Around the NHL #5 (The Mike Smith Tracking Thread Returns)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm good with that. Like football...just need to break the plane. I'd be OK eliminating off-side revues. The linesman usually gets it right, and when wrong we're talking millimeters. In other words...missed offsides usually do not result in giving one team a competitive advantage.
I wish they would put a time limit on offside challenge. Like 10, 15 or whatever seconds. So basically if they score right from the entry you can challenge, however if they keep zone pressure and score tough luck.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I wish they would put a time limit on offside challenge. Like 10, 15 or whatever seconds. So basically if they score right from the entry you can challenge, however if they keep zone pressure and score tough luck.

I'm on the other end of this one. I would be way too annoyed if the Yotes got scored on at 11 or 16 seconds after (whicher is 1 second after the time limit) ... because it would seem too arbitrary. Why 10, 15 ... x amount of seconds? It's either offside or it's not...the team gets an "unfair" advantage or it doesn't.

What if it's on a penalty kill? Can't expect the same ability to clear the puck in that situation vs 5v5 right? 3v3? These are just hypothetical to prove the point that adding stipulations would add too much complexity. To me, the offense generated from an offside is fruit from a poisonous tree and it's just easier to police the game that way across the board.

Rule book has so much gray area that's already annoying to fans, it would not be in the league's best interest to introduce even more. Could you imagine a Stanley Cup game 7 deciding goal being scored in the scenario you listed going against a hardcore Canadien fan base? That would definitely not sit well.

I like the idea of just making it a plane... makes more logical sense to what they are trying to accomplish with the call and should hopefully make it easier than it is to decide offsides or not.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm on the other end of this one. I would be way too annoyed if the Yotes got scored on at 11 or 16 seconds after (whicher is 1 second after the time limit) ... because it would seem too arbitrary. Why 10, 15 ... x amount of seconds? It's either offside or it's not...the team gets an "unfair" advantage or it doesn't.

What if it's on a penalty kill? Can't expect the same ability to clear the puck in that situation vs 5v5 right? 3v3? These are just hypothetical to prove the point that adding stipulations would add too much complexity. To me, the offense generated from an offside is fruit from a poisonous tree and it's just easier to police the game that way across the board.

Rule book has so much gray area that's already annoying to fans, it would not be in the league's best interest to introduce even more. Could you imagine a Stanley Cup game 7 deciding goal being scored in the scenario you listed going against a hardcore Canadien fan base? That would definitely not sit well.

I like the idea of just making it a plane... makes more logical sense to what they are trying to accomplish with the call and should hopefully make it easier than it is to decide offsides or not.
Would the foot in crease goal against the Sabres be a good example. Alright put me down for no replay.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Would the foot in crease goal against the Sabres be a good example. Alright put me down for no replay.

Yea it's bad enough the league did that with something clear cut. Absolute travesty to the game, imo.

I'd hope with the technology and stuff they have now nothing like that would never happen again. Obviously, that's the goal I'd hope!

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
.the team gets an "unfair" advantage or it doesn't.

But do they really? How does 3 mms offside provide an advantage? It's similar to how in baseball where just being close to 2nd base used to be good enough when turning a double play. It didn't provide any team an advantage, all teams did it, and the side benefit was it was safer for the middle infielder. Instant replay caused baseball to start enforcing "foot must be on the bag", to the detriment of longer games. They then had to change the rule about sliding to break up the double play to avoid broken legs.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would like to see the width of the bluelines immediately tripled. Add one blueline in front and one blueline behind the existing. I would like to include the breaking of the plane rule change immediately as well.

In the ECHL or maybe even AHL, I would like to see offsides changed to "offside pass". Meaning players can skate the puck in offside but cannot pass the puck in offside. Not ready to say I definitely want that in the NHL immediately. I'd like to see it tested. But the width and the breaking the plane rules I want in effect immediately.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
But do they really? How does 3 mms offside provide an advantage? It's similar to how in baseball where just being close to 2nd base used to be good enough when turning a double play. It didn't provide any team an advantage, all teams did it, and the side benefit was it was safer for the middle infielder. Instant replay caused baseball to start enforcing "foot must be on the bag", to the detriment of longer games. They then had to change the rule about sliding to break up the double play to avoid broken legs.

I couldn't say that they do or don't... especially if it's that close. I'd assume it's one of those things where it gets worse the further offsides they get but I haven't read any studies or stats or etc to suggest one way or another. So in essence.. I can agree with you that I can't say that there is an unfair advantage or not.

My point is that, with the rule, they are saying it's something they deem illegal and already have decided where the blue line is and all that jazz. Either it's 100% legal or 100% not, in my mind. Can't have it be legal if the team does it but then holds the puck for a long time before scoring or add stipulations. If they add the stipulations, that totally invalidates the rule in the first place so why even have it? At that point just get rid of the rule and it's a legal move all of the time.

For me, the plane idea makes more sense than the current way they enforce it and hopefully makes it both easier to review and to see on the ice for the officials in the first place. All players know what's offsides or not in the rule book. There will still be close calls and I hope the have their camera angles sorted out so it's easy to see the plane and not have too much hassle.

It's the NHL so it probably won't be hassle free or simple, anyways.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sounds like a game that's not hockey, though. Not into that. That's akin to doubling the size of the nets.
Not really, the centerline went away, the trapezoids appeared, crease is on again off again. It would just remove a barrier that really makes little sense.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Sounds like a game that's not hockey, though. Not into that. That's akin to doubling the size of the nets.

Do you consider the 3 on 3 OT hockey? Because it'd largely look the same. It'd be more possession based. You wouldn't have five guys standing on a blueline forcing a dump.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Since we're on new rules discussion, I'd like for the players on the ice when a penalty occurs to have to start the ensuing face-off on the ice sans their penalized teammate. Not only do they need to chase down the puck to get the stoppage, but then they have to get another whistle before they can change. I have no qualms about them going to the bench while the refs arm is up to get their teammates to chase down the first puck though, and I think with player-tracking coming in, you can do this a lot quicker than before.

In fact, I think you can reduce the cheating on icings a lot more than before with player-tracking. Just have a timekeeper or whatever watching for ref and linesmen signals for penalties and icings, then push a button to lock-in who is on the ice. They can codify a more stringent delay of game penalty here and you're not asking the refs to keep track of so many moving parts.

Anyway, I like punishing your teammates for being on the ice for your penalty, and generally I think it's a good way to increase scoring when you get those non-penalty killers who are already tired out on the ice versus your number one power play unit.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Just picked the Rangers-Caps game sort of random to watch. Just spectacular offense both ways. And Zibanejad had a career night with 5 goals.

Coyotes will likely get through the season with a hat trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln