Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I still don’t understand why some Defensemen think it’s ok to push the opposition into their own goalie. The goalie is almost always in a vulnerable position.

There’s nothing in hockey that frustrates me more.

D-man pushes the forward into the net and then almost immediately everyone jumps the guy as if he did something wrong

Reactions: MissouriMook

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Rattie back on waivers :laugh: I thought he was going to score 70 on McDavid's wing. f***ing Oilers fans obsession with their dime a dozen players.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Oilers place rattie and spooner on waivers. They basically turned eberle into nothing (actually, potentially dead cap space). Can’t believe we’re still having this conversation about the oilers - what are we on, year 7 of their rebuild?

What could have been for them if they had kept Hall and Eberle. Huge hindsight, but even more of they hadn’t traded the 16th overall for career AHL’er Reinhardt and instead picked the guy who was selected at 16 - Barzal, and if they had selected Tkachuk over Puljujarvi. Imagine the following lineup:
Hall-McDavid-Tkatchuk
Eberle-Barzal-pick a player
Pick a player - Draisatl-RNH
Of course, their d-corps would still suck.

They have 3 legitimate d-men, 2 great centers and one very good center...and that’s it. After having 4 1st overall picks and two other top 5 picks, and another top 10 pick over the last 8 years or so.

Perfect storm of bad luck (Yakupov, MPS, and potentially Puljujarvi - they weren’t viewed as bad picks at the time; plus Lucic turning into a horrific player at age 29), bad trades (Eberle for Strome for Spooner; Hall for Larsson, 16th overall for Reinhardt), and bad roster management. It’s unbelievable that they still don’t have a legit top 6 winger (I view Draisatl as a center), and no #1 d-man. What a wreck, with no end in sight.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Oilers place rattie and spooner on waivers. They basically turned eberle into nothing (actually, potentially dead cap space). Can’t believe we’re still having this conversation about the oilers - what are we on, year 7 of their rebuild?

What could have been for them if they had kept Hall and Eberle. Huge hindsight, but even more of they hadn’t traded the 16th overall for career AHL’er Reinhardt and instead picked the guy who was selected at 16 - Barzal, and if they had selected Tkachuk over Puljujarvi. Imagine the following lineup:
Hall-McDavid-Tkatchuk
Eberle-Barzal-pick a player
Pick a player - Draisatl-RNH
Of course, their d-corps would still suck.

They have 3 legitimate d-men, 2 great centers and one very good center...and that’s it. After having 4 1st overall picks and two other top 5 picks, and another top 10 pick over the last 8 years or so.

Perfect storm of bad luck (Yakupov, MPS, and potentially Puljujarvi - they weren’t viewed as bad picks at the time; plus Lucic turning into a horrific player at age 29), bad trades (Eberle for Strome for Spooner; Hall for Larsson, 16th overall for Reinhardt), and bad roster management. It’s unbelievable that they still don’t have a legit top 6 winger (I view Draisatl as a center), and no #1 d-man. What a wreck, with no end in sight.
Longer than that. Technically it started back in 2007. We're in 2019 now and they have McDavid and Draisaitl surrounded by literal AHL talent.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Rattie has been bad for Rattie's NHL career.
I won’t argue that, but he looked like a pre-season all star not long ago. Hiring a coach that already knows him well and doesn’t have a high opinion of him had to hurt his chances of sticking longer. Hitch literally called him “Number 12” at one of the first post-game pressers.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I won’t argue that, but he looked like a pre-season all star not long ago. Hiring a coach that already knows him well and doesn’t have a high opinion of him had to hurt his chances of sticking longer. Hitch literally called him “Number 12” at one of the first post-game pressers.
Guys who shy away from contact and don't go to dirty areas always look better in preseason bc (unless you are Tom Wilson) there is less hitting.

He hasn't had a goal in over 2 months (and only 2 all season). Half of his 6 assists came in 1 game. If his success is dependent on having a coach who hasn't figured out that he isn't very good that doesn't seem like a sustainable career plan.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I wonder what Rattie thought when they hired Hitchcock. That may have been bad for his NHL career.
Not sure about HF policy on profanity in pictures so let me know if this isn't appropriate. Below was a post on Reddit when Hitchcock got hired by the Oilers. The user is from Airdrie (where Rattie grew up) and has friends who are close with Rattie. I believe he's posted multiple stories about Rattie and how his constant partying was having a negative effect on his career, and how he put in a lot of work over the past offseason to secure a spot next to McDavid on the top line.

Edit: Profanity behind spoiler
upload_2019-1-21_12-41-59.png

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not sure about HF policy on profanity in pictures so let me know if this isn't appropriate. Below was a post on Reddit when Hitchcock got hired by the Oilers. The user is from Airdrie (where Rattie grew up) and has friends who are close with Rattie. I believe he's posted multiple stories about Rattie and how his constant partying was having a negative effect on his career, and how he put in a lot of work over the past offseason to secure a spot next to McDavid on the top line.

View attachment 178067
Wow, bet that happens to a lot of busts. Some players can rely on skill in the juniors, but never develop the work ethic needed for the pros. Maybe he deserves some credit for realizing he needs to work in the off-season, but too little too late.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

View attachment 178067
Thanks for sharing. I take it with a grain of salt, but its totally plausible.

I don't lay the blame for any of this with Hitchcock, btw. I just think Rattie may have stuck out the year with a different coach who needed more time to form an opinion of him. On the other hand, if Rattie learned to play the way Hitchcock demands, he would probably be able to carve out an NHL career as an effective bottom 6 player. As it is, I don't think he has many chances left. There aren't many teams that need top 6 wingers as badly as Edmonton, and he can't even stick there.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
For the bad moves that Armstrong has made, at least we know it could be a lot worse when looking at Chiarelli and the Oilers.

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
Longer than that. Technically it started back in 2007. We're in 2019 now and they have McDavid and Draisaitl surrounded by literal AHL talent.
Yep!

They handled Cogliano (2005 draft) well with two years in college post-draft, but the shit show started in 2007 with Gagner.

2007 Gagner was thrown to the wolves immediately and never fully developed. I was a huge fan of Sam Gagner and he was actually starting to put it all together during the lockout season. What a shame?! He could have been a great player and now has a bad rep for how crappy his management has been.

2008 They did ok with managing Eberle,
2009 Paajarvi was a draft whiff.
2010 Hall was rushed, but turned out pretty good and traded for a sub-par D-man.
2011 RNH was rushed and has not fully developed and Kelfbom was definitely rushed.
2012 Yakupov was rushed and also a draft whiff.
2013 Nurse is not bad, but rushed.

etc etc

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

Edit: Profanity behind spoiler
We don't generally want it visible in images. It's censored for a reason.

You can put it behind spoiler tags with a warning, if you think it otherwise contributes to the discussion.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Chiarelli at it once again.

Today Ryan Spooner is on waivers.

Traded Eberle for Ryan Strome. Then traded Ryan Strome for Ryan Spooner. So essentially got nothing for Eberle

Now they give Mikko Koskinen a 3 year extension at 4.5 mill AAV after 25 games this season (Career total of 29 NHL games)...

How this guy still has a job is beyond me unless you want your team destroyed.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Rattie back on waivers :laugh: I thought he was going to score 70 on McDavid's wing. ****ing Oilers fans obsession with their dime a dozen players.

He looked like he belonged until Hitchcock came in. Nobody thought he was going to score 70, they just hoped a young guy was turning the corner. It was obvious this would happen when Hitch got brought in.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I like the Athletic, but I just wish they had more Leafs coverage. It's really not fair that nearly half of their articles at least mention some other team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Joe Pavelski has 27 goals........

I honestly feel we should drop the whole gotta sell players before their 30s because the decline will kills us. Great players remain great players.

Reactions: Irish Blues

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Joe Pavelski has 27 goals........

I honestly feel we should drop the whole gotta sell players before their 30s because the decline will kills us. Great players remain great players.
I think it really just depends on skillset. A Pavelski-type player will almost always age better than a Backes-type. To me it should always be case by case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad