Around the NHL 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Guess Getzlaf is their next trade target - better get him before Anaheim buys him out!!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't mind it for the Oilers. Keith's cap hit isn't really an anchor if there's few other options to use the cap space. He's played with some truly awful partners in Chicago in recent years or been asked to carry rookies while still playing hard minutes.

Most frequent partners since 17-18
Erik Gustafsson
Brent Seabrook
Jordan Oesterle
Connor Murphy
Adam Boqvist
Henri Jokijarhu
Cody Franson

And it's only 2 years.

And Keith was never an option for us, when he wanted to go to Western Canada it was basically just Alberta or BC and Vancouver can't afford his cap hit with Benning signing so many average players to above average contracts.
These dummies have almost $17M tied up in Keith, Kassian, Neal, Lucic (retention), and Sekera (buyout). 20% of their cap hit is anchor. I mean, it would be nice if they could apply some of that towards helping out McDavid and Drai...

None

Feb 22, 2012
These dummies have almost $17M tied up in Keith, Kassian, Neal, Lucic (retention), and Sekera (buyout). 20% of their cap hit is anchor. I mean, it would be nice if they could apply some of that towards helping out McDavid and Drai...

For sure, I just think trading for Keith is one of the less bad moves they've made. Lucic getting 7 years is still haunting them :laugh:
2 years of Keith in a vacuum independent of all the other bad moves they've made isn't really a big deal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Edmonton got bent over

Holland is certainly going for the "winning pedigree" and "good in the locker room" value on this one. Leave aside the trade return, that cap hit is painful in this cap environment.

Reactions: SUX2BU

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I guess Keith provides cup winning pedigree in the room which is something they likely need but his on ice ability isn't anywhere near what it once was.

Glad Chevy stayed away on that one.

Edit: Loved Keith as a player during his peak years.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Holland is certainly going for the "winning pedigree" and "good in the locker room" value on this one. Leave aside the trade return, that cap hit is painful in this cap environment.

Especially since there is no retention on the contract from Chicago. Essentially 5 plus million for a third pairing dmen who is a leader in the room.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Oiler fans were thumping their chests after the Jets series that this upcoming year would have them much improved.

They’re still blaming Chiarelli for this mess and said this is the first offseason Holland will have cap space to improve the team.

Well, he just wasted a good chunk of this space on Keith, so not off to a good start :laugh:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Next up for the Oiler to overpay for either Larsson or Barrie, maybe both and then see what's left over for Nurse the following year

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Keith "only" makes 2.1 and 1.5 mil the remaining two seasons, so in real money terms it seems like a pretty good value. As for the cap space, I guess it depends what other use they were going to have for it, but if you look at Oilers culture & playoff resume, a veteran who has won a lot and used to be one of the best D-men in the game is not necessarily a horribad signing. 37 for a D-man is not that old and since he waived his NMC, he must want to go there, so maybe he is just entering the red hot summer of his youth :D Call me crazy but it could work out for the Oilers.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Keith "only" makes 2.1 and 1.5 mil the remaining two seasons, so in real money terms it seems like a pretty good value. As for the cap space, I guess it depends what other use they were going to have for it, but if you look at Oilers culture & playoff resume, a veteran who has won a lot and used to be one of the best D-men in the game is not necessarily a horribad signing. 37 for a D-man is not that old and since he waived his NMC, he must want to go there, so maybe he is just entering the red hot summer of his youth :D Call me crazy but it could work out for the Oilers.
You're crazy :P

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Have a feeling Evander ends up in Dallas or St Louis. A Central team. Will make for some fun games at Canada Life Center.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
You're crazy :P

Maybe :D Just to clarify I wouldn't want Jets making that move, but for Oilers it might be worth it. I would imagine the last few seasons in CHI for Keith haven't been the most motivating. I know nothing of Oilers cap situation and how the 5mil hit of Keith works (or doesn't) with that. In the best case scenario they get a rejuvinated veteran D who can still play top4 and has been a huge part of a cup winning team and brings all the knowledge from that with him.

Worst case he's a total over the hill bottom pairing boat anchor eating 5mil of cap space they could've spent elsewhere. In that case they just need to hope he's really really good in the room and has tons of intanglibles :D

Reactions: Mathil8 and surixon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am not a main board guy but it appears Kuch’s heel swerve and promo has triggered some Habs fans in a funny way.

Reactions: Guardian17

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
From the GMs meeting:

The GMs also spent 45 minutes of the meeting focusing on the officiating standard for cross-checking. No rule change is planned yet, but there will be further discussions Tuesday.

Everyone knows what a crosscheck is... how about you get the officials to freaking call it while watching it happen right in front of them? There... I just saved the GMs 45 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad