Around the NHL - 2023 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
lol i always say that about bad teams when people mention they dont have any cap space. like what are they going to do with it anyway if they are rebuildling?
The Blackhawks had the atrocious Toews contract last year, riding out the Seth Jones deal. It doesn't really matter if everything really does go to hell. The risk is the opposite and you are like the Panthers, and you have to pay Bobrovsky 10m a year while he sucks and you have a contender.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Hellebuyck deal is sofreaking bad. Im so happy we are far away from it.

There are no good goalies after 32-33 years in NHL. Even Bobrovsky has only one good playoff from his deal and he was a better goalie.

that was his deal but that was idiotic deal for idiotic management. Or for manager who has only few years until being fired. Or for idiotic manager who has only few years until being fired.

step back from the ledge its going to be ok.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
step back from the ledge its going to be ok.
Sorry, didnt read your post. Don’t take it personal, it was about Winnipeg.
Still don’t like the way you described. At least let’s agree that it’s for better you (and me ) are not devils gm. Even for different reasons.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Hellebuyck would have been sweet as a rental, but I wouldn't want anything to do with him on this contract, though it potentially could be fine early on.

But Hellebuyck is also at the same age that good ole' Cory Schneider fell off, as well as too many other goalies to name. It doesn't mean he will, but he'll likely be pretty not good by the end of this deal.

We can’t say when Hellebuyck would fall off, it’s silly to debate it. He’s actually one of my favorite players, I’m not going to dump on the guy.

It’s just way harder to navigate around bad giant goalie contract and 31-38 is rough time if you aren’t Hasek.

These are the goalies who have played at least 15 playoff games at age 32 or younger, with Cup winners highlighted, in the last 20 years.

755F781B-960D-461E-90BD-2AA6C97D0925.png
88D3E032-ADBF-4B50-A231-B9F100907463.jpeg
C16B40AC-D2C5-4436-ACE3-933B263DB14C.jpeg
B5A6431D-3055-4930-BC41-11BCA2A9447D.jpeg

Here’s 33 or over:
DA3DAEC6-348E-4C68-B2FA-7E9DAFB576C8.jpeg
6C153949-599B-48BA-A8AC-B1E40E4ECE7B.jpeg

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
i'm not commenting on the jets situation but if buck is really truly that much more of an improvement over the playoff version of our goalies last year then i 100% would be fine with the contract for the devils as a ufa. i dont care about the back end years if he would significantly increase our cup winning chances in the next 4 years sign me up. so yes as a franchise at some point you have to say screw the cap 7 years from now and just get the guy you need to try and win NOW. for the record im completely fine running it back with the duo we have but i wouldnt be opposed if fitz went out and got a goalie and paid him that much either.
Goaltenders aren’t skaters though. It is harder to get out and hide bad deals. You are often are stuck having to play them, which can wreck the team. The Devils should still be a contender in 7 years so the back end of a deal like they would matter a lot.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Well maybe you say to me "Friend MasterofGrond, Dahlin is not as good as those players" to which I say, sure. Let's look at guys getting contracts right around 13% of the cap between the lockouts. 31 year old Bryan Mccabe, 32 year old Timonen, 32 year old Dan Boyle, Dion Phaneuf, Brian Campbell.

I mean, even without the benefit of hindsight, I'd rather have Dahlin than those guys at that point in their career right? People out here posting "well it's an overpayment right now, maybe it's ok if he grows into it while the cap goes up" smh.

How did thou know I Iike to pretend we’re all Quakers?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

disgusting. f*** this league
I don’t know why anyone is surprised by this after last year. Tape isn’t that different from the jerseys. If many players (say nearly the entire team) decided to use the tape then that spotlights the players not wearing them. Also if nearly a whole team is using the tape players can feel pressured into participating against their will, which is a no go from the Players Association standpoint. It sucks, but it isn’t surprising after last season where every player that didn’t wear the jersey became a news story.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I don’t know why anyone is surprised by this after last year. Tape isn’t that different from the jerseys. If many players (say nearly the entire team) decided to use the tape then that spotlights the players not wearing them. Also if nearly a whole team is using the tape players can feel pressured into participating against their will, which is a no go from the Players Association standpoint. It sucks, but it isn’t surprising after last season where every player that didn’t wear the jersey became a news story.
good, i’d prefer knowing which players are intolerant pieces of shit

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
good, i’d prefer knowing which players are intolerant pieces of shit

You realize that this is precisely why the NHLPA is taking this action, right? So that anyone that now doesn't do something, like in this case use the special tape for the night, doesn't automatically get labeled an "intolerant piece of shit" and raked over the coals by the media and social media.

Speaking of intolerance though...

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I dug up some old posts in the Hellebuyck trade
board thread.

Yeah guys like Tristan Jarry get 5 years even after an injury plagued season where he seemed totally on the outs. I'm totally on board with the Carolina, possibly NJ plan of just having 2 guys + a waiver exempt guy for no term longer than 3 years to hold down the fort, hope someone gets hot in the playoffs. Seems like a smart strategy...but if you want to pay up for the top goalies in the league, that's the price in years/term.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Hellebuyck resigning was the only reasonable outcome. They were never going to trade him during the season because he's important for their playoff chances.

Resign him and worry about a bad cap him in 5 years or so.

Or

Lose your best goalie and have to find a good replacement goaltender.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Goaltenders aren’t skaters though. It is harder to get out and hide bad deals. You are often are stuck having to play them, which can wreck the team. The Devils should still be a contender in 7 years so the back end of a deal like they would matter a lot.
A lot can happen between now and then and any contract can be moved if your willing to make it move so no I’m not worried about a bad goalie contract esp if we got x amount of good years out of the guy at the start of the contract. I get it everyone wants to win a lot for a long time but instead of worrying about winning 5 6 7 years from now let’s worry about winning right now next year etc

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah guys like Tristan Jarry get 5 years even after an injury plagued season where he seemed totally on the outs. I'm totally on board with the Carolina, possibly NJ plan of just having 2 guys + a waiver exempt guy for no term longer than 3 years to hold down the fort, hope someone gets hot in the playoffs. Seems like a smart strategy...but if you want to pay up for the top goalies in the league, that's the price in years/term.

The contract makes complete sense if you look at what other goalies have historically made.

There aren’t a ton of higher paid goalies so there’s less to go on but that also means the market is always pretty strong for them.

But then there was a rumor that Hellebuyck’s alleged salary ask, which I don’t even believe really was a thing, turned GMs off.

This led to weird HFBoard theories that no GMs would pay him close to his market value price.
All the projections were bizarrely low on term and salary.

He won a Vezina and was a finalist twice, including last season. He carries his team. He wasn’t taking a slightly better deal than what Grubauer (6 years/5.9m) or Markstrom (6 years/6m) got under a lower, frozen cap.

Sorokin got 8 years/8.25m on a deal that also starts in 2024-25. He’s younger but hasn’t won anything.

I thought Helly might go to 7 years/8m for us (or another contender) but I had a hard time seeing anyone getting anything better than that. If we got more of a discount, that would be the discount. If you don’t want to pay the price, don’t trade for him.

I don’t think he got traded because Chevy never wanted to trade him. If someone made it worth his while with a big enough offer, then sure, but that was always unlikely.

Getting a couple of roster players for PLD probably made the re-signed guys happier. Maybe buying out Wheeler eased tensions, who knows. (The Jets have outdone the Habs in goofy, confusing locker room drama lately and that’s hard to do.)

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
A lot can happen between now and then and any contract can be moved if your willing to make it move so no I’m not worried about a bad goalie contract esp if we got x amount of good years out of the guy at the start of the contract. I get it everyone wants to win a lot for a long time but instead of worrying about winning 5 6 7 years from now let’s worry about winning right now next year etc
If there are multiple years left and a goalie collapses it can be difficult. Look at what happened with John Gibson, the years left make that contract unmoveable. Look at what happened here with Schneider.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Oh no, poor persecuted straight man may be forced to answer questions in something other than hockey cliches. For a sport that prides itself on toughness there sure are some colossal p***yes in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad