Around the NHL - 2023 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Getting drunk and talking about art rules. There’s a reason the VMFA was my goto first date when I lived in Richmond.

Hey I’ve been there. It’s a great, if odd, museum.

The best collection of art deco/art nouveau I’ve ever seen (the art nouveau furniture is f***ing amazing) and it has a sneaky great collection of early modern art too.

A Mellon donated a shit ton of “British Sports Art” (aka dumb paintings of horses) though and they have a hilarious amount of them. The same Mellon gave them some not exciting minor Impressionist paintings too.

Making fun of what that one rich guy donated was fun and I was sober. I can’t even guess how many British horse paintings he bought and the museum was forced to pretend “British Sports Art” is a thing just to humor him.

I went there once years ago and remember this, it’s memorable if nothing else.

I still remember the art nouveau furniture was slamming, the couple that donated it had an amazing collection and the early modern art collection was theirs too. Some rich people with amazing taste, they was a real Goofus and Gallant energy going on between them and Mellon.

Last edited:

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Hey I’ve been there. It’s great, if odd, museum.

The best collection of art deco/art nouveau I’ve ever seen (the art nouveau furniture is f***ing amazing) and it has a sneaky great collection of early modern art too.

A Mellon donated a shit ton of “British Sports Art” (aka dumb paintings of horses) though and they have a hilarious amount of them. The same Mellon gave them some not exciting minor Impressionist paintings too.

Making fun of what that one rich guy donated was fun and I was sober. I can’t even guess how many British horse paintings he bought and the museum was forced to pretend “British Sports Art” is a thing just to humor him.

I went there once years ago and remember this, it’s memorable if nothing else.

I still remember the art nouveau furniture was slamming, the couple that donated had an amazing collection and the early modern art collection was theirs too. Some rich people with amazing taste, they was a real Goofus and Gallant energy going on between them and Mellon.
Yeah it owns. Punches well above its weight as a museum overall, but a super eclectic collection. And it's open every day. And it's free!

I used to live 3 blocks down the street so I went all the time. One of my favorite works ever, Landscape with Wing, by Anselm Kiefer, a huge very imposing and, for me, depressing piece, is smack dab in the middle of a bunch of very aesthetically different, very bright modern art, which I liked.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

AWAAQAHQ-P255320.jpg

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

It's like a Pavlovian response for me, but whenever I see this picture I think of Michael Bay's Transformers movie which came out the same weekend. I was a Transformers kid so I hated the movie. My buddy loved it just for the special effects and claimed that I was just in a bad mood about Gomez. I assured him that the movie was awful and that Gomez got overpaid.

Although on the flip side, I always smile if I see Superman Returns when I'm channel surfing. That movie was boring but I remember walking out of the theater and learning Patrik Elias re-signed in 2006.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It's like a Pavlovian response for me, but whenever I see this picture I think of Michael Bay's Transformers movie which came out the same weekend. I was a Transformers kid so I hated the movie. My buddy loved it just for the special effects and claimed that I was just in a bad mood about Gomez. I assured him that the movie was awful and that Gomez got overpaid.

Although on the flip side, I always smile if I see Superman Returns when I'm channel surfing. That movie was boring but I remember walking out of the theater and learning Patrik Elias re-signed in 2006.
You're weird.

:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad