Around the NHL 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
For what? He had to sign a pto to get to an nhl camp and got cut.

Do you think the Flames forward roster is that strong?

I think we dodged a bullet by not signing him

where does milano fit on this team? he's not a match for lowry's low-offense line. then the 4th you have several guys competing for a Wing spot - assuming gagner has RW. id like him to help with some skill down there, also could fit in the top-6 if there's an injury to a wing, but i think the org would rather go w/ their guys even if they might be less productive.

The Jets are relatively thin on scoring talent. If one or more of the top-6 guys gets injured there isn't much there to fill that hole other than Gagner. These are not the 2017-2020 Jets that had guys like like Stastny, Copp, Roslovic, Armia available to step up. I like him as an insurance policy and to provide depth on the 4th line.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
For what? He had to sign a pto to get to an nhl camp and got cut.

Do you think the Flames forward roster is that strong?

I think we dodged a bullet by not signing him
“Dodged a bullet” is a bit strong IMO.

It’s not like he’s gonna sign a backbreaking deal. At this point he’s looking at vet minimum and can be easily waived if he isn’t performing.

Our bottom six scoring was complete ass last year and while I like bringing in Gagner, every bit helps. I’m okay going forward with what we have but I don’t think we necessarily dodged a bullet by not bringing in someone who’s likely a small upgrade on Harkins or Toninato.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The Jets are relatively thin on scoring talent. If one or more of the top-6 guys gets injured there isn't much there to fill that hole other than Gagner. These are not the 2017-2020 Jets that had guys like like Stastny, Copp, Roslovic, Armia available to step up. I like him as an insurance policy and to provide depth on the 4th line.
I'm hoping that Appleton and Barron can provide some secondary scoring but yes there are some question marks there.

I don't think the solution is a guy who couldn't secure an NHL contract though - that's it's own question mark. I think it's more sensible to spend some of our available cap on an established scorer if needed

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
oh i don't disagree at all. i think gagner has had atleast some history playing higher up the line up but it was eons ago. just the way this team operates/ices their roster, they wont have a skilled or scoring 3rd line like some of the top teams.

gagner did put up 31 pts on rebuilding detroits bottom-6/4th line...... given the talent gap of the two teams he should hit that here, probably surpass it.

there was a comment on FLAs bottom-6 this year, after they had some turnover or injuries with marchment and duclair. their bottom-6 is still entirely composed of players who produced at a 25+ pts pace/82 gp last year. we have 2 players in our bottom-6 that hit that rate. personally believe we needed to improve that area to compete for a cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsFan815

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
oh i don't disagree at all. i think gagner has had atleast some history playing higher up the line up but it was eons ago. just the way this team operates/ices their roster, they wont have a skilled or scoring 3rd line like some of the top teams.

gagner did put up 31 pts on rebuilding detroits bottom-6/4th line...... given the talent gap of the two teams he should hit that here, probably surpass it.

there was a comment on FLAs bottom-6 this year, after they had some turnover or injuries with marchment and duclair. their bottom-6 is still entirely composed of players who produced at a 25+ pts pace/82 gp last year. we have 2 players in our bottom-6 that hit that rate. personally believe we needed to improve that area to compete for a cup.
Those bottom six guys need to be moved up in Florida to replace giroux, marchment, maybe duclair

Maurice has a very different structure than Q and Brunette - that bottom six scoring will drop with chip and chase and plug D

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I'm hoping that Appleton and Barron can provide some secondary scoring but yes there are some question marks there.

I don't think the solution is a guy who couldn't secure an NHL contract though - that's it's own question mark. I think it's more sensible to spend some of our available cap on an established scorer if needed

Barron maybe but I am not going to count on Appleton in that role, he is not a young player anymore and at this point is what he is.

Reactions: Bigfish

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Isn't that what we have done with Connor/Ehlers/Scheif/Morrissey/Helleybuck?
Not really. Not to the same extent. Tkachuk got over $8 million per season after having 40ish point seasons. Scheif was already a #1 centre putting up over 60 points in 70 games and getting only $6 million per season. Helleybuyck was a runner-up for the Vezina and had a good rookie season when he was awarded his extension. Players like tkachuk were given more by providing "less good" seasons than the above mentioned Jets.

That said, if Perfetti had a couple 45-55 point seasons, I would not have an issue if the Jets signed him to a long-term contract valued at over $8 million AAV.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Barron maybe but I am not going to count on Appleton in that role, he is not a young player anymore and at this point is what he is.
Chemistry is a funny thing. We often see players put in a good situation and have a jump in production. You'd probably have said the same about Kadri last year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not really. Not to the same extent. Tkachuk got over $8 million per season after having 40ish point seasons. Scheif was already a #1 centre putting up over 60 points in 70 games and getting only $6 million per season. Helleybuyck was a runner-up for the Vezina and had a good rookie season when he was awarded his extension. Players like tkachuk were given more by providing "less good" seasons than the above mentioned Jets.

That said, if Perfetti had a couple 45-55 point seasons, I would not have an issue if the Jets signed him to a long-term contract valued at over $8 million AAV.

8 million is the new 6 million if your going by % of cap.

Reactions: robertocarlos

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It is but you are missing the point of my post. Scheif and Hellebuyck were better than Tkachuk up to the point they signed those long-term contracts. Tkachuk did less to get the same percentage of the cap.
Just looking at scheifele and tkachuk bc their fwds

Scheifeles was his second deal, scored at a career 0.64 ppg pace with a peak of 61 in 71 gp.

Tkachuk is a career 0.88 ppg pace with a peak of 104 pts and is his third contract.

Tkachuk had better production, and closer to ufa status. Also scheifele got similar to other 60ish pt Cs at the time like Mackinnon, barkov and Monahan.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just looking at scheifele and tkachuk bc their fwds

Scheifeles was his second deal, scored at a career 0.64 ppg pace with a peak of 61 in 71 gp.

Tkachuk is a career 0.88 ppg pace with a peak of 104 pts and is his third contract.

Tkachuk had better production, and closer to ufa status. Also scheifele got similar to other 60ish pt Cs at the time like Mackinnon, barkov and Monahan.

Well the market has also changed, GMs and agents have figured out that younger players tend to contribute more then the older ones so we saw a shift to paying them and that saw the NHL middle class get squeezed as a result.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well the market has also changed, GMs and agents have figured out that younger players tend to contribute more then the older ones so we saw a shift to paying them and that saw the NHL middle class get squeezed as a result.
Sure but at the time of signing tkachuk had far better career stats and peak, as well as merely 1 rfa year remaining. Whether it be 2016 or 2021 he'd get probably more than a 0.64 Ppg player with several RFA years remaining.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sure but at the time of signing tkachuk had far better career stats and peak, as well as merely 1 rfa year remaining. Whether it be 2016 or 2021 he'd get probably more than a 0.64 Ppg player with several RFA years remaining.

Agreed but I thought he was talking about his pretty high bridge deal and not his UFA contract.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Agreed but I thought he was talking about his pretty high bridge deal and not his UFA contract.
Perhaps but op did mention their production too.

think it's easy to forget now since it's 6 years later scheifele's stats, while were solid, are now getting easily surpassed by similarly aged players

Reactions: surixon

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Interesting to note that Sami Niku and Joakim Kemell, playing on the same team, are tied in points. 7pts in 11 games each.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Apparently Nolan Patrick is also unlikely to play this year.
If I was Chevy, and I could pick up Nolan Patrick on the cheap, I'd do just that. I understand he suffers from migraine headaches, or some kind of health issues, but the basic talent is there. It likely cost very little to acquire him, and maybe if he was in his home town, he'd settle down and relax, and turn out to be very good.

I'd also look into picking up Petan, as I think teams, including the Jets gave up on him too quickly. I thought he didn't look too bad for Winnipeg, and set up some nice goals. These guys with big scoring touch in Junior, have natural talent, and sometimes it takes them quite a bit longer to adjust to the big stage.

We don't have much scoring on our 3rd and 4th lines, so I'd look quite seriously at going this route, and hope one or both become late bloomers. I know a lot of posters would not agree with this, but I's give this a shot for the right price.

I'm someone who believes there are "diamonds" in the rough out there, and you just have to wait on some of these young guys, who develop late.

• Haha
Reactions: hockeyarena

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If I was Chevy, and I could pick up Nolan Patrick on the cheap, I'd do just that. I understand he suffers from migraine headaches, or some kind of health issues, but the basic talent is there. It likely cost very little to acquire him, and maybe if he was in his home town, he'd settle down and relax, and turn out to be very good.

I'd also look into picking up Petan, as I think teams, including the Jets gave up on him too quickly. I thought he didn't look too bad for Winnipeg, and set up some nice goals. These guys with big scoring touch in Junior, have natural talent, and sometimes it takes them quite a bit longer to adjust to the big stage.

We don't have much scoring on our 3rd and 4th lines, so I'd look quite seriously at going this route, and hope one or both become late bloomers. I know a lot of posters would not agree with this, but I's give this a shot for the right price.

I'm someone who believes there are "diamonds" in the rough out there, and you just have to wait on some of these young guys, who develop late.
No. Clue. Whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad