Around the NHL 2023 - Playoffs 2024

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Agreed. I’d hate to put an even more outsized influence on what are essentially skills competitions. I’ve never really been bothered by ties in the regular season anyways.

The system soccer uses where you get 3 points for a win and 1 for a tie would be intriguing too. Would definitely make the end of tied games more compelling.
Yes, incentive to try to win the game to earn the extra point rather than turtling to preserve a single point.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
There's usually only like one team, at most, that may make the playoffs thanks to excessive OTL (e.g. tie) points. It usually doesn't even affect conference seeding. Don't think it's worth additional complication or adjustment to fix. The league will probably happily take one team every season or so being wrongly ousted from the playoffs in exchange for thw generally tighter races that the OTL/additional OT/SO winner points create.

W/OTW=2
OTL-1
\SO- 1pt for winner 0 for loser
Pulling the goalie would happen more often
This might create a dynamic where teams intentionally allow themselves to be scored on in OT to guarantee a point.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Vegas loses and Wild win again last night. Minnesota is only four points back of them and St. Louis is only six point back. I'm not typically one to cheer for the Wild or Blues but I'm pulling for them hard to knock out Vegas now. As long as they don't catch up with us too... Although that would require us to start losing.

Reactions: Viqsi and PredsV82

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Vegas loses and Wild win again last night. Minnesota is only four points back of them and St. Louis is only six point back. I'm not typically one to cheer for the Wild or Blues but I'm pulling for them hard to knock out Vegas now. As long as they don't catch up with us too... Although that would require us to start losing.
It would be pretty hilarious if vegas falls out of the playoffs

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Also the Red Wings are collapsing and look to miss the playoffs after holding a spot almost all season. I know many people said the Red Wings winning early in the season was good for hockey so I assume their failure must be bad for hockey? You hate to see it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Is there a reason folks hate the Red Wings? :huh: I get it for many of the teams out there... Hawks, Vegas, Blues, Ducks... but why Detroit? Not too many East teams I care much about either way, but rather see them in than Pittsburgh or Tampa or Toronto? :dunno:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Is there a reason folks hate the Red Wings? :huh: I get it for many of the teams out there... Hawks, Vegas, Blues, Ducks... but why Detroit? Not too many East teams I care much about either way, but rather see them in than Pittsburgh or Tampa or Toronto? :dunno:
Two reasons... Division Rivalry before the 2013 division re-alignment and in the early years, a large percentage of people here were Detroit fans due to moving here from Michigan due to the opening of various auto plants.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah they were our first ever rival and kind of the barometer of our success for so long. I’ll forever dislike them and the Sharks because of those playoff series back in the day. The Red Wings also have fans who say things like “the Red Wings winning is good for hockey” which I find incredibly obnoxious too.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
There is history, but if you are not the type that digs decades old rivalry, I’ll give you two words instead: Patrick Kane (which I guess is still a decades old rivalry thing…look we just hate them and you should too. Its good for you)

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I should also say I do like
There is history, but if you are not the type that digs decades old rivalry, I’ll give you two words instead: Patrick Kane (which I guess is still a decades old rivalry thing…look we just hate them and you should too. Its good for you)
The funny thing is that the Red Wings were like the Hawks before the Hawks. Dominant team that that was good for so long that large portions of their fan base decided it was their god given right to be good. I will say we do have a few Wings/Preds fan posters here and I'm not calling them out just that their fanbase has a large contingent of obnoxious fans (although for the Wings those have dwindled since they've struggled for so long).

Reactions: Viqsi and bdub24

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I should also say I do like

The funny thing is that the Red Wings were like the Hawks before the Hawks. Dominant team that that was good for so long that large portions of their fan base decided it was their god given right to be good. I will say we do have a few Wings/Preds fan posters here and I'm not calling them out just that their fanbase has a large contingent of obnoxious fans (although for the Wings those have dwindled since they've struggled for so long).
You have the prolonged success/dynasty obnoxiousness and entitlement on top of the Original 6 arrogance, obnoxiousness, and entitlement.

Any team where you'll see jerseys on people at a game where said team isn't playing (e.g. the O6 + flavor of the month teams) usually obnoxiousness follows.

Reactions: bdub24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Detroit and it's fans have become a lot easier to deal with over the years with them going east and sucking. Some of them were as bad if not worse than some of the old canadian fans out there and didn't mind showing their contempt for needing to play the likes of Nashville.

Best description I have for local fans, see some of your Alabama fans, you know the ones they never grew up rooting for Alabama, ain't a soul in their family ever rooted for Alabama but for some reason they have been an Alabama fan for the last 10 years. Yeah Detroit used to be like that.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The whole "Pred Wings" thing is interesting too. They were no doubt an important group in regards to having a fanbase to get the team off the ground and a lot of people truly were fans of both teams. But there were also a contingent of those fans that acted like the Preds would never reach the level of the Red Wings. That's why I still put beating the Red Wings in the 11-12 playoffs up there as a top Preds fandoms moment equal to the Blackhawks sweep or winning the WCF. Real shame they had to cancel the rest of the playoffs after that series though.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
You're joking right? How long have you been a Preds fan (serious question, because I assume any fan from before the Wings moved east understands the hate)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Also, since this is the Around The NHL thread and therefore non-Preds things are on-topic, your mentioning that season means I have an excuse to post this:

That same season was also the final year George Matthews called games for the Blue Jackets. He, more than anything or anyone else, is why I'm a hockey fan.
Why I'm a Preds fan specifically... blame @BigFatCat999, my cousins, Jim Balsillie, and a deep-seated sense of vindictivness. ;)

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Feel badly for Devin Cooley. Finally got an NHL start against the Hawks, was leading 2-1 halfway through the third then he gives up 3 goals in about 90 seconds

Reactions: Kat Predator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad