Around the NHL #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I don’t prefer Trump or Hillary. I really don’t. But this argument always makes me wince. They played the game according to the rules. If the rules changed, so would have the strategies.

I didnt like either one either but its a system past its time. The people should count no matter where they are from . Its stupid.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Oh! I thought I had clicked the around the nhl thread and not the Hfboards politics thread. Weird!

On the topic of Around the NHL... anyone here surprised by a slow starter or a fast starter so far? I'm a bit surprised NJ Devils have been as bad as they have been... didn't expect a ton but didn't expect them to be winless so far. I know it's still really early but we all know too well how it's really hard to come back after being buried quickly in a season.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Actually he wasn't...he lost the total vote count. The people voted otherwise. Also under that reasoning we should have respected Hitler. The electoral vote is a joke....that's all I have to say about that.
Funny guy. We live in an indirect democracy. The Electoral College elects our president. The founding fathers didn’t trust the whims of an ignorant populace It is the state by state election of the Electoral College that counts.

This is Jr. High School civics class stuff.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Funny guy. We live in an indirect democracy. The Electoral College elects our president. The founding fathers didn’t trust the whims of an ignorant populace It is the state by state election of the Electoral College that counts.

This is Jr. High School civics class stuff.
Then don't say that "the people" voted him in. Electoral college =/= the people.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Oh! I thought I had clicked the around the nhl thread and not the Hfboards politics thread. Weird!

On the topic of Around the NHL... anyone here surprised by a slow starter or a fast starter so far? I'm a bit surprised NJ Devils have been as bad as they have been... didn't expect a ton but didn't expect them to be winless so far. I know it's still really early but we all know too well how it's really hard to come back after being buried quickly in a season.
No goaltending in NJ. To save their season they need to address that. They have a first pick in June they could trade for a goalie but if memory serves they sent their 2nd and 3rd to Nashville in the Subban deal.
Maybe we should have a separate political thread for the Republicrats to fight in.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Well, you didn't say "God save us from pedants" so I'm going to be one - it's "Hear hear." :sarcasm:

As for the White House thing, hard to argue that you should go there to respect the office when the guy holding it doesn't.
That's less pedantic and more me being an idiot, thanks for pointing it out...ninja edit!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
No goaltending in NJ. To save their season they need to address that. They have a first pick in June they could trade for a goalie but if memory serves they sent their 2nd and 3rd to Nashville in the Subban deal.

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised by New Jersey being so terrible. Poor Taylor Hall.

Maybe we should have a separate political thread for the Republicrats to fight in.

Honestly, I'm mostly upset that, after loathing toddler mobster Donald Trump since the 1980s, suddenly I am expected to respect him because he got a new job. Outside of that, my main thing is "don't be an a--hole to other people" and everything else is window dressing.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017

haha True on all accounts that I know of. The goaltending woes thing kind of remind me of the Yotes 2 seasons ago during that horrendous first quarter of the season with Raanta injured. I gotta give Chayka props there for making sure that issue was shored up for now. It definitely kills a season and really throws off your team.

The other weird thing with Jersey is that in a couple of their games they had pretty decent leads and ended up blowing them. To have 13 goals in 6 games and be a MINUS 16 goal differential.. .Woah doggy that's bad. Makes me wonder if their season is actually done already... if they will be able to battle back at all. They certainly have some offensive talent and you'd think the defense/goaltending shouldn't be THAT bad...

Also a bit surprised about Dallas on that note. They are a weird team.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The only thing worse than politics are their insufferable fans. A bunch of stooges who think they've arrived at their own conclusions based on reason and fact instead of propaganda and echo chambers.
Excuse me, but I've seen lots of memes about this, so I'm pretty sure it's true. Educate yourself! By listening to totally unbiased handlers...

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
haha True on all accounts that I know of. The goaltending woes thing kind of remind me of the Yotes 2 seasons ago during that horrendous first quarter of the season with Raanta injured. I gotta give Chayka props there for making sure that issue was shored up for now. It definitely kills a season and really throws off your team.

The other weird thing with Jersey is that in a couple of their games they had pretty decent leads and ended up blowing them. To have 13 goals in 6 games and be a MINUS 16 goal differential.. .Woah doggy that's bad. Makes me wonder if their season is actually done already... if they will be able to battle back at all. They certainly have some offensive talent and you'd think the defense/goaltending shouldn't be THAT bad...

Also a bit surprised about Dallas on that note. They are a weird team.
As someone who thought his late round snagging of Corey Schneider was genius, I'm extremely disappointed in the Devils start. I mean being winless is one thing but it seems like they're getting rolled to boot.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
As someone who thought his late round snagging of Corey Schneider was genius, I'm extremely disappointed in the Devils start. I mean being winless is one thing but it seems like they're getting rolled to boot.

Throwing in the term "to boot"... nice!

And yea... he's kind of had some issues since the 15-16 season.. went from a .925 goalie to sub .910 since then and this year it's .876. Granted... he only played 26 games last year so who knows how that affects his play but you'd expect better than .900 at least. Also.. small sample size but, like you said.. they seem to be getting rolled. He's gotta mix in a save here and there.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
What shocks me, and seemingly nobody else, is just how bad Minny is. They almost made the playoffs. And made some bad trades there at the deadline, but this? It's a disaster. They barely managed to scrape out a win vs Ottawa!

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
What shocks me, and seemingly nobody else, is just how bad Minny is. They almost made the playoffs. And made some bad trades there at the deadline, but this? It's a disaster. They barely managed to scrape out a win vs Ottawa!
A slow team is a year older, how can they get better??

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Could be worse...... they could be New Jersey. :eek:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He's our President. He was voted in by the people. Sorry if you don't like him, but who ever is in office should be respected. We have no idea how lucky we are to live in this country.
Totally agree, and it doesn't matter who the President is, he or she should be respected. The media leads the charge in total disrespect, its pathetic.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
A slow team is a year older, how can they get better??
They are finally forced to rebuild after 11 years of owner Leipold claiming to be cup contenders. The Wild only need two simple things: 1) a goaltender and 2) a completely revamped offense.
Parise and Suter are already both horseshit. Good thing the Wild only have them signed for a brief six additional seasons. Moving Niederreiter and Granlund for Victor Rask and Kevin Fiala were brilliant moves for the future as well. I wouldn't want to be Guerin or Boudreau right now.
The upside is they did draft Matthew Boldy in June. Kirill Kaprizov just became the youngest player in Russian/KHL history to reach the 100 goal milestone, and they are likely to draft one of Lafrenierre, Byfield, Raymond or Perfetti in June. So that's a start for them as they can't get much worse.
Besides Colorado and maybe Nashville, the Central isn't as scary as it was at the announcement of our move. We're sliding in at the right time IMHO. Thanks Gary.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Parise and Suter are already both horse****. Good thing the Wild only have them signed for a brief six additional seasons.

They are both meant to retire after two more seasons if you look at the way their contracts are structured. The problem is the cap recapture will absolutely devastate the Wild. The probability they get sent to Robidas island with Hossa is near 100% and the league will look the other way. Hell, I'm not even sure if the recapture applies if they simply agree to mutual termination.

Reactions: SniperHF

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Was it @Mosby that mocked the Canes throughout the summer? Sorry if it was someone else. Anyways Canes have been a great surprise.

Not a chance that I'd pose for a picture with Trump or shake his hand.

Stanley Cup champs should hop on a sailboat and visit Gretta in Sweden. I'm sure she knows more about hockey than he does.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Was it @Mosby that mocked the Canes throughout the summer? Sorry if it was someone else. Anyways Canes have been a great surprise.

Not a chance that I'd pose for a picture with Trump or shake his hand.

Stanley Cup champs should hop on a sailboat and visit Gretta in Sweden. I'm sure she knows more about hockey than he does.

Can't remember if I said that or not. I definitely liked a lot of their offseason moves. Can't imagine I'll ever be a sold on the Mrazek/Reimer combo though.

I have 5 teams from the Atlantic making the playoffs plus Washington walking away with their division. That leaves just two playoff spots open for Carolina. Not easy.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Alex Galchenyuk's latest setback was apparantly due to an allergic reaction to a spider bite.

Penguins' Alex Galchenyuk reportedly suffers injury setback after being bitten by spider

This is crazy just read this. I can relate. I got bit by a spider labor day weekend on my right arm while I was hanging out in the middle of the pool. I was able to kill the spider as soon as I got bit. Hurt terribly. Thought it was a bee at first. 4-5 days later I started feeling flu like symptoms, Bad Aches - First started in neck and shoulders, then my left thigh, then my right foot and then my hand. Next 24 hours I had a fever of 102 and was in bed for 24 hours straight. When fever ended, my right hand was so swollen I coulnd't touch my thumb to any of my fingers. Hand was in throbbing pain. Had to go to Urgent care - started antiobiotics. Hand took almost two weeks for swelling to go down. Couldn't hold anything in my hand for over 10 days. My hand is still a little week but seems to be getting better. But I had a terrible allergic reaction so I can relate. Some people will think this is funny spider bite....."hahaha" but this was terrible for me - had to cancel my work for over a week plus lost out on income and being right handed really caused me day to day functional issues. First day I got medicine - got home couldn't open the bottle of pills, had to go to a neighbor for help. Just wanted to share.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The article didn’t mention which spider bit Galchenyuk, but a spider’s venom generally does two things. It acts as a nerve agent and predigestive compound. It literally liquifies the tissue it comes in contact with.

It’s not that far fetched that someone could have an allergic reaction to the venom.

A friend of mine was bitten by a brown recluse years ago and nearly lost his foot as the venom created a hole in his leg all the way down to the bone. What complicated matters was he discovered he was diabetic as a result of the testing involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad