OT: Around the NHL: Countdown to the Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I understand that reaction given the way that she phrased her criticism. Personally, I think there's an awfully thin line between honoring service and creating empty theater. I'm not a vet, but if I were, I'd rather the NHL donate to the VA and skip the pageantry.

I am a vet & I think this is great. This is who we are & what we sacrificed to become the world’s greatest country in history. Here’s an interesting fact to consider: only 3% of the current US population has ever served. We absolutely should reconnect the public with our people in uniform when we can. The league is working in conjunction with the DoD to put on a tasteful display highlighting both the sport we love & those who choose to serve. Maybe just maybe, some kid is out there watching this game & thinks it would be cool to serve something greater than him/herself. I’m all for this...

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I am a vet & I think this is great. This is who we are & what we sacrificed to become the world’s greatest country in history. Here’s an interesting fact to consider: only 3% of the current US population has ever served. We absolutely should reconnect the public with our people in uniform when we can. The league is working in conjunction with the DoD to put on a tasteful display highlighting both the sport we love & those who choose to serve. Maybe just maybe, some kid is out there watching this game & thinks it would be cool to serve something greater than him/herself. I’m all for this...

Man, that's an awfully loaded statement. I'm afraid we're way too far apart on this issue to have a reasonable debate, so I'll just say that I respect your right to hold that opinion and leave it at that.

Reactions: flaneur and vabm8

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Gretzky is vice president of the Oilers. He kind of has to be at the games. :sarcasm:

I was kinda wondering what exactly he does for the Oilers. Found out tonight. It sounds like his title, which is actually, "Vice-Chairman", is really a ceremonial title.

Bob Nicholson, the Oilers CEO was asked tonight what Wayne's role was with the team.

"Wayne Gretzky is Wayne Gretzky, and anytime you can have him around it's a good thing. He really doesn't get involved too deep with the hockey, that's Peter's call."

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I was kinda wondering what exactly he does for the Oilers. Found out tonight. It sounds like his title, which is actually, "Vice-Chairman", is really a ceremonial title.

Bob Nicholson, the Oilers CEO was asked tonight what Wayne's role was with the team.

"Wayne Gretzky is Wayne Gretzky, and anytime you can have him around it's a good thing. He really doesn't get involved too deep with the hockey, that's Peter's call."

Mmmmm, sounds like he's the assistant (to the) regional manager.

Reactions: td_ice

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
"Dear Mr. Leonsis, Thank you for your 'Banner of the Month' subscription. Here at Banners-R-Us, we can customize any banner to your exact specifications."

Like this one??

Capitals-Banner-2-684x1024.jpg.ff07e9413464dd697ebaac7567f02db5.jpg

:D

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

I'm a vet, Navy Military Police: Military Working Dog Handler, Explosives... mostly. I worked so many Secret Service details, VPOTUS, POTUS, J Chief of Staff, Elections, distinguished Chinese diplomats. I never saw a ship and when I did they told me they would confiscate my phone / camera for taking pictures. Was stationed in NDW (Naval District Washingtion DC) the Navy Yard, yes I was there for the active shooter (no comment), I worked 13 fence lines, Annapolis was one. Deployed OEF (war on drugs in central america-for cartel smuggling intradictions) got my GWOT Expeditionary medal (damn proud).

I tell my brothers daughter and everyone I know, I had the time of my life, met people I'd die for, learned so much about the world, traveled the world, so much more... from joining the Navy. Not everyone who joins the military is a crazed killer or sees combat.

Maybe I posted too much info.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Was just looking at the standings... I didn't realize that there is a good chance Florida might take the second wild card spot (they are only 1 point behind CBJ and Carolina, with 3 games in hand).

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Flyers playing Panthers today. Hopefully the Panthers can get a win and then our next two games are huge. There next game would be against us on Wednesday.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
As much as I dislike the Flyers, it would be quite cool to see Geno, MacKinnon, Kucherov, McDavid and Giroux all hit 100 points.

Saying that, the Flyers defence in these two games are just as hilarious as ours.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Rinne, sneakily, "accidentally on purpose" pushes the net off, with his body. while his team was under siege during a PP vs. COL. Made it look like a quick move to cover post, bangs it with his body and then pushes off to square up.

Ekholm, still dirty AF. Thankfully he got called on that cross check. He gets away with more than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad