Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
It's especially strange considering Buffalo is 17th in the league in goals/game. It's not like the offense is setting the world on fire and they can't get a save. They're mediocre offensively and defensively.

It was just very jarring to read "we need more from the goalies" without some qualifying statement about everybody needing to be better. Reinhart himself has been very good, but there's lots of blame to go around for the team's struggles(as there usually is with every struggling team.)

He backed away from the comments today.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
At some point at the end of the season, I’m going to have to find that Buffalo circle jerk thread on how good that trade was for Buffalo where the guy proclaimed the trio of Berglund, Sobotka, and Tage Thompson would outscore Ryan O’Reilly significantly as if 3 guys outscoring 1 was a big deal.

Everyone has teams they sort of believe in and ones they don’t. For me, it was Buffalo and Minnesota that I just didn’t and won’t.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it quickly Who will have more points this year in the ROR deal?

Berglund + Thompson > Ryan O’Reilly :laugh:

Never gets old
You can add up the points Sobotka, Thompson and Berglund have all accumulated, DOUBLE it, and ROR still has more.

That’ll be a fun bump at the end of the season.

Reactions: Blueston

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
So in a world where the Blues aren’t winning the draft lottery (increasingly likely), I’ve kind of started looking at who I would like to see Jack Hughes end up with.

I’m not sure how the rest of you feel about them, but how about the New York Rangers? Eastern Conference team that’s relatively devoid of talent up front. Think the NHL is better when they’re good and getting an American name in that market certainly can’t hurt the growth of the game.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
So in a world where the Blues aren’t winning the draft lottery (increasingly likely), I’ve kind of started looking at who I would like to see Jack Hughes end up with.

I’m not sure how the rest of you feel about them, but how about the New York Rangers? Eastern Conference team that’s relatively devoid of talent up front. Think the NHL is better when they’re good and getting an American name in that market certainly can’t hurt the growth of the game.
Coyotes so I can watch him here in Houston.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Ive spent some time reading the CBJ board and they have good info on Panarin. According to Panarin, he has not narrowed himself to one team a la Shattenkirk, but instead has many teams he’s thinking about - including the CBJ. He had a very candid interview, and I think he truly means this; not just FA bullshit.

He really wants the things money can’t buy - so I’m guessing this can be interpreted as location, friends, and championships. He loves being the #1 guy in CBJ though.

If we could swing Bob and Panarin, we’d have a good chance of signing him, I think. Because we have Tarasenko, we might have a chance. If Tarasenko was selling Bread to us all those years ago, Artemi must not have been completely uninterested in signing in STL. He’s still considering CBJ, so STL isn’t out of the running due to location. CBJ is not going to be able to sign Bob, though.

Go read the last three pages of the Panarin Situation thread for full context; they have a few Russian members that are really good at finding quotes.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ive spent some time reading the CBJ board and they have good info on Panarin. According to Panarin, he has not narrowed himself to one team a la Shattenkirk, but instead has many teams he’s thinking about - including the CBJ. He had a very candid interview, and I think he truly means this; not just FA bull****.

He really wants the things money can’t buy - so I’m guessing this can be interpreted as location, friends, and championships. He loves being the #1 guy in CBJ though.

If we could swing Bob and Panarin, we’d have a good chance of signing him, I think. Because we have Tarasenko, we might have a chance. If Tarasenko was selling Bread to us all those years ago, Artemi must not have been completely uninterested in signing in STL. He’s still considering CBJ, so STL isn’t out of the running due to location. CBJ is not going to be able to sign Bob, though.

Go read the last three pages of the Panarin Situation thread for full context; they have a few Russian members that are really good at finding quotes.
I just read the quotes and I don't really agree with your position.

He's 100% not considering Columbus at all and he's definitely not re-signing there. He said literally everything he possibly could without actually saying "f*** this place."

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Ive spent some time reading the CBJ board and they have good info on Panarin. According to Panarin, he has not narrowed himself to one team a la Shattenkirk, but instead has many teams he’s thinking about - including the CBJ. He had a very candid interview, and I think he truly means this; not just FA bull****.

Panarin would have absolutely signed if we had tried to when Tarasenko was pushing for us to go after him, that was over 2 years before he'd get an NHL deal and 18 months before anyone else was showing interest. A big part of the reason he went to Chicago is that they were the first team to show serious interest and pursue aggressively.

Now he has the choice of whatever team he wants, who knows what his interest in signing here would be. I'd assume that it wouldn't be particularly high. He can get more money, lower tax, more favouable travel, a better contender, etc, elsewhere. There might well be other factors in play, but if the Blue Jackets believed that they were still in the running... why would they sell? Load up for a playoff run and try and convince him to stay. If they trade him then they know they have no chance, and that means STL isn't likely to be on the list.

I'd be looking at UFA rather than trade for Panarin.

Reactions: MissouriMook

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
Panarin would have absolutely signed if we had tried to when Tarasenko was pushing for us to go after him, that was over 2 years before he'd get an NHL deal and 18 months before anyone else was showing interest. A big part of the reason he went to Chicago is that they were the first team to show serious interest and pursue aggressively.

Now he has the choice of whatever team he wants, who knows what his interest in signing here would be. I'd assume that it wouldn't be particularly high. He can get more money, lower tax, more favouable travel, a better contender, etc, elsewhere. There might well be other factors in play, but if the Blue Jackets believed that they were still in the running... why would they sell? Load up for a playoff run and try and convince him to stay. If they trade him then they know they have no chance, and that means STL isn't likely to be on the list.

Also their recent success with Stanley cups at the time helped

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
FLA will be on Panarins short list if they're interested and reportedly they are.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It's your daily Anaheim Ducks update:

Losing 4-0 to the Flyers after the 1st period.

I just can't look away. They are getting beatdown every single night and their management is just like "yep, Carlyle is still doing good enough to keep his job!" It's insane and I've never seen anything like it.

Reactions: Alklha

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It's your daily Anaheim Ducks update:

Losing 4-0 to the Flyers after the 1st period.

I just can't look away. They are getting beatdown every single night and their management is just like "yep, Carlyle is still doing good enough to keep his job!" It's insane and I've never seen anything like it.
Just said the same in the game thread, no idea how Carlyle is still behind the bench.

Unless they are just committed to going for the best possible pick before getting rid in the summer. It's a hell of an achievement to be this bad over 21 games.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

That what I’m saying. I don’t think CBj will trade him, but I do think he ultimately doesn’t sign there due to a lack of Russians and their animosity - not just their disinterest - towards Bob. I don’t think they are a package deal but I believe Bob’s treatment by the organization has soured Panarin at least somewhat.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Panarin didn’t say he ruled out Columbus, but the way he answered the question made it clear that he pretty much has. He also has been clear that there is no trade/sign route, he plans to g0 to July 1st, period. So trading for him is a pure rental. I wouldn’t do that.

I’m sure Columbus aren’t happy about it, but I respect Panarin for his honesty about this. He’s given the Bluejackets the best info he can. They won’t lose him for nothing unless the deliberately choose to.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
He’s great but wouldn’t pay price will take to acquire him knowing he is unlikely to resign.
I know I was thinking what if we could sign him as an FA. We have the Tarasenko connection so I don't think it's impossible, but it's probably wishful thinking. People seem to think he wants to go back to Chicago which kind of surprises me considering they were the ones who shipped him to Columbus in the first place.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I know I was thinking what if we could sign him as an FA. We have the Tarasenko connection so I don't think it's impossible, but it's probably wishful thinking. People seem to think he wants to go back to Chicago which kind of surprises me considering they were the ones who shipped him to Columbus in the first place.
He says he hasn’t picked where yet (though he strongly hinted won’t be someplace like Columbus). Florida and New York teams seem high on his list too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad