Around the NHL 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
The Suter and Parise buyouts push some of their decisions down the road by opening up about 10 million in cap space for next season but the actual savings aren't that much.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was mutually decided on given that it's been rumoured that Parise and Suter have always had the ear of the owner. Parise made it pretty clear he didn't want to be part of a rebuild.

Also helps deciding on the expansion draft since that's 2 NMCs off the books.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
News out of Trashville, Rinne retiring ........

Hmm, I wonder if he'll get a banner. Oh, wait... :laugh:

4kwn1x9npv941.png

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Gee, never would have seen that coming. Nope, not in a million years. Two very good players when acquired on two very long, not so good deals. Here's the end result some might have seen coming.
I think everyone knew it would happen eventually with those contracts (Weber one day too), just doubt many expected to see it to Suter this early. Parise is done, but Suter is still serviceable. Likely bought him out because of expansion draft and team dynamics.

But yeah, glad they fixed contract lengths in the CBA because all of those contracts are just a joke haha.

I still enjoy the possibility of Weber retiring before his contract is up and having Nashville pay the cap ramifications :laugh:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The Suter and Parise buyouts push some of their decisions down the road by opening up about 10 million in cap space for next season but the actual savings aren't that much.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was mutually decided on given that it's been rumoured that Parise and Suter have always had the ear of the owner. Parise made it pretty clear he didn't want to be part of a rebuild.

Also helps deciding on the expansion draft since that's 2 NMCs off the books.

They must be hoping the cap doesn’t stay flat into 22-23 because almost the full cap hit is back on the books for that season.

I’m thinking XD considerations almost as key as cap to this decision.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
There are 3 Stanley Cups: The Original bowl from 1892 which is now on display in the HOF in the "vault", the Presentation cup that was made in the 60s that recreated the bowl and first presented in 1970 (this is the one the players get on ice and they have at the parties etc), and the Permanent cup that is used for the display at the HOF when the Presentation cup is out on tour or being dented by drunk hockey players. So there is some history to the cup that is being trashed in Tampa. it's the one the players have been presented for the past 50+ years.

Summarized from Wikipedia for y'all

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Gee, never would have seen that coming. Nope, not in a million years. Two very good players when acquired on two very long, not so good deals. Here's the end result some might have seen coming.

Wouldn't have come to this, at least not yet, if not for the XD.

Reactions: Flair Hay

None

Feb 22, 2012
I do not understand the Parise/Suter buyouts at all

From what I've heard it sounds like Seattle wanted full trade value to leave Dumba unprotected + a decent roster player like Soucy through the expansion draft.
So it either came down to:
- Trade Dumba at a depreciated value knowing that other teams are aware of the pressure that Seattle is having
- Leave Dumba unprotected and Seattle takes him without a doubt (I'd guess that Seattle would then flip Dumba to another team)
- Trade Seattle a top prospect and a 1st and then leave a player like Soucy for them to take in the expansion draft
- Buyout Suter to open a spot to protect Dumba

It kind of feels like one of those moves that you look back on in 3 years when Dumba is playing for another team and you scratch your head wondering what Minnesota was thinking.

They must be hoping the cap doesn’t stay flat into 22-23 because almost the full cap hit is back on the books for that season.

I’m thinking XD considerations almost as key as cap to this decision.

The expansion draft was probably the biggest consideration, I don't think they buy out Suter without the expansion draft looming on the horizon.
I think the cap is guaranteed to be locked for the next 3 seasons, potentially longer depending on how league revenues look in the near future.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I do not understand the Parise/Suter buyouts at all

Parise was fading and a bit too close to the owner so I get why Bill made that move. Suter was and XD squeeze play and he does turn 37 in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad