Around The NHL Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
They've got around $17M to fill 6 forward positions, and that's if the cap actually goes up to $83M. Signing Pavelski would leave them around $9M to fill the last 5 slots. I don't see how Meyers would be an option there unless they are able to move one of Keith, Seabrook or Murphy - good luck with that. Then next off-season they will need money to sign Strome, DeBrincat and Gustafsson.

Yeah, if I'm Chicago's GM, I'm in no rush to use the available cap space right away - after fighting with the cap ceiling for years, I carefully plan out how to use it and don't make any knee jerk UFA signings.

Pavelski to Chicago just doesn't make sense to me.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Don’t sleep on Chicago next year. I keep seeing they’re in on Pavelski, and they’ve got more money to spend after that. Could see Tyler Myers signing there as well as having a top 3 pick. They’re in my mix of bubble teams right now.
I think Winnipeg will sign Myers shortly, amd that was the main point of trading Trouba.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, if I'm Chicago's GM, I'm in no rush to use the available cap space right away - after fighting with the cap ceiling for years, I carefully plan out how to use it and don't make any knee jerk UFA signings.

Pavelski to Chicago just doesn't make sense to me.
If they want to compete right away, Pavelski on a three year deal makes sense for them.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Someone on the main board mentioned how good a fit Pavelski would be for the Avalanche and man do I agree. They've got the space to sign him, they've got the roster need and he offers them some leadership and experience for what overall is a pretty young team.

I'd hate it for us, but I'd be all over it if I were Colorado

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Someone on the main board mentioned how good a fit Pavelski would be for the Avalanche and man do I agree. They've got the space to sign him, they've got the roster need and he offers them some leadership and experience for what overall is a pretty young team.

I'd hate it for us, but I'd be all over it if I were Colorado
One of my favorite players. A shame he doesn't really make sense for us. To have him instead of Bozak. . . and I like Bozak.

Reactions: Falco Lombardi

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
How does he get that contract after the brutal playoff performance he had for the Jets?

I shouldn’t be shocked at contracts much anymore but that one actually is truly shocking. Wow that’s bad.

illininer

Apr 30, 2014
Illinois
Jesus Christ are we at the correct time to to not be losing any players of note to UFA.

Hayes to Philly at 7.14 mill per for 7 years. My god.

Holy hell. I don't have much hope in re-signing Schenn if Kevin Hayes is getting 7+ mill a year. I think Hayes has had 1 season of 50+ points in his career...

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Holy hell. I don't have much hope in re-signing Schenn if Kevin Hayes is getting 7+ mill a year. I think Hayes has had 1 season of 50+ points in his career...
They paid him big to go to a struggling team. I think Schenn might be interested in playing fair ball getting to ride shotgun to Vlad, ROR, Schwartz, and company.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
How does he get that contract after the brutal playoff performance he had for the Jets?

I shouldn’t be shocked at contracts much anymore but that one actually is truly shocking. Wow that’s bad.

I like Hayes but that’s a lot of money. I think the Skinner deal is bad. I guess Hayes is a center at least???

GM’s are kind of shooting them selves in the foot this offseason.

Reactions: Blueston

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Jesus Christ are we at the correct time to to not be losing any players of note to UFA.

Yeah. I’m sure the comps on a Petro and Schenn deal aren’t going to be good for us, but it’s a good time to not be boxed in and filling slots. It looks like the market has swung hard in the players favor right now.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Yeah, what is Duchene going to get now? 10m per? Will Schenn cost us 8M per next year??? If we could somehow fit Duchene in this year and flip Schenn for futures, I’d entertain that, as hard as it would be to trade Schenner after just winning the cup.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island

Ouch. If Hayes gets that much how are we supposed to re-sign Schenn? I mean I get the distinct feeling that Pietro wants to retire in St. Louis, so I think he'll take a bit below market value. But I get no such feeling from Schenn. We're not going to be able to afford both. I wonder if we should start discussing a trade soon.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Don’t sleep on Chicago next year. I keep seeing they’re in on Pavelski, and they’ve got more money to spend after that. Could see Tyler Myers signing there as well as having a top 3 pick. They’re in my mix of bubble teams right now.
I could see Armstrong kicking the tyres on Myers.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Can we afford to sign Myers?
If he would be willing to take a deal in the $5.5m range he is currently on, we have the flexibility to do that without much bother. If he is looking for more, then probably not.

I don't expect we'll get him, but I think it's something that Armstrong will explore more than the big name forwards out there.

The cap situation is currently complicated by the fact that we don't know what the cap for next season is. The earlier projections of $83m look overly optimistic, with the expectation of something close to $81.5m-$82m now.

I'd guess that Edmundson, Sundqvist, Barbashev, Sanford, Blais and Fabbri to get something in the range of $10m between them. That would take us to ~$74m with 21 roster spots filled, so the rest for Binnington and a defenseman. Then there is the possibility of extending Maroon, or adding another forward, and sending MacEachern to the AHL.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm still frustrated over the second game of the Winnipeg series.

O'Reilly was boarded three times in the game, head-first into the boards. All three were penalized, two minutes each.

We have seen this sort of conduct in the playoffs in the past, a boarding to Pietrangelo in a series against the Kings as an example.

Well, we didn't score on the power plays after the hits in the Winnipeg series. And we didn't designate anyone to fight or injure Scheifele (the chief offender). And the league's safety department didn't suspend anyone.

If the league talked to the Jet organization about it, they did it sub rosa.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I really think anyone expecting the Blues to make a big move this off-season is going to be massively let down. We might add a depth defensemen on the left side, but I think other wise it's just a "Keep everyone around" off-season.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Really? He is a righty, and would be behind Pietrangelo and Parayko. Bortuzzo would then be our 7nth D and he is signed for 3 more seasons. (Unless you are thinking we do not re-sign Pietrangelo?)
If there is truth to the talk of our interest in Hamilton last summer, then I don't think him being a righty would be a major issue.

I don't think that we'll get Myers, mainly because I think we'd want someone who provides more offense and that Armstrong won't want to pay the stupid UFA prices for him. I just expect that is who we'll make some calls to. Armstrong will have a vision for the roster, and I doubt that the success of this season will change it too much. I think he'll still be looking for another defenseman.
I really think anyone expecting the Blues to make a big move this off-season is going to be massively let down. We might add a depth defensemen on the left side, but I think other wise it's just a "Keep everyone around" off-season.
I broadly agree with that. Unless we are sure that we aren't going to get Schenn extended, I wouldn't expect anything significant is imminent.

But, Armstrong is still Armstrong. He's one of the more active GMs when it comes to talking.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Yeah, my guess is one or two of the RFA forwards is traded, little else. We are very deep up front, there isn't a spot for all of these guys coming off of their ELC who deserve raises.

I don't see the hurry to sign or trade Schenn. Even trading Eddy is tricky because we dont have a clear replacement. I think Allen will be our backup this year, and I am okay with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad