OT: Around the NHL - Dallas/Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Point got the Kuznetsov treatment, he was the one player that really drove the team and put them over the top but likely did not win the Smythe due to the media darling status of players like Ovechkin and Hedman. Same thing with Phil and Sid in 2016, though I think Ovi and Sid (in 2016) were given the award more for "legacy" reasons.

Hedman was the best player for Tampa throughout the first three rounds.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I thought Tampa was IDENTICAL to the Caps in 2018. I thought Hedman was the reason they moved swiftly to the Cup Finals. I thought Carlson was equally that good in the first 3 rounds of 2018. I thought Carlson deserved it.

Realistically... IF Sid or Ovy were on Tampa, they would have gotten it over Hedman. I really do.

Reactions: Andy99

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Point got the Kuznetsov treatment, he was the one player that really drove the team and put them over the top but likely did not win the Smythe due to the media darling status of players like Ovechkin and Hedman. Same thing with Phil and Sid in 2016, though I think Ovi and Sid (in 2016) were given the award more for "legacy" reasons.

Little bit different IMO. I thought Kuznetsov was the clear winner for the Conn Smythe. Sid was a deserving winner and had a case for it. We were pretty even when it came to the standouts. My vote actually would have gone to Bonino that year.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Little bit different IMO. I thought Kuznetsov was the clear winner for the Conn Smythe. Sid was a deserving winner and had a case for it. We were pretty even when it came to the standouts. My vote actually would have gone to Bonino that year.

My take:

2016 Phil
2018 Kuzy
2020 Point

I also think Duncan Keith should have won it in 2010 and 2013 as well. I think Sid's case in 2016 was as strong as it was in 2009 but he had a standout player to compete with both years, Geno could not be denied and the voting press absolutely hated Kessel so it is what it is.

Hedman 100% deserves the Smythe, no argument from me but I just don't think TBL would have been able to have the jam they did without Point's playoff performance. Oh well...

Reactions: wheelz87

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
My take:

2016 Phil
2018 Kuzy
2020 Point

I also think Duncan Keith should have won it in 2010 and 2013 as well. I think Sid's case in 2016 was as strong as it was in 2009 but he had a standout player to compete with both years, Geno could not be denied and the voting press absolutely hated Kessel so it is what it is.

Hedman 100% deserves the Smythe, no argument from me but I just don't think TBL would have been able to have the jam they did without Point's playoff performance. Oh well...

I agree with that point #dadjokes

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
It was all Hedman, Point & Kucherov. Pierre had to throw in a 3rd vote for Vasilesky :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Bonino? in 15-16? It was Sid or Letang. Clear cut. Anyone thinking Kessel should've got it wasn't paying attention to that team.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Bonino? in 15-16? It was Sid or Letang. Clear cut. Anyone thinking Kessel should've got it wasn't paying attention to that team.

Yes. I stand by my opinion. Absolute warrior in 15/16. 18 points to go with some of the most inspiring D zone work.

Also on Pens:
2nd EV points
3rd overall points
1st +/-
GF% - 63%
HDGF% - 80%
SV% was .932% when he was on the ice.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Imagine having a beast like this on your blueline... Imagine... All we can do. Hopefully Marino hits this level one day.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yes. I stand by my opinion. Absolute warrior in 15/16. 18 points to go with some of the most inspiring D zone work.

Also on Pens:
2nd EV points
3rd overall points
1st +/-
GF% - 63%
HDGF% - 80%
SV% was .932% when he was on the ice.

Bonino is what made HBK as good as it was. It is a shame we didnt just keep him at 4x4. Honestly think we could have gone on to win that 3rd cup. Kessel wasnt the same without him.

I know during our 2nd cup that was broken up but Bonino was hurt for most of the playoffs.

For that first run tho, it wasn't just about how many points he had but when. The timely goals and assists to Kessel/Hags for game winners in crucial games against both the Caps and Tampa.

If Kessel finishes on his chances in the finals against the Sharks he would have gotten CS, but missed out on multiple scoring chances. While Sid stepped his game up to finish that series.

YYCLetangStan

Aug 6, 2020
Calgary

It should’ve been either Phil or Bonino IMO. Sid was pretty much neutralized in the finals by Vlasic-Braun. I love Letang but I’d hesitate to give him the nod as well.

Personally I wish the Conn Smythe would move over to a NBA-like concept and just be awarded to the best player in the finals. End of the day, finals > other playoff series in terms of significance

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It should’ve been either Phil or Bonino IMO. Sid was pretty much neutralized in the finals by Vlasic-Braun. I love Letang but I’d hesitate to give him the nod as well.

Personally I wish the Conn Smythe would move over to a NBA-like concept and just be awarded to the best player in the finals. End of the day, finals > other playoff series in terms of significance

Sid was better than Kessel in the SCF. As was Letang.

Sid's play over the ECF and SCF was what sealed the Smythe.

If the Smythe was judged on the Finals it is Kris Letang no doubt.

Set up Bonino on the GWG in G1, Set up Sheary on the GWG in G2, Set up Malkin on the PP for the GWG in G4 and then scored the GWG in G6.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sid was better than Kessel in the SCF. As was Letang.

Sid's play over the ECF and SCF was what sealed the Smythe.

If the Smythe was judged on the Finals it is Kris Letang no doubt.

Set up Bonino on the GWG in G1, Set up Sheary on the GWG in G2, Set up Malkin on the PP for the GWG in G4 and then scored the GWG in G6.

And that the contributions came in the wins. He was invisible in the losses but the biggest difference maker in those wins (Letang was a little bigger in the finals but not the ECF s you said; Phil, I think you could argue, was similarly impactful in both series as Sid, but a little of the impact came in losses and half of the finals impact came on the PP).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
And that the contributions came in the wins. He was invisible in the losses but the biggest difference maker in those wins (Letang was a little bigger in the finals but not the ECF s you said; Phil, I think you could argue, was similarly impactful in both series as Sid, but a little of the impact came in losses and half of the finals impact came on the PP).

HBK padded their stats in the losses in the second half of the Tampa Bay and SJ series.

That's why Sid won. He killed it in the ECF and SCF.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bonino is what made HBK as good as it was. It is a shame we didnt just keep him at 4x4. Honestly think we could have gone on to win that 3rd cup. Kessel wasnt the same without him.

I know during our 2nd cup that was broken up but Bonino was hurt for most of the playoffs.

For that first run tho, it wasn't just about how many points he had but when. The timely goals and assists to Kessel/Hags for game winners in crucial games against both the Caps and Tampa.

If Kessel finishes on his chances in the finals against the Sharks he would have gotten CS, but missed out on multiple scoring chances. While Sid stepped his game up to finish that series.
I think Hagelin and Kessels chemistry is what made that line good and Bones fitting into the grinder part of that who identified when to spring his wingers loose. When he was with those two, Bones was good.

When he wasn't, Bones was the great Houdini with his disappearing acts. But he'd show up for the playoffs to lay his body on the line. You can get that without pining for Bones. The issue since he left is more so this team never keeping anyone as the 3c to grow. It's been panic after panic flipping players on and off that line.

Since bones left the 3rd line lost its entire identity. L1,2 and 4 all have an "identity" for the most part. So it is odd to see them f*** around with that 3rd line so much instead of giving anything else a shot and letting it play out. McCann looked good as a C, I believe his metrics and analytics and all that bs also back it up as well as the eye test. The issue is the team moved the type of winger that looked good there in Kahun.

Galchenyuk, McCann, Kahun looked good
Kahun, McCann, Simon looked good
Kahun, McCann, Hornqvist also looked good.

See a trend?

They say the 3rd line is an issue. Yet keep f***ing with McCann as a winger. Moved Kahun, then really didn't do much with that 3rd line, they used the 3rd line as a placeholder for players they didn't know where they fit.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Re: next season

What I was told from my people and #sources is a desired at least 48 game season. Likely January start. Wait to see what places can hold fans and how many. They know that a few teams can't (NY area, California, Canadian cities) or probably won't but they'll use what they have in terms of what's coming in revenue wise and do an even split among all 31 teams in the spirit of fairness.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Re: next season

What I was told from my people and #sources is a desired at least 48 game season. Likely January start. Wait to see what places can hold fans and how many. They know that a few teams can't (NY area, California, Canadian cities) or probably won't but they'll use what they have in terms of what's coming in revenue wise and do an even split among all 31 teams in the spirit of fairness.
48 games is fine. It's like a reset season because of this one. I just hope they decide on that numbEr. If you start the season mid December then you can end in April like normal and have it all end on time for a proper off season. Teams sort of had a long one this year and then games and then a break again. It'd be a weird to start January or February as most teams play 42~ games from January on. You'd be condensing it too much if you'd start near the end of January.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Yeah, I mean I wouldn't have cared all that much if Kessel won it, but I'm shocked at how many people think he was "robbed". He finished a whopping 3 points ahead of Sid, despite not getting the same sort of responsibilities Sid has. It's not like Kessel finished with 30 points and still lost to Sid.

At the end of the day, any one of Sid/Letang/Murray/Kessel would have been worthy winners. I have my preference, but I don't think if any one of those 4 won the other 3 would have been "robbed".

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I mean I wouldn't have cared all that much if Kessel won it, but I'm shocked at how many people think he was "robbed". He finished a whopping 3 points ahead of Sid, despite not getting the same sort of responsibilities Sid has. It's not like Kessel finished with 30 points and still lost to Sid.

At the end of the day, any one of Sid/Letang/Murray/Kessel would have been worthy winners. I have my preference, but I don't think if any one of those 4 won the other 3 would have been "robbed".

Reminded me of Williams in 2014. Kopitar was clearly the much better player.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sid was also carrying around an AHLer in Sheary going up against 1s and put up similar production to the stacked HBK line against 3s. Sid deserved it.
Sheary also scored 18 while spending more time on the 3rd line that one year. He's a better depth player than you or most want to give any credit to.

Understand one thing. Your issue is with how Sullivan uses him. Let that marinate a little. He doesn't go to Sully and say yo fam use me on Sid's wing so we can market that sid and grown kids thing now yo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad