offseason was so f***ing stupid.

Reactions: TK 421
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad