Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We all hoped he could've done something like that here. Playing with McDavid and RNH apparently has benefits.

Sure, playing with McDavid is unique, but RNH is nothing special. Good player. But it not like RNH is a franchise caliber center who can make anyone better. Rattie is succeeding in part because of McDavid. But he is also succeeding because he is getting time with good players. He is a complimentary player, not a guy who can drive a 3rd line. Get decent minutes with top 6 caliber players and he does well, add McDavid and he does really well. But thats not all on McD and RNH. Being able to play well with those type of players is its own unique skill set. Complimentary players can be valuable because it allows you to spread your drivers (Draisaitl and McDavid) over two or 3 lines.

Oilers fan coming in peace.

The same could be said about Schultz. Played terrible in Edmonton and looked extremely dis-engaged and then once he got traded to a new team and a system that works for him, he turns it up. So I wouldn't put the blame on the Blues for this. Sometimes players play better with certain players. I mean look at Puljujarvi. Big, strong and skilled winger that has all the tools but his confidence was not there. Once he shortened his stick and had a year to bond with the players, he's now shooting from all cylinders. But life goes on and I'm sure you'll find another diamond in the rough from another team that cast them out.

Good luck this season btw.

I think the post you were responding too was mostly sarcasm. There is only one McDavid. Saying "too bad we didn't have McDavid to make Rattie useful" is silly because who cares about Rattie if you have McDavid. Anyway, good luck to you as well.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Am I alone in thinking Karlsson won't sign an extension with the Sharks? After seeing what Tavares got in free agency, I just think Karlsson is chasing a cup with San Jose this year and will see what's out there next year.
I think that would be awesome. Hope he's Tampa bound :laugh:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Sure, playing with McDavid is unique, but RNH is nothing special. Good player. But it not like RNH is a franchise caliber center who can make anyone better. Rattie is succeeding in part because of McDavid. But he is also succeeding because he is getting time with good players. He is a complimentary player, not a guy who can drive a 3rd line. Get decent minutes with top 6 caliber players and he does well, add McDavid and he does really well. But thats not all on McD and RNH. Being able to play well with those type of players is its own unique skill set. Complimentary players can be valuable because it allows you to spread your drivers (Draisaitl and McDavid) over two or 3 lines.

I think the post you were responding too was mostly sarcasm. There is only one McDavid. Saying "too bad we didn't have McDavid to make Rattie useful" is silly because who cares about Rattie if you have McDavid. Anyway, good luck to you as well.

Actually it didn't matter which one I replied to. Just something I wanted to share as Edmonton has had their fair share of players leave Edmonton and have MUCH better careers in other teams. I did figure it was sarcasm but like I said, you'll find your diamond in the rough with another player.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
At what point does Ottawa stop one upping themselves. Boucher & Dorian gets fired and Melynk appoints himself the new GM and HC?

To be honest, more and more I feel like this is not the actual Ottawa GM/owner but this is just a Saturday Night Live sketch. It can't be real, right? They're freaking tanking for the 32rd overal spot.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Actually it didn't matter which one I replied to. Just something I wanted to share as Edmonton has had their fair share of players leave Edmonton and have MUCH better careers in other teams. I did figure it was sarcasm but like I said, you'll find your diamond in the rough with another player.
I mean he failed in Carolina as well. It's preseason and he's playing with one of the best players in the world. His production per min/60 is actually insane. He finds himself in the right places all the time, his positioning is great. His skating and lack of engagement when he doesn't have the puck was the biggest knock on him while he was here. He was a prolific goal scorer in the WHL and AHL, I had big hopes for Rattie but he just wasn't going to work here as it seems to be successful in the NHL for him he has to be a trigger-man to a great playmaker.

Reactions: ezcreepin

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I mean he failed in Carolina as well. It's preseason and he's playing with one of the best players in the world. His production per min/60 is actually insane. He finds himself in the right places all the time, his positioning is great. His skating and lack of engagement when he doesn't have the puck was the biggest knock on him while he was here. He was a prolific goal scorer in the WHL and AHL, I had big hopes for Rattie but he just wasn't going to work here as it seems to be successful in the NHL for him he has to be a trigger-man to a great playmaker.

I guess. But if you look at his 7 goals this pre-season, 5 of them were without McDavid on the ice. So something is clicking this time around. It's like a total 180.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Wasn't Rattie lighting it up at the end of the regular season last year? Maybe something finally clicked.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Wasn't Rattie lighting it up at the end of the regular season last year? Maybe something finally clicked.
Hoping Jaskin finally can too (asking a lot I know). Imagine if Rattie and Jaskin hit their full potential and Eddy developed like he has. That 2011 second round of the draft would’ve been special.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Good lord Boomer is becoming obnoxious with the Blues and the whole Orielly trade. They're talking fantasy, but he's still on his pedestal herp derpin about everything.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Holy ****. :amazed:

"Cocaine is a helluva drug" - Rick James

Seriously tho, it wouldn't be the first time a person had a great life and career derailed due to cocaine/drugs.
That's a crazy story. Obviously there's a lot to the story we don't know though. He very well could hardly be involved at all. As bad as he is as a player, I wouldn't have ever suspected him to be involved in something like that.

Good lord Boomer is becoming obnoxious with the Blues and the whole Orielly trade. They're talking fantasy, but he's still on his pedestal herp derpin about everything.
But the fantasy pointz that Berglund and Sobotka are gonna put up brah, they can't be matched!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
That's a crazy story. Obviously there's a lot to the story we don't know though. He very well could hardly be involved at all. As bad as he is as a player, I wouldn't have ever suspected him to be involved in something like that.

But the fantasy pointz that Berglund and Sobotka are gonna put up brah, they can't be matched!
He suggested it would be funny if Thompson outscored Oreilly...... at this point its obvious it's become more of a personal point to him since literally everyone else has said he's an idiot for thinking it was a dumb trade.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He suggested it would be funny if Thompson outscored Oreilly...... at this point its obvious it's become more of a personal point to him since literally everyone else has said he's an idiot for thinking it was a dumb trade.
Haha, I mean yeah it'd be funny if Thorburn outscored McDavid also but grasping at straws at something that has no chance of happening just makes him look like such an idiot.

Reactions: Dbrownss

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Seth Jones out 4-6 weeks. Columbus gonna look hard for someone to fill in their top 4. He is such a good defenseman. Hate it for him.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Seth Jones our 4-6 weeks. Columbus gonna look hard for someone to fill in their top 4. He is such a good defenseman. Hate it for him.
Meh. I mean in a month it's still late October and still very early in the season. That's not something I feel bad about for him or them.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm not very high on Columbus to begin with. They were a bubble team going into this year who has to get past teams like Florida, Flyers, and the Devils. That team is going to be something next season...and probably not for a good reason.

Edit: grammer

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueDream

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
For the record, Lehtera is far from the only NHL player dipping their nose in the snow. I'd be shocked if at least 30% of the league wasn't using coke regularly.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I'm not very high on Columbus to begin with. They were bubble team going into this year who has to get passed teams like Florida, Flyers, and Devils. That team is going to be something next season...mand probably not for a good reason.

That’s how I look at it. Jones and Werenski are relied upon heavily. Losing their #1D is gonna hurt. Especially since their other options on the right side is Adam Clendening or David Savard.

Reactions: Dbrownss

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

There is a significant difference between playing with good players, and playing with McDavid, that we agree. One is a generational talent, the other is a 3rd line. We both agree that he is benefiting from playing with McDavid, but anyone who plays with him raises their stock because he is just THAT good. Yakupov, Pouliot, Maroon, and now Rattie are reaping the benefits, but I don't necessarily think that means he's a good complimentary player. My comment was more so recognizing the fact that we were rightfully high on him at a time, but he didn't turn out to be good enough to stick. He could end up being a good option to McDavid and maybe score 20 or 30 goals, but again, I doubt he would ever manage that anywhere else not playing with a McD or Crosby. Anywho...

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
For the record, Lehtera is far from the only NHL player dipping their nose in the snow. I'd be shocked if at least 30% of the league wasn't using coke regularly.
Careful now...it is far from clear if Lehtera was involved in drug trafficking, much less actually using any drugs.

Still a wild story tho.

That’s how I look at it. Jones and Werenski are relied upon heavily. Losing their #1D is gonna hurt. Especially since their other options on the right side is Adam Clendening or David Savard.

Pretty sure Gunnar can play the right side... ( :sarcasm:? )

Reactions: PiggySmalls

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Ovechkin 2.0 not as ready as some promised? The hype did kinda die off

He is most overrated prospect in league. Was he good pick where they took him? Yes. Is he one of top 10 prospects in league? Not close. I think he has chance to be nice player, but people way overreacted to the season he had in watered-down KHL.

Reactions: The Note in MI

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He is most overrated prospect in league. Was he good pick where they took him? Yes. Is he one of top 10 prospects in league? Not close. I think he has chance to be nice player, but people way overreacted to the season he had in watered-down KHL.
I didnt watch much outside of highlights, which I dont put much stock in as I see euro leagues as sub AHL quality.

I just found it funny given the hype train behind this guy. Same with Petterson, he's going to be good but lets cool it with the next Forsberg or 2nd to McDavid in production

Reactions: Blueston

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well...if Preseaon is any indicator...Buffalo is in for another Buffalo season :laugh:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I didnt watch much outside of highlights, which I dont put much stock in as I see euro leagues as sub AHL quality.

I just found it funny given the hype train behind this guy. Same with Petterson, he's going to be good but lets cool it with the next Forsberg or 2nd to McDavid in production
Does Klim Kostin had better camp or pre-season then Tolvanen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad