Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
This Pens crowd today has got to be the quietest playoff crowd I've ever heard. Nothing like in Boston last night.
Yeah, they’re like the Braves fans of the late 1990s. They know the playoffs don’t really start until the 3rd round. Too bad they won’t make it there.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I watched half of the game, and I'm tryimg to understand how the Penguins don't get swept at the rate theyre going.

I'm also going to say that Crosby is not having a good series by any stretch. I don't notice him in a good way, I don't see him controlling the play by any stretch, anything like that.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Pens are done. But, they’ve played a ton of hockey over the last few years. Probably best for them to get some rest this summer and get back at it next year.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Can they though? I mean Crosby and Malkin aren't getting any younger.
They probably can. As long as they can stay healthy then their games should age well, and they have the experience of knowing how to win.

The Penguins are also in a bit of an easier position from a GM's perspective as well. Almost every other GM is balancing the win now aspect with protecting the future, but the Penguins are entirely Crosby & Malkin and that means everything is about winning now. So it's just about finding cap space to make roster moves for them.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Pens are done. But, they’ve played a ton of hockey over the last few years. Probably best for them to get some rest this summer and get back at it next year.
They are tracking just like the Hawks did when the Blues ousted them. Lucky for us the Hawks got some high draft picks, a slam dunk trade and a home run pick in Debrincat to kick off their retool :help:

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
CBJ is so big, fast, and skilled. Wish their game today didn't conflict with the Blues because I love watching this series.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Sharks would be scary as hell if they had a goalie. But like I said, they have no chance of winning the Cup with Jones.

Edit: The NHL better not let Thornton get away with his headshot on Nosek. That is 100% suspension-worthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TK 421 and mk80

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Sharks would be scary as hell if they had a goalie. But like I said, they have no chance of winning the Cup with Jones.

Edit: The NHL better not let Thornton get away with his headshot on Nosek. That is 100% suspension-worthy.
I can't stand all the Thornton love. "He's such a great guy." BS. He nearly killed Perron. I'd rather any other team win the Cup this year than SJ just so that SOB doesn't get any more adulation.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Kari gets the rest of the first round off ... which could be 3 games, or 5 games.

Way to go, DoPS. Way to take a definitive stand there. I won't be shocked to see this get appealed on the grounds that a variable length suspension isn't fair to the player, and for that to succeed.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Kari gets the rest of the first round off ... which could be 3 games, or 5 games.

Way to go, DoPS. Way to take a definitive stand there. I won't be shocked to see this get appealed on the grounds that a variable length suspension isn't fair to the player, and for that to succeed.
Torres got similar suspension a few years back.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Torres got similar suspension a few years back.
The Hossa hit in the playoffs? He got 25 games [the balance of the playoffs; anything unserved there carried over to the following season], reduced to 21 on appeal. But it was a stated amount.

This? This is clearly just "whatever it takes to keep him out of the series" which I think should happen at a minimum, but have some balls and set a number on it.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The Hossa hit in the playoffs? He got 25 games [the balance of the playoffs; anything unserved there carried over to the following season], reduced to 21 on appeal. But it was a stated amount.

This? This is clearly just "whatever it takes to keep him out of the series" which I think should happen at a minimum, but have some balls and set a number on it.
Not sure what your issue is. This is exactly what they did to Torre (link below). I’d have liked longer but variable number of games shouldn’t be an issue.

NHL playoffs 2013: Raffi Torres suspended rest of series | The Star

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Not sure what your issue is. This is exactly what they did to Torre (link below). I’d have liked longer but variable number of games shouldn’t be an issue.

NHL playoffs 2013: Raffi Torres suspended rest of series | The Star
I was looking back a year at this one:

Coyotes' Torres suspended 25 games for Hossa hit

That said, I thought the Torres ruling was also chickenshit because while it ended up being 6 games because the series went 7, it could have easily just been 3 which would have been far too light.

Set a number that you think is appropriate, let it roll from there; if it ends up carrying into the next round or into next season, fine. You've stated definitively what the punishment is, instead of doing a duck-and-cover "we don't want to actually go on record and say how many games it was worth, so let's just make sure he's at least not around for the rest of this series and if it ends up only being 3 games, hey - we're cool with that."

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Stars are all over Nashville right now! This is probably the best game I've ever seen the Stars play in years, then again I don't watch too many Stars games.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

It’s weird because it also penalizes his team and impacts coaching decisions. I think the point of the decision is to provide some compromise that mitigates the uncertainty for the team.

I would argue that’s the player’s fault anyway, but it does suck that it compromises Toronto’s playoff strategy. I guess I don’t have a big problem with the variable length suspension in that context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad