Around the NHL #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004

A few years ago this was a blip, but I think going forward its going to become a real problem league-wide due to the "new paradigm" of giving 7-8 year high dollar deals (often with NMC attachments) to 28 year old UFA. By the time year's 6 thru 8 roll around, those deals are a boat anchor around a team's cap. A few weeks ago I was reading a similar article outlining how screwed the Wild are going to be in coming years as the contracts on Suter/Parise/Staal/etc. "mature" into those albatross windows...it painted a pretty grim picture.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A few years ago this was a blip, but I think going forward its going to become a real problem league-wide due to the "new paradigm" of giving 7-8 year high dollar deals (often with NMC attachments) to 28 year old UFA. By the time year's 6 thru 8 roll around, those deals are a boat anchor around a team's cap. A few weeks ago I was reading a similar article outlining how screwed the Wild are going to be in coming years as the contracts on Suter/Parise/Staal/etc. "mature" into those albatross windows...it painted a pretty grim picture.

All of those deals were snuck in before the CBA capped them. They're just still floating around on the books. Richards signed a 12 year deal, for example.

7-8 year deals for your best players will be the norm because if you won't give it to them, the open market will. As long as you are smart about it (Keller), it won't hurt (Backes, Lucic, Ladd, etc...)

Reactions: Fuhrious

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
All of those deals were snuck in before the CBA capped them. They're just still floating around on the books. Richards signed a 12 year deal, for example.

7-8 year deals for your best players will be the norm because if you won't give it to them, the open market will. As long as you are smart about it (Keller), it won't hurt (Backes, Lucic, Ladd, etc...)
Very true. I do think there is still a decent amount of risk in current-CBA deals like Duchene, Zuccarello, Karlsson for example. The dearth of NMC means this coming expansion draft will likely be one of the more interesting such event ever.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ottawa needs to keep him and whoever his linemates are. He needs to stay. He's unlikely to replicate anything like this in any other situation. Whatever is working, they need to lock down and keep forever.

Or sell high. This is a contract year for Duclair after all.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Or sell high. This is a contract year for Duclair after all.
No. This is the opposite of the “he wouldn’t have done it here” argument. He’s put up 12g and be health bombed 25 times and end up in the KHL and Ottawa would look really smart. Except he might have stayed a 30g goal there perennially.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Damn that Mike Richards contract pays him until 2032 because of the buy out. That’s ridiculous.

Reactions: CC96

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Just noticed Anaheim is last in the West. Pretty shocking considering they have Gibson, a pretty well rounded defense and still some firepower up front.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Kassian with 13 goals now, cant believe it.
I can. He's got good hands, and he's getting a good opportunity to play Simon to McDrai's Oates. He's a decent secondary scoring guy in a perfect situation.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
There are three teams atop the Pacific division all with 44 points. The Coyotes are in first due to playing a a game less than Vegas and 2 games less than Edmonton. Detroit lost to Toronto tonight, but we saw last week how that doesn't matter. Winning both of these two games before the break will be a challenge. (Are we ready for it, Sniper?) Not sure we'll hold on to first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad