Around the NHL 2023 - Playoffs 2024

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
bittersweet time: Once SLC gets the team it will vault into a co- favorite team (viqsi dyanmic ) with the preds

Really looking fwd to this off season as the last one with exclusive preds fandom so for that- I hope we make a deep run

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's going to keep happening until the NHL does something about it. Frankly I think its the one thing that could completely undermine the sport because what point is there in having a salary cap if teams can just bypass it as much as they want?

It will be like NASCAR, they will look up one day and realize everyone is gone and will be sitting around wondering what happened.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I'm not upset about Stone. It was a lacerated spleen at the end of February. Seven weeks later he's cleared to practice. He's back ahead of schedule. It's the guys who are out longer than expected with injuries that have a more projected recovery timeline that are the potential issue.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
It's going to keep happening until the NHL does something about it. Frankly I think its the one thing that could completely undermine the sport because what point is there in having a salary cap if teams can just bypass it as much as they want?

It will be like NASCAR, they will look up one day and realize everyone is gone and will be sitting around wondering what happened.
nhl will never fall off like Nascar

Nascar peaked hard in the aughts (kind of like f1 today) , then had a 10 year span of all the big league working man heroes guys dying (earnhardt) or retiring (jeff gordon, labonte bros, tony stewart, dale jarett, mark martin etc) retiring in a short period of time and were replaced with milquetoast rich kids that had no appeal to the common man (like Indycar in the 90s). Then a series of asinine rule changes like the chase, stages etc led to more alienation and its current status as a niche sport.

While it could be argued the nhl straddles the line of mainstream and niche, it has local pride and support to fall back on- and the casual fans who comprise 80-90% of the fanbase will still
show up regardless of whatever rule changes the nhl does.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I feel bad for the AZ fans but that situation has become a distraction and a disaster all around. The move to Glendale and the subsequent falling off of the fan base spelled doom for the franchise.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I have nothing against Arizona as a team, but as a sports market they have basically been in shambles for a decade. It's more or less time to put a bullet in it to stop the suffering.
I will always be fiercely opposed to this line of argument because it's been used to justify relocationist bullshit for the Blue Jackets for years.

And the first I found out about it was, well, I'm on my way home from Dallas (was meeting with friends for the eclipse; overnighting at a hotel in Kentucky) and so turned on 102.5 The Game to listen to Preds @ Blackhawks on the radio, and they mentioned it then. :(

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I will always be fiercely opposed to this line of argument because it's been used to justify relocationist bullshit for the Blue Jackets for years.

And the first I found out about it was, well, I'm on my way home from Dallas (was meeting with friends for the eclipse; overnighting at a hotel in Kentucky) and so turned on 102.5 The Game to listen to Preds @ Blackhawks on the radio, and they mentioned it then. :(
There is a difference in the team being bad and a franchise just being ran poorly. They can't even find a place to play, yall are at least averaging 17k a game.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The East has 5 teams jockeying for 2 playoff spots with ~3 games to go. Nice.

In other news, Buffalo and Ottawa continue their tank and instant rebuilds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad