Around the NHL #5 (The Mike Smith Tracking Thread Returns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Although Tip didn't say it, I wonder if part of him leaving was not wanting to be under an inexperienced GM calling the shots..

You forget?

Tippett was VP of Hockey Ops. Drummond gave him that position which put him over Chayka.

We had a whole thread about that one.

If one wanted to speculate.... Barroway probably wanted him out of that position and Tippett wouldn’t give it up.

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Not only that, but Chayka himself said Tippett had the final say in roster decisions. :biglaugh: Bizarro world.
There is more to this, he wasn't fired and didn't have ultimate say in roster decisions.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, the fact he "walked away" both from and with millions of dollars suggests there was fire to the smoke that he was under the threat of being fired "with cause", and Chayka says you're a liar. Who to believe..? The internet poster that repeatedly lies about everything else, or young Chayka?

I just don't know...

:biglaugh:

Reactions: RemoAZ

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Anyone claiming Tippett wasn't fired is maliciously gaslighting and trying to revise history. Disgusting.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The only reason he would accept less money than his contract is if there was a real question to whether he'd get his money... Like if he were fired with cause.

The only reason the team would pay out a negotiated settlement is if there was a question as to whether they'd be on the hook for the full contract if he took up motorcycles full time after being fired.

The "Dave quit" scenario makes no sense. You don't pay people to quit. You pay them when their contract is terminated.

"Hi, I'd like to quit"
"Oh, okay. That pleases me. You're walking away from your contract then?"
" Yeah"
"Well, I'm notoriously shallow pocketed, but here's a multimillion dollar check for a resigning bonus"
"Geepers, thanks"

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
russiantrollfarm said:
Although Tip didn't say it, I wonder if part of him leaving was not wanting to be under an inexperienced GM calling the shots?

NO.

I'm going to drop this here for posterity.

In a few months and every few months after that, I anticipate we will continue to hear challenges to the claim that Dave Tippett had the final say on all hockey ops related issues. It will be dismissed as exaggeration and speculation.

So here is John Chayka admitting to John Gambo (last three minutes of interview) that his job is to bring information to Tippett and that Dave Tippett has the final say.

Podcast Player Archives - Arizona Sports

Just for reference when the inevitable challenges come up. We can easily search "posterity" and find this link.

Unless the "inexperienced GM" Tipp hated having call the shots was himself....

Reactions: Mosby

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The only reason he would accept less money than his contract is if there was a real question to whether he'd get his money... Like if he were fired with cause.

The only reason the team would pay out a negotiated settlement is if there was a question as to whether they'd be on the hook for the full contract if he took up motorcycles full time after being fired.

The "Dave quit" scenario makes no sense. You don't pay people to quit. You pay them when they're contract is terminated.

"Hi, I'd like to quit"
"Oh, okay. That pleases me. You're walking away from your contract then?"
" Yeah"
"Well, I'm notoriously shallow pocketed, but here's a multimillion dollar check for a resigning bonus"
"Geepers, thanks"
That isn't how business deals work. Both parties agree to part ways and settle it. There was no question he would collect his full salary if fired. Contracts are next to impossible to void for cause.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That isn't how business deals work. Both parties agree to part ways and settle it. There was no question he would collect his full salary if fired. Contracts are next to impossible to void for cause.
He would only collect if he didn't take another job. Settlement was better for both sides.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

Well, it sounds like they were ready to try...

Your second nonsense scenario:
"Oh, you're going to fire me? Let me take less money than my contract."

Neither scenario makes sense unless the final outcome was in question. The only scenario with questions and risks for both parties to find a settlement involves potential litigation, as the rumours suggested. I'm sure the league was happy not to open Pandora's box.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Well, it sounds like they were ready to try...

Your second nonsense scenario:
"Oh, you're going to fire me? Let me take less money than my contract."

Neither scenario makes sense unless the final outcome was in question. The only scenario with questions and risks for both parties to find a settlement involves potential litigation, as the rumours suggested. I'm sure the league was happy not to open Pandora's box.
Parting ways and reaching a settlement agreement is common in business, nothing more here to see. He wasn't fired and he didn't quit, can't make it any easier to explain than that.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Parting ways and reaching a settlement agreement is common in business, nothing more here to see.
Last NHL coach with a negotiated buyout was..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad