Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
There’s a place for it.

People aren’t rooting for UFC-on-ice. This very clearly isn’t the 1970s. This isn’t SlapShot. The players are policing themselves. The hyperbole that this is the worst thing ever or ruining the game or it’s marketing image or whatever else is bs. Players on the ice are restoring order to the game.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Maybe the shakeup in New York shakes a good scout or two loose. I would expect BA would be open to adding a body or two if they are the right people.
Nah man. I want JD. Bridging the gap between AM/XG and BA. Perfect man in the middle for that. Like tailor made for us. We gotta problem. He’s a solution I think.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Hi Canis. :)

1) I used the sarcasm emoji and meme speak. But I’ll play along.

2) Sid is literally using the ol’ Big Bert move #2 (after the sucker punch) that broke Steve Moore’s neck. Was it as violent? No. Was the outcome as deadly? Of course not. Was it in a mutual scrum? Yes. But it’s the very same. Certainly an “intent to injure”, eh? And as I’ve stated above/previous, if Tom Wilson is any other player doing that to the NYRs, it’s a minor story, called a “d*ck move” on Twitter or the board and not blown-up, complete hyperbole.

3) The bolded has been my entire point in this thread. Garland/Landeskog. Sid last night. Tom Wilson. Zero consistency. But how does swapping Parros for Paul Kariya or whomever fix this? The league wanted to remove the traditional enforcer from the game and are now reaping what they sow. The players have no fear on the ice and certainly no fear from the inconsistent DOPS.
Fair on the sarcasm, though I read your other posts and very much disagree about Wilson. They are inconsistent as we all agree, but I want the threshold for punishment to be lowered as well as the penalties increased. Good call on the outcome aspect - they do a piss poor job of recognizing dangerous plays and rely on that to determine punishment far too often.

I don't know that Kariya would be the solution, as it's more of a conclusion that his philosophy would be different and that's what they actually want in the position. It's a bit hasty because you don't know that that's actually how things would go were he to take over. I can see some of the logic there due to his circumstances and thinking he was a superstar who's career was hurt by such play, so he'd do a good job at reducing that for today's stars. With regards to Parros though, I think the criticism is two-fold. First, his thoughts on levels of acceptable physicality do not jive with many, but secondly, it's his consistency. I don't agree with the first because I think he's not setting the culture for what types of hits and plays are too much, and I think he could adapt. I think criticism of his consistency is more reasonable, but really I think you need the league to put something out stating that they are going to more clearly define things because as it stands, I think that office may be hamstrung to a degree and even the best would struggle.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
That would be an interesting find for those that enjoy such research. I posted for our anti dump and chase friends. This illustrates this is and can still be a blue collar sport, for those willing to execute. It’s also a necessity in the playoffs.
I’ve always maintained the Coyotes are capable of much more with this roster, they’ve inconsistently shown that. My question has also been, can they sustain such a level of play and we’ve seen the answer.
I don't dislike dump-and-chase, as it can be a valid strategy. What I take issue with is inability to ever carry the puck into the zone and therefore by default resorting to dump-ins on a huge majority of plays. To use a football analogy, it's akin to never running the ball because you are a passing strength team, so you're allowing the opposing side to adjust its defense to specifically counter your passing game. I'm less concerned with the ratio as well so long as you are decent at them both. That data you show for the Hurricanes doesn't indicate their success rate on zone entries with possession, but my guess is that they are decent at it. I think they are just a good team in general of course, so they can probably do both, but their strength is in board battles for sure. There is the possibility that they really are just the best team ever at dump-and-chase though and their carry-ins are poor, but I doubt that's the case, and certainly being good enough to carry it in if given the opportunity means the defense has to play their gaps differently at the blue-line.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
When Conor Garland and Darcy Kuemper are your toughest players, you got a huge f***ing problem on your hand.

I wish we had players like Wilson, and guys willing to do what Buch did. AZ needs a cultural change. They have way too many wimps on this team, and it starts up top. One thing I loved about Doan was he stuck up for his guys. I don't think LOL has gotten into one fight. Hell, I can't remember the last time he got a roughing major.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Buchnevich with a brutal jumping cross check to the face. Arguably worse than anything Wilson did the other night. Yikes.

Edit:

Exactly what you're getting at with the inconsistency. They felt it wasn't enough from the previous game, so now they go way overboard. Vigilante justice always escalates things.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
When Conor Garland and Darcy Kuemper are your toughest players, you got a huge f***ing problem on your hand.

I wish we had players like Wilson, and guys willing to do what Buch did. AZ needs a cultural change. They have way too many wimps on this team, and it starts up top. One thing I loved about Doan was he stuck up for his guys. I don't think LOL has gotten into one fight. Hell, I can't remember the last time he got a roughing major.
Hopefully we have a tough SOB at GM that will fix our soft roster. He talks a good game. We'll see what he's made of pretty soon.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Buchnevich with a brutal jumping cross check to the face. Arguably worse than anything Wilson did the other night. Yikes.

Edit:

Again, funny to send a tweet saying Wilson should have been suspended blah blah but then your guy comes out and cross checks another player in the face. Interesting strategy.

Also, I agree Yotes need a lot more heart and team building. If Chych, Garland, or Keller or whoever got bodied by Wilson like Panarin did.... Yotes would do nothing about it. Maybe Hayden would give Wilson a creepy hug but that's it.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Doan was an exception. He was a good tough player who would drop the gloves. How in the world do you think Garland and Kuemper our the toughest players on the team? I was a fan of Wilson, but he is starting to go overboard. I want toughness not stupidity.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Doan was an exception. He was a good tough player who would drop the gloves. How in the world do you think Garland and Kuemper our the toughest players on the team? I was a fan of Wilson, but he is starting to go overboard. I want toughness not stupidity.

Here's the thing about Doan. He's a unicorn. Plain and simple. He's a guy who is personable as hell and one of the nicest guys on the planet, but who also has a fiery, competitive side matched with the brute strength of a guy raised on farms. The combination resulted in a player who wouldn't let himself play dirty or cheap, but who would nonetheless intimidate the hell out of you on the ice. Because you knew he was always watching for a weakness, and he'd make you pay for it in an extremely painful - yet completely legal - way. And you couldn't go after his teammates because the Doaner who would be grinning and chatting you up pregame or in a faceoff circle would CRAWL YOU if you took liberties, and he would make it look distressingly easy (because really, you're nowhere near the mass and weight of a fricking horse, man).

I think in a way I've been spoiled by Shane Doan. I started watching hockey when Gretzky was playing with the Indianapolis Racers, but I became a hockey fan when I got my first Coyotes tickets and watched Doan play. I remember the first Coyotes game I ever saw. I was entertained by Tyson Nash because he would just hit everything that moved and would skate across the whole ice just to jump into a scrum. But I was captivated by Doan. His presence on the ice was magnetic, every shift he played, and not just because he was scoring goals or driving the play - the game coalesced around him, if that makes any sense. For me, therefore, Doan represents the archetype, the definition of an NHL leader.

Since he's been gone, I haven't seen a single Coyotes player with that sort of presence, who your eyes immediately look to when the chips are down, or when someone has to answer the bell, etc. The current Coyotes team has the appearance and feel of a high school group research project. Nobody wants to take the lead, and when something does get done, it's because someone ends up having to do it by default because nobody else is helping. And they all look like they'd rather be doing something else, like playing Nintendo.

The Coyotes need a new Doan. They don't have one in the pipeline or on the roster. And even if the unlikely miracle occurs and we sign Auston Matthews as a UFA in a few years, he won't be the guy we need to lead this team. I don't know who New Doan might be - I just know that without him, this team isn't going to rise beyond their own mediocrity.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Here's the thing about Doan.

The Coyotes need a new Doan. They don't have one in the pipeline or on the roster. And even if the unlikely miracle occurs and we sign Auston Matthews as a UFA in a few years, he won't be the guy we need to lead this team. I don't know who New Doan might be - I just know that without him, this team isn't going to rise beyond their own mediocrity.
One of the Tkuchuk boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad