Around the NHL #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
"shut up and dribble/play soccer/hockey/etc...' you're like five seconds away from saying facts don't care about your feelings.

I commend anyone that actually uses the platform afforded to them for good aka the exact opposite of LeBron right now.

I mean, it seems many of the athletes and companies are very happy to just "shut up and dribble" when in comes to HK. Their "hate" for injustice seems to cover a very small and specific population. Oh yeah, also when it doesn't effect their money.

Reactions: Biz20

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Like I give a shit when a foreigner opines on our politics. When federalists wrote the Constitution they tried to protect the country from foreign influence in our politics, be it Putin or Cox. Damian can shove it. It wasn’t like the Leafs won the cup and then visited the White House.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Like I give a **** when a foreigner opines on our politics. When federalists wrote the Constitution they tried to protect the country from foreign influence in our politics, be it Putin or Cox. Damian can shove it. It wasn’t like the Leafs won the cup and then visited the White House.
What's really funny is this is what Cox wrote when Tim Thomas opted out:
Cox in Toronto Star said:
"presented as somehow moral or above politics, was simply political in nature.. That's okay, too. He's entitled to that view in a democracy. But to present this as somehow a decision borne of a conscience is misleading." Cox continued, "Thomas, while a reasonably thoughtful athlete and quite likely well-meaning in his intent, simply got a little mixed up. He thought he was snubbing Obama, specifically, and the federal government, in general, but what he was really doing was snubbing the very Constitution he and his ilk insist only they understand and interpret correctly"
Itself dripping in political polemic.

Compare now:
Cox on Tweetfacegram said:
Good to see bad karma already catching up with Blues in MTL tonight. Still time to re-think disgusting WH visit. Do they even understand they’re showing support for a white supremacist, corrupt POTUS?
All those Canadians on the Blues. Why the hell are they going to suck up to the Orange Clown? Where is leadership?
Still time for the Blues not to embarrass themselves by not showing up at the WH. Think they’ve even considered for a moment how bad this is going to make them and their franchise look?
Another loss, more bad karma for Blues day before they make their reprehensible, inexcusable visit to the White House to kiss Trump’s ring. A regrettable moment in franchise history. Embarrassing for the NHL
Blues players looked so pathetic. Unintelligent. Just laughing like morons. Very sad moment.

That's only half of them. You can feel the venom dripping off the screen. Lol. Someone definitely feels threatened by Freedom of speech he doesn't agree with and is outraged it happened...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I can’t decide whether I care less about politics or the nba or the nfl. I don’t think I’ve seen an entire nba game or nfl game in at least 15 years. I’ve also never voted and never will will vote. I truly don’t care if obama or trump is the president.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I can’t decide whether I care less about politics or the nba or the nfl. I don’t think I’ve seen an entire nba game or nfl game in at least 15 years. I’ve also never voted and never will will vote. I truly don’t care if obama or trump is the president.
I have been politically active. Not the place here to say where I sit on the political spectrum, but I do believe in lanes. Champion team visits to the WH are a time honored tradition and should remain apolitical , but even if a clown is president the Office of the President should be respected. Just don’t go if you don’t like the jerk, but don’t turn it into a political statement.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Sorry to throw cold water on this but we need to get this off a general politics tangent fast guys.

This is the last I’m posting on it.... the Blues accepted an invitation and visited the White House. There are lots of reasons to go (as in a once in a lifetime chance to visit a historical site). Attending (or not) shouldn’t be looked at as anything more than the person’s choice.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
In other news, the sky is falling. Patrik Laine is leading the league in assists.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
What's really funny is this is what Cox wrote when Tim Thomas opted out:

Itself dripping in political polemic.

Compare now:

That's only half of them. You can feel the venom dripping off the screen. Lol. Someone definitely feels threatened by Freedom of speech he doesn't agree with and is outraged it happened...
Cox has been on a Twitter meltdown for months now. Every post seems to want to outdo the last for boldness. Last week he wrote about Dubas being the new JFJ and that his signings were designed to make Babcock fail so he could fire him.

Reactions: Mosby

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I’ve been doing tourist stuff in DC for the past 10 days, and went to the Avs-Caps game Monday. In several hundred NHL games I have attended, I don’t think I’ve ever seen as jaw-dropping of a performance as Nathan McKinnon put on. I’ve seen McDavid, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane et al. many times, but man, they didn’t look like McKinnon did that night!​

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, you didn't say "God save us from pedants" so I'm going to be one - it's "Hear hear." :sarcasm:

As for the White House thing, hard to argue that you should go there to respect the office when the guy holding it doesn't.
He's our President. He was voted in by the people. Sorry if you don't like him, but who ever is in office should be respected. We have no idea how lucky we are to live in this country.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

So we're moving them right? San Diego, Portland, Oklahoma City, and Houston?

toronto 103% (dont ask me)
Calgary at 94 % capacity
Edmonton 98 %
Montreal 98 % (and biggest attendance in the NHL)
Winnipeg at 100 %
only ottawa struggles at 61 %

Yotes at 90% . lets see how it goes , they normally sellout opener then dwindle.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
#LeBron2020 :thumbu:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I’ve been doing tourist stuff in DC for the past 10 days, and went to the Avs-Caps game Monday. In several hundred NHL games I have attended, I don’t think I’ve ever seen as jaw-dropping of a performance as Nathan McKinnon put on. I’ve seen McDavid, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane et al. many times, but man, they didn’t look like McKinnon did that night!​
For many, McKinnon falls in behind McDavid/Sid...but he really shouldn't. He's a superstar in every way.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He's our President. He was voted in by the people. Sorry if you don't like him, but who ever is in office should be respected. We have no idea how lucky we are to live in this country.
Many Candians would trade PM for President in a second flat especially in your neck of the woods.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
For many, McKinnon falls in behind McDavid/Sid...but he really shouldn't. He's a superstar in every way.
He's been too streaky for that, imo. Definitely has the talent. But go back and watch the Coyotes-Avs game. He was "off" all night. Putting pucks behind people, a bit higher behind the play. Everybody has off nights, but I think that's why he's not seen in the superstar tier. I'm not suggesting he's Kovalev levels of effort or anything; I don't think it's an effort thing. It's just that his game isn't always on the top tier.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

That’s the whole point Jakey.

You can respect the office but not have to respect the person occupying it.

Respect is something you earn by your own deeds, not by consensus decree.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017

Actually he wasn't...he lost the total vote count. The people voted otherwise. Also under that reasoning we should have respected Hitler. The electoral vote is a joke....that's all I have to say about that.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Actually he wasn't...he lost the total vote count. The people voted otherwise. The electoral vote is a joke....that's all I have to say about that.
I don’t prefer Trump or Hillary. I really don’t. But this argument always makes me wince. They played the game according to the rules. If the rules changed, so would have the strategies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad