Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
It explains Jori's lack of interest, he had his nose in another place.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I can't help but think the Blues would have made better use of an 11th overall pick. At that time it stung that Colorado got the pick, but they sure didn't get much to show for it.

The Blues ended up taking Schmaltz with the pick that would have gone to Colorado instead (if they'd kept the 11 pick, which would have been possible if it was top 10). Siemens played 20 NHL games. Schmaltz has already played 22. Even though we think his development has been slow, if he sticks this year I think he'll already have eclipsed Siemens career.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I can't help but think the Blues would have made better use of an 11th overall pick. At that time it stung that Colorado got the pick, but they sure didn't get much to show for it.

The Blues ended up taking Schmaltz with the pick that would have gone to Colorado instead (if they'd kept the 11 pick, which would have been possible if it was top 10). Siemens played 20 NHL games. Schmaltz has already played 22. Even though we think his development has been slow, if he sticks this year I think he'll already have eclipsed Siemens career.
We also drafted Ty Rattie with Colorado's 2nd, also part of the EJ deal.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012

While I'd like to think so, since we do tend to draft well, the talent drop off from the 6-10 point in that draft to 11-20 (or all the way to 29 honestly) was pretty sizable

6-10: Zibanejad, Scheifele, Couturier, Hamilton, Brodie (This is one of those drafts were the 6-10 picks are better then the 1-5 picks, btw)
11-15: Siemens, Ryan Murphy, Baertschi, Olesniak, Miller (Miller being the one standout. If I had to guess, if we kept the 11th pick, we take Baertschi and pair him with Rattie to keep the Portland chemistry. Still, pretty meh.
16-20: Armia, Beaulieu, McNeill, Klefbom, Connor Murphy (Once more, one real standout, and a bunch of "eh"

2011, in retrospect, had a fantastic top 10 and some real sleeper hits in Rakell, Gibson, Kucherov, and Gaudreau, but was pretty bland from 11-30. 2012, on the other hand, is the worst draft we might ever see in modern times. Nail Yakupov is probably the least talented No.1 pick of all time and he still isn't the worst pick in that drafts top 5.

.... This is a lot of draft talk without much of a point. I think it comes down to the Blues MIGHT have been able to do better with that pick, but it was extremely unlikely to be a major impact player for us with hindsight.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don’t think the top 10 protection was an arbitrary number. Historically, there is a difference in value after that 10th pick. But I remember fans openly rooting to lose and get into the top 10.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I think it has nothing to do with his nationality and everything to do with the fact he’s an insanely hyped up prospect for a division rival who didn’t make his team out of camp.
Given the Preds forward group, and how highly touted Tolvanen is and has been, it’s clearly a large disappointment to see he is being sent down at this point. A top 10 prospect in the league should be making his NHL team if he’s truly that good.

Says a lot about our three rookies that they are pushing so hard here for NHL time that perhaps Pronman is correct and they are upper class of the league.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think it has nothing to do with his nationality and everything to do with the fact he’s an insanely hyped up prospect for a division rival who didn’t make his team out of camp.
No, It was same with Laine. He was hyped finn and when he succeeded, Blues forum went quiet. There was even Small margin people shouting his shooting % was high, he can't shoot that good he won't score that high rate and what happened.

Next guy who'll be target is Kotkaniemi.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
No, It was same with Laine. He was hyped finn and when he succeeded, Blues forum went quiet. There was even Small margin people shouting his shooting % was high, he can't shoot that good he won't score that high rate and what happened.

There is no anti-Finn sentiment here. Its your imagination. Although there may be some people that yank your chain because you hype Finn prospects so much. They aren't making the comments because they dislike Finns (even you), but because they are trying to counter your overly rosy expectations for those players.

I don't remember anyone being down on Laine, other than not wanting a division rival to succeed at the Blues' expense. I think most everyone realized he was a great talent, and wish he were on the Blues.

Last edited:

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Why there is always same Blues members being happy when finn doesn't success? Just wondering.

Your best response is just to ask another question? It’s not about Toivanen finding success or not. It’s about Nashville and their fans going crazy over him last season thinking he is immediately going to come into the league and be a superstar.

Is it a national pride thing that you care so much about each Finnish player that is drafted or signed? That’s cool if it is. But you take it to the extreme too often.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
There is no anti-Finn sentiment here. Its your imagination. Although there may be some people that rank your chain because you hype Finn prospects so much. They aren't making the comments because they dislike Finns (even you), but because they are trying to counter your overly rosy expectations for those players.

I don't remember anyone being down on Laine, other than not wanting a division rival to succeed at the Blues' expense. I think most everyone realized he was a great talent, and with he were on the Blues.
There was talk about his shooting % in here and assumptions Laine will go down heavily when his shooting % does it too. I won't search them and bring the names up, 'cus its not fair to go that road.

and for @PiggySmalls its not national pride thing I care only finns, biggest thing is that I have followed them at Liiga and I know somethings about them and maybe build hype around them.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
There was talk about his shooting % in here and assumptions Laine will go down heavily when his shooting % does it too. I won't search them and bring the names up, 'cus its not fair to go that road.

and for @PiggySmalls its not national pride thing I care only finns, biggest thing is that I have followed them at Liiga and I know somethings about them and maybe build hype around them.
What's wrong with expecting Laine to regress to a more typical shooting percentage? Someone can believe that without hating Finns.

Reactions: MissouriMook

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
As far as Laine goes, he's had a high shooting % in both seasons, so it's more likely that he sustains that number. His numbers are inline with other players that have high shooting %'s over extended periods of time.

One to watch is MacKinnon who basically doubled his shooting % from his previous 3 seasons. Did he improve or was it uncharacteristically too high.

You want to find players that are out of their norm, not players that are to far from the typical average number.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
There is zero anti Finn from me. Just anti extreme hype. I'm skeptical of guys who come from Europe with extreme success and it translating to NHL ice. I had the same doubts about good ol Murican Austin Matthews. Well guess what....I'm wrong more then right.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

Again, Laine plays for the Jets and he did score on a high % of his shots. But he did it again last year so perhaps he’s just that efficient. There’s more talk about those guys because they play for rivals and are constantly having their tires pumped. It’s not like people here are bashing Sebastian Aho (the Finn) or Sami Vatanen. Hell, even Granlund who plays for the Wild barely registers around here. I think you’re just a bit sensitive to any Finnish player talk. I get it, but I think it’s disingenuous to act like there’s a serious anti-Finn bias on this board.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
As far as Laine goes, he's had a high shooting % in both seasons, so it's more likely that he sustains that number. His numbers are inline with other players that have high shooting %'s over extended periods of time.

One to watch is MacKinnon who basically doubled his shooting % from his previous 3 seasons. Did he improve or was it uncharacteristically too high.

You want to find players that are out of their norm, not players that are to far from the typical average number.
I'm not making a statement about Laine one way or another regarding his shooting percentage. I just think its a reasonable opinion for a poster to hold (that he could regress) without having to be racist.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
At least we're talking about the Finns... positive or negative. No one is talking about the dutch, which is even worse. Dammit... ;)

The Dutch: best country at fieldhockey in the world, best country (by far) at speedskating in the world. You would think we should be able to combine those and play real hockey at a decent level...
We only have one legit player and he hasn't even able to crack the Pittsburgh lineup for more then a couple of games.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
At least we're talking about the Finns... positive or negative. No one is talking about the dutch, which is even worse. Dammit... ;)

The Dutch: best country at fieldhockey in the world, best country (by far) at speedskating in the world. You would think we should be able to combine those and play real hockey at a decent level...
We only have one legit player and he hasn't even able to crack the Pittsburgh lineup for more then a couple of games.

I think Sprong is gonna have a great year. Especially if he stays with Sid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad