Around the NHL 2023 - Playoffs 2024

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Interesting situation today and tomorrow.

STL plays VGK today
NSH plays VGK tomorrow

So if STL takes care of business in regulation tonight, and if the Preds can take care of VGK on the back end of a roadie B2B, then we're going to be putting STL 2 points back and in a good spot to knock out Vegas. The tie breaker is really close there too.

I hate rooting for STL but I'd love for Vegas to get bounced.

There is a difference in rooting FOR the Blues and rooting AGAINST Vegas.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Nothing semantic about my argument. 2 goals, +2, 6 shots, and the GWG is a good debut as a player .... the feelings factor among the fanbase has zero to do with how well a player performed in their debut.
The semantics are whether a "debut" is just bone game or the early few games of a career. No Geoffrion didn't score in his first game but he had 5 or 6 goals including a hat trick in his first few games. The point being made was that another son of a former player looked really good early on then went poof.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
The semantics are whether a "debut" is just bone game or the early few games of a career. No Geoffrion didn't score in his first game but he had 5 or 6 goals including a hat trick in his first few games. The point being made was that another son of a former player looked really good early on then went poof.
"Debut" has a meaning. Doan's debut was Tuesday ... it's over now.

It took Geoffrion three games to score his first two goals ... nine games to score his first goal at home ... the hat trick came in game 10.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
"Debut" has a meaning. Doan's debut was Tuesday ... it's over now.

It took Geoffrion three games to score his first two goals ... nine games to score his first goal at home ... the hat trick came in game 10.
"debut" can refer to one game, a series of games, or even a season. The nonpedantic,non literal observation I was making was that another legacy player started their career very strong and yet flamed out shortly thereafter. Whether you feel my point is relevant or semantically accurate is immaterial. I feel certain the others who read my post got the point.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
"debut" can refer to one game, a series of games, or even a season. The nonpedantic,non literal observation I was making was that another legacy player started their career very strong and yet flamed out shortly thereafter. Whether you feel my point is relevant or semantically accurate is immaterial. I feel certain the others who read my post got the point.
I dunno what youre arguing against but I get both your points just reading your posts about it

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005

Geoffrion's scoring did flame out after about game ten following a non-impactful debut where he had no points, zero +/-, no PIMs, no shots. He put up 2g, 2a in his final 23 games following the hat trick then ended up retiring due to injury. If Doan never scores again, he still had a good debut with a multi-goal game including the game winner.

I'll stick with the semantics of words having meaning. It makes the exchange of ideas possible.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Geoffrion's scoring did flame out after about game ten following a non-impactful debut where he had no points, zero +/-, no PIMs, no shots. He put up 2g, 2a in his final 23 games following the hat trick then ended up retiring due to injury. If Doan never scores again, he still had a good debut with a multi-goal game including the game winner.

I'll stick with the semantics of words having meaning. It makes the exchange of ideas possible.
Concrete thinking and semantic absolutism actually stifles exchange of opinions.

To wit, everyone else, and even you if you are honest, understood the idea I was trying to convey, specifically that another legacy kid started his career unexpectedly good then flamed out shortly.

Most people might have responded by either saying "good point, Arizona better not count their chickens" or maybe "here's why I think Doan will last longer than Geoffrion.." ... you know, opinions, ideas, thoughts...

Instead you derail the conversation over the literal meaning of "debut" and so the conversation is in the shitter, and half the board can only see my posts anyway because this is far from the first time you've driven conversation into a ditch over semantics.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Concrete thinking and semantic absolutism actually stifles exchange of opinions.

To wit, everyone else, and even you if you are honest, understood the idea I was trying to convey, specifically that another legacy kid started his career unexpectedly good then flamed out shortly.

Most people might have responded by either saying "good point, Arizona better not count their chickens" or maybe "here's why I think Doan will last longer than Geoffrion.." ... you know, opinions, ideas, thoughts...

Instead you derail the conversation over the literal meaning of "debut" and so the conversation is in the shitter, and half the board can only see my posts anyway because this is far from the first time you've driven conversation into a ditch over semantics.
Your initial retort was "So did Blake Geoffrion.... just sayin'." Then it was a complaint about semantics which you eventually followed by what you feel about Geoffrion's short career ... so three posts to get to a alleged point.

Even Lyndsay and Willy can use debut in a sentence.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN

let’s see if we can get the definition of insufferable next lol

I understood your point and everyone else does as well.

I always think bloodlines have a chance though… something about that drive or work ethic. This is not based on any data though

• Haha
Reactions: bdub24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad