Around the NHL 2023-24 season thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think so. Make it the same as an icing and teams would still avoid doing it, but it wouldn't disproportionately swing momentum by granting the other team a PP.

You cannot convince me that flipping the puck out of the rink is an equivalent infraction to hooking, high-sticking, holding, tripping, etc. And that somehow if you accidentally manage to nick the glass while the puck goes out, that makes it ok.
It’s definitely equivalent to an icing, which is why it shouldn’t be a penalty. Or at least be consistent and make both penalties

Reactions: Nubmer6

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It’s definitely equivalent to an icing, which is why it shouldn’t be a penalty. Or at least be consistent and make both penalties
Icings do happen after attempts at positive plays at times. You try to hit the stretch pass and it misses. Its some real percentage of icings.

Flipping the puck out of play will be something that happens with almost no attempts at a positive play. It will just be a drag on how long the game goes, the flow, and will likely decrease offense.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Y’all don’t get it…

It’s a penalty that is in place for the entertainment of the game. It will be laughable if players can just start chucking pucks into the crowd whenever they want. Giving them another “icing” method will just hurt the game.

They will never get rid of that penalty for this very reason.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

It's not equivalent to an icing. Icing the puck usually (but not always) is done along the ice, and that makes the puck available to the opposition, and hell, if the other goalie wants to keep play going for whatever reason he can do so. Throwing the puck off the glass is trying to keep the puck as far away from the opposition as possible and should be discouraged - it is almost never intended as a pass. Every so often a defender totally yanks a puck that they're not even meaning to elevate or inadvertently knock a puck out of mid-air into the seats, I have sympathy for these, but if you're just trying to boringly glass the puck out? Nope. You're just trying to make a boring play that nobody wants to see. Sit for 2 minutes every time you f*** it up enough that it goes out of play.

Y’all don’t get it…

It’s a penalty that is in place for the entertainment of the game. It will be a laughable if players can just start chucking pucks into the crowd whenever they want.

They will never get rid of that penalty for this very reason.

People make the claim that it should be a referee's option to call it, but A: they won't, the only penalties they call with regularity are ones without intentionality (DoG and high sticks) and B: players will get very good at 'whoops, somehow the puck ended up out of play, dunno how that happened'.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL you guys act like this was some big epedemic before 2006, players were always ‘able to chuck pucks in the stands’ before then but it’s a lot easier to just ice the puck which is why that was the main issue that needed to be addressed and it was. The delay of game penalty was killing a fly with a machine gun.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I distinctly remember the stoppages of plays in the 2000s when there was no penalty for it. Yes, it didn’t happen often but it was an option. Even as a kid I thought it was stupid. Its not good for the sport.

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
LOL you guys act like this was some big epedemic before 2006, players were always ‘able to chuck pucks in the stands’ before then but it’s a lot easier to just ice the puck which is why that was the main issue that needed to be addressed and it was. The delay of game penalty was killing a fly with a machine gun.

It was a thing that happened, for sure. It's not easier to ice the puck in certain situations and in those spots guys would try to throw the puck out of play.

The delay of game penalty is a great penalty. Keep the puck on the ice, it's where the game is interesting.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I distinctly remember the stoppages of plays in the 2000s when there was no penalty for it. Yes, it didn’t happen often but it was an option. Even as a kid I thought it was stupid. Its not good for the sport.

A player could be penalized for it, it was just up to the ref to call it. It was an automatic penalty for goalies (which almost never happens).

Considering everyone hates “game management” not sure why people want to go back to refs discretion with this.

They’ll never let a player blatantly shoot the puck over the glass without a penalty. A big reason they have the rule is for fan safety. I prefer having the rule over having more netting.

It doesn’t even happen that often, players are talented enough to not make that mistake most of the time. It’s not like there’s a ridiculous number of penalties a game either.

I have no problem with the NHL asking players to get out of their zone without flinging it at the audience.

IMG_5462.jpeg
IMG_5471.jpeg

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Very unlikely scenario, but I don’t want to see a player facing the dzone with the puck and instead of trying to make a play in the other direction to get the puck out of the zone, they send it into the stands….in the cup final

The league doesn’t want that either

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Icings do happen after attempts at positive plays at times. You try to hit the stretch pass and it misses. Its some real percentage of icings.

Flipping the puck out of play will be something that happens with almost no attempts at a positive play. It will just be a drag on how long the game goes, the flow, and will likely decrease offense.
To piggy back off this, I've brought it up multiple times and have never gotten a good reason why it shouldn't be a change.

Move the icing "zone" back to the blue line. I'd say close to zeros times does a player get past their own blue line with the puck, panic and throw the puck down the ice, and if they did? Well fine, in the rare occurrences, they were at least able to get the puck out of their own zone, they "earned it," but that is so rarely the case. It would allow for stretch passes, more dump and chase strategies, speed up the game by less stoppages.

The absolute only argument I can see with this is in an empty net situation, that can either be figured out or ignored because I think the benefits way out weigh the negatives, if there are any.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Youll see nonstop pucks going over the glass if there was no penalty. That would be terrible for the sport.
i dont think that was an issue before the rule was it? at least i dont remember that being the case. never really noticed

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't think so. Make it the same as an icing and teams would still avoid doing it, but it wouldn't disproportionately swing momentum by granting the other team a PP.

You cannot convince me that flipping the puck out of the rink is an equivalent infraction to hooking, high-sticking, holding, tripping, etc. And that somehow if you accidentally manage to nick the glass while the puck goes out, that makes it ok.

I agree that the delay of game penalties for accidentally flipping the puck over the glass are often not on the same level as other penalties.

I wouldn't mind the league getting a bit more creative with this. What if the league were to call a 2 minute delay of game for every 2nd or 3rd infraction, with the others being treated as an icing? I don't think you'd see too many scenarios where players intentionally send the puck over the glass, particularly if every other infraction results in a 2 minute delay of game and those completely accidental times that it happens (which is 100% the case now) aren't penalizes as harshly as other minors that have a much more significant impact on the actual play.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I shouldn’t have said nonstop. One intentional flinging of the puck into the stands for a whistle is one too many.
i get what your saying. i'm good with the penalty just dont think it needs a review the story even says only 17 times out of 700 over 3 years i think were wrong? honestly i would go one step further then and make any defensive zone whistle mean the team can't change lines. still have a tv timeout since they need those but still cant change line so goalie freezes puck or puck off glass into stands or high stick anything else i cant think of you have to keep same guys out there other team can change after the break.

i'd also eliminate the ability for a hand pass in d zone. let the offensive team do hand passes but not the d team

Last edited:

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
i get what your saying. i'm good with the penalty just dont think it needs a review the story even says only 17 times out of 700 over 3 years i think were wrong? honestly i would go one step further then and make any defensive zone whistle mean the team can't change lines. still have a tv timeout since they need those but still cant change line so goalie freezes puck or puck off glass into stands or high stick anything else i cant think of you have to keep same guys out there other team can change after the break.

i'd also eliminate the ability for a hand pass in d zone. let the offensive team do hand passes but not the d team

Wait, what? Handpasses are illegal in the neutral zone too. Pretty sure that’s a general rule in hockey.

And saying a team can’t change lines when the puck is frozen is nuts.

Reactions: Call Me Al

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
A player could be penalized for it, it was just up to the ref to call it. It was an automatic penalty for goalies (which almost never happens).

Considering everyone hates “game management” not sure why people want to go back to refs discretion with this.

They’ll never let a player blatantly shoot the puck over the glass without a penalty. A big reason they have the rule is for fan safety. I prefer having the rule over having more netting.

It doesn’t even happen that often, players are talented enough to not make that mistake most of the time. It’s not like there’s a ridiculous number of penalties a game either.

I have no problem with the NHL asking players to get out of their zone without flinging it at the audience.

View attachment 839891
View attachment 839896
"It was an automatic penalty for goalies (which almost never happens)."

So we developed an easy method of getting it out of play. Cheevers was the first to perfect it and many have mastered it since. You use your blocker or stick to intentionally deflect the puck out of play on shots at the net. It can never be proved you did it on purpose, but it creates a stoppage, allows for line changes, and disrupts the opponents pressure. Lundqvist and Hasek were very good at heading it out of play. I'm sure you have seen others do it as well. You tell me when you can prove any of these moves were intentional. Never ever seen a DOG penalty as a result.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

So we developed an easy method of getting it out of play. Cheevers was the first to perfect and many have mastered it since. You use your blocker or stick to intentionally deflect the puck out of play on shots at the net. It can never be proved you did it on purpose, but it creates a stoppage, allows for line changes, and disrupts the opponents pressure. Lundqvist and Hasek were very good at heading it out of play. I'm sure you have seen others do it as well. You tell me when you can prove any of these moves were intentional. Never ever seen a DOG penalty as a result.

Brodeur was famous for this as well. That and his puckhandling almost certainly took a lot of pressure off the Devils' defensemen.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

So we developed an easy method of getting it out of play. Cheevers was the first to perfect it and many have mastered it since. You use your blocker or stick to intentionally deflect the puck out of play on shots at the net. It can never be proved you did it on purpose, but it creates a stoppage, allows for line changes, and disrupts the opponents pressure. Lundqvist and Hasek were very good at heading it out of play. I'm sure you have seen others do it as well. You tell me when you can prove any of these moves were intentional. Never ever seen a DOG penalty as a result.

Goalies “accidentally” knock the net off it’s off it moorings too.

We forgive you. You have to crouch all game in all that smelly equipment waiting for something bad to happen. Toughest job in sports.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
it's all a set up for me, in'it? ;)

Did you ever find a way to get to one of the upcoming shows?

I have it on very good and reliable word that Bad Religion are playing one of those last 2 or 3 shows with them in the LA area. They've announced the shows already a while ago, but none of the support is yet listed for those days in early October.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Did you ever find a way to get to one of the upcoming shows?

I have it on very good and reliable word that Bad Religion are playing one of those last 2 or 3 shows with them in the LA area. They've announced the shows already a while ago, but none of the support is yet listed for those days in early October.

not yet.... seems like all my married and have kids friends are being dicks and cant give me a straight answer.....or i could go by myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad