Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The won the conference two years ago, they were knocked out in the first round because of a nonsense penalty last year and they are currently 3 points off their Division leaders... what the hell are the expectations?

Overall, DeBoer had a better roster to work with both years. He lost to them in the playoffs two years ago and only beat them thanks to that previously mentioned ridiculous penalty last season. And he totally tanked with San Jose this season.

This is a totally bizarre decision.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This is a legit head scratcher for me. If not for us already having Berube in place I would be very interested in Gallant. He’s a very good coach.
He shouldn’t be unemployed for long. I’m curious to see what team scoops him up.

Same for Laviolette. After all, he’s taken 3 different teams to the Cup.

Crazy year. Very fortunate to have Berube who has proven he is a top 5 coach right now.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think we'll see Vegas realizing "you don't know what you have until it's gone."

They would've gone deep in the post season and would've been a very difficult matchup for the Blues last year if not for the phantom 5 minute major/collapse. They're like a 3 game winning streak from being in 1st place this year too. I just don't get it unless he didn't see eye to eye with upper management.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I just realized Gallant is going to be coaching the Pacific Division team in the all-star game...while unemployed!

There must be something non-hockey coming out soon, but already having the replacement coach ready to go argued against that.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
He shouldn’t be unemployed for long. I’m curious to see what team scoops him up.

Crazy year. Very fortunate to have Berube who has proven he is a top 5 coach right now.
You heard it here first - The Hawks will fire Colliton and hire Gallant and that will be bad, bad news for the Central.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I had to read 3 articles before I realized it was indeed true cause I thought I was an early April fool's joke. Totally out of left field. Gallant won't be out of work for very long.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

VGK has some of the best underlying numbers in the NHL this season. They've struggled with some tough shooting and saves luck...DeBoer's going to enjoy riding that regression in the back half of the year.
It seems like the dramatic turnaround under Berube last season has given license to GMs to be quick to fire their coaches. Lots of teams are looking for the magic bullet.
That probably plays a part in it, but it's crazy. Our performances, and underlying numbers, under Berube improved in December, but the results weren't much better. I think it was something like 21 points in our first 21 games under Berube.

Difficult to see DeBoer improving the performances or underlying numbers in the short term, so it's a coaching change to hope that Fleury or Subban can start making saves.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Horrible move by Vegas.

DeBeor ain't helping with that. Lavs & Gallant won't be out of jobs for that long. Two of the better coaches who one got hurt by GM making bad trades and other one because they didn't make expectations.

Well I have found the answer.

Bad move IMO by Vegas

Reactions: mk80

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL

Maybe Gallant waits it out and goes expansion round 2 with Seattle. I agree with you about Laviolette and strongly hope he finds a job outside of the division. A few interesting head coaches are unemployed right now and who knows what the Wild will do with BB. Seattle and Detroit might be in the market for a new coach at the exact right moment if enough of these guys take a year off.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I think we'll see Vegas realizing "you don't know what you have until it's gone."

They would've gone deep in the post season and would've been a very difficult matchup for the Blues last year if not for the phantom 5 minute major/collapse. They're like a 3 game winning streak from being in 1st place this year too. I just don't get it unless he didn't see eye to eye with upper management.
The same thought that Florida had when they fired Gallant. There wasn't any need to, the front office just sucks.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
This is a horrible move by Vegas. I wonder if this was mandated more from Foley, or if it was truly the decision of their GM. According to their stats and numbers the only thing really hurting them right now is goaltending that I can see. They are on a 4 game losing skid but despite that only 3 points away from the Coyotes who lead the Pacific Division with 57 points (VGK has 54).

There's no way Pete Deboer is a better coach than Gerard Gallant, if the Knights get better goaltending they will easily recover their position in the standings and most likely win the Pacific, and they would have done that with Gallant behind the bench too. This is an unfathomable decision by Vegas, like I said I question if this was a panic move mandated by ownership. But Gallant won't be unemployed long, I could see him quickly taking the Seattle job, or going to Detroit, Montreal or who knows what other team makes a coaching change if he wants to wait out the end of the season.

If we didn't have Chief and the staff we do, I'd be offering to book Gallant's flight to Lambert with my airline miles for Army. Wherever Gallant goes, I hope it's not in the Central.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
God I wish the Sharks didn’t suck so much so they could face Vegas in the playoffs again. That’d be so entertaining.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Definitely weird. I thought the knights were pretty impressive a couple weeks ago. After falling in an early hole, they fought their way back into it and stole the win away from the Blues. Despite some poor defense on the ice, the knights looked like a motivated team. Odd timing to say the least.

Reactions: mk80
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad