Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
At least Hamonic can actually defend above average most nights. Plus would be cheaper and shorter term.
If we can somehow move out Faulk, even if for a net loss, then replace him with Hamonic, I'd be quite happy with this D-core. Still not as good as with Pietrangelo, but more sound than it looks now.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
The level of hate for Faulk amazes me. Guy is a darn good player and now that he has more defined role I expect him to have strong season as 2-way defenseman in top 4.
I don't hate Faulk at all. Hell I'm one of the people that has been defending him.. I just think his contract sucks and with Krug on the team i just think he's redundant and would rather have another defensive Defender on the right side.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't hate Faulk at all. Hell I'm one of the people that has been defending him.. I just think his contract sucks and with Krug on the team i just think he's redundant and would rather have another defensive Defender on the right side.
He may be overpaid, but he and Krug are quite different players. Faulk is actually strong defensively. He struggled some on left side bc he had never played there. Back on right he serves as anchor of 2nd pairing. Not worried. Neither he nor Krug are as good as Petro but our D may be better since roles are more clearly defined. Last year was a bit of round peg square hole.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
He may be overpaid, but he and Krug are quite different players. Faulk is actually strong defensively. He struggled some on left side bc he had never played there. Back on right he serves as anchor of 2nd pairing. Not worried. Neither he nor Krug are as good as Petro but our D may be better since roles are more clearly defined. Last year was a bit of round peg square hole.
I never saw much of him in Carolina, so all I had to judge was last year. I'm certainly hoping you're right! I'm more thinking in terms of salary and balancing our top-4. If Faulk can hold his own and we can craft a system where his skillset gets up to use I'd be quite happy.

Besides, especially with this economic state, I doubt many teams in the league could even afford Faulk, even if they wanted him.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Faulk isn’t going to be Pietro, but Faulk has been vilified beyond all reason. He endured a season where he was jerked around with no defined role or accustomed minutes with grace. I also expect him to function more dependably on the 2nd pair next year.

Krug will help make up some of the offense lost with Pietro. Faulk doesn’t have to try to do it all.

It’s true the defensive acumen if this group looks overall less, while the offensive skill is more. Seeing how the coaches apply this roster is going to be fun to watch. One goal leads are probably not going to be as safe either direction.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone considering my past posts. I dislike Faulk, And I will until the day I die. If we didn't have Faulk we still would've had Pietrangelo. I'll eventually warm up to Faulk but it take me a long time.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone considering my past posts. I dislike Faulk, And I will until the day I die. If we didn't have Faulk we still would've had Pietrangelo. I'll eventually warm up to Faulk but it take me a long time.
Honestly, while I wish this was true. I can still see Pietrangelo walking this off-season with or without Faulk on this team.

Reactions: Vollie27

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

"Considering your past posts" would lead people to believe you'll love Faulk in three hours and then claim he's a reptilian clone tomorrow. Disliking him until the day you die is an incredibly strange thing to say about a dude who plays a sport. This and preemptive talks of booing Krug and Faulk at games is toxic garbage that has nothing to do with the game of hockey.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
"Considering your past posts" would lead people to believe you'll love Faulk in three hours and then claim he's a reptilian clone tomorrow. Disliking him until the day you die is an incredibly strange thing to say about a dude who plays a sport. This and preemptive talks of booing Krug and Faulk at games is toxic garbage that has nothing to do with the game of hockey.
Btw didnt Allen get Bronx cheers?

Habs fans booed Price, its going to be tough if Allen continue to suck. Hopefully his mentality stays top notch.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Btw didnt Allen get Bronx cheers?

Habs fans booed Price, its going to be tough if Allen continue to suck. Hopefully his mentality stays top notch.

Yea, fans gave it to Allen a couple times when he played poorly. I'm not a fan of that behavior, but I kinda understand it. By contrast, the premeditated booing of Brewer, no matter how he played, showed an unignorably ugly and damaged side of St. Louis fans. I'll be really disappointed if that happens to Krug.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Oh please. Faulk is NOT strong defensively. He wasn't last year, he wasn't in Carolina, ever, and he isn't going to become so anytime soon. I get that there Faulk bashing is getting tired, and I understand how some of you could find it annoying. Sure, some of it may be overstated. But please don't come in here and insult our intelligence by telling us Faulk is strong defensively.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Didn't Petro attack the fans for booing Allen? Sure is a good captain and face of the "franchise". Pretty sure Tarasenko said the players let Allen down for that to happen and the captain attacked the fans. Thanks for reminding me about that. f*** Petro.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Oh please. Faulk is NOT strong defensively. He wasn't last year, he wasn't in Carolina, ever, and he isn't going to become so anytime soon. I get that there Faulk bashing is getting tired, and I understand how some of you could find it annoying. Sure, some of it may be overstated. But please don't come in here and insult our intelligence by telling us Faulk is strong defensively.
Do you rememer the game where Faulk - Pietro were pair. It was breakaway and Faulk decided to pinch hard on right side where Pietro was and Faulk left his man and side open. There was quite big discussion in the GDT was it right move or not from Faulk. Damnit I can't remember what game it was.

I think that particularly was very good example why Faulk hockey IQ isn't good enough for successful defensive task. He has odd meltdowns at defensively, its really hard to his pair cover up his mistakes.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Do you rememer the game where Faulk - Pietro were pair. It was breakaway and Faulk decided to pinch hard on right side where Pietro was and Faulk left his man and side open. There was quite big discussion in the GDT was it right move or not from Faulk. Damnit I can't remember what game it was.

I think that particularly was very good example why Faulk hockey IQ isn't good enough for successful defensive task. He has odd meltdowns at defensively, its really hard to his pair cover up his mistakes.

Faulk needs Mikkola to cover him and he can do it. People just don't know how smart Mikkola is yet but they'll see.

Reactions: simon IC

Zizzle

Oct 29, 2019
Faulk needs Mikkola to cover him and he can do it. People just don't know how smart Mikkola is yet but they'll see.

I agree. Right now the D is offense heavy with Dunn, Krug, Parakyo, and Faulk being more offensive minded. Gunner and Bortuzzo are more Dminded.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I would rather Mikkola take his biggest task. Play with Parayko and be shutdown dman with Parayko. Mikkola reminds me so much of Jbo, how he skate and play safe. Can defend play hard minutes + good at PK. Only what I see Jbo had better is his passing, but I think Mikkola's passing game will come when he gets years under his belt. Scandella imo isn't fast enough to be that dynamic with Parayko and it slows down Parayko. Parayko needs mobile dmen who can defend well also. Mikkola would be perfect fit. I've been saying this, wait all what I can remember. I did view also Lindbohm would be good fit, but fell short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad