Around the NHL 2023-24 season thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
“Science is still lacking” lol what does that pud know about neuroscience.
"Lacking" is a loaded word. To me it makes it sound like they'v done studies and it's accepted that there is no relationship as opposed to they haven't really done proper studies yet so there is not enough underlying data for the appropriate doctors to draw conclusions.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
There's quite a bit of ink spilled on head hits and brain injury. Soccer with headers. Boxing. American and Canadian football. Give me a break. Daly is full of it.

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i'm confused whats the end game with this? so the nhl admits cte from hits to the head is real ok then what happens?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There's quite a bit of ink spilled on head hits and brain injury. Soccer with headers. Boxing. American and Canadian football. Give me a break. Daly is full of it.
A quick google search suggests to me that while the risks are clear, Daly is relying on the old legal maxim that correlation is not causation. Do I think he's being disingenuous? Absolutely. Is he legally stating an untruth? It likely would depend upon what court you were in and how good the expert was for the players. On balance he should be ashamed of himself and maybe subjected to repeated blows to the head for a long period of time so he can see the science at work.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
i'm confused whats the end game with this? so the nhl admits cte from hits to the head is real ok then what happens?

Ban fighting
Ban headshots
Ban late hits (what's considered a "continuation" hit now)

You know, the shit they should have done 20-30 years ago

Probably also fewer games and more maintenance days so players have more chance to recover.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Ban fighting
Ban headshots
Ban late hits (what's considered a "continuation" hit now)

You know, the shit they should have done 20-30 years ago

Probably also fewer games and more maintenance days so players have more chance to recover.

maybe they will eventually do that stuff but i dont see that happening anytime soon. i personally like fighting so i hope they dont get rid of it. they kinda do ban headshots with penalties and suspensions same with late hits. bottom line is its a physical sport only way you eliminate that stuff is eliminate hitting all together. i feel for the players of the 80s 90s i dont feel like we were there as a society knowing what we know now. but come on if you are signing up to play football hockey TODAY or any other contact sport its known that this is a big issue thats on you then. if the league wants to change like you said great if they dont then so be it dont play? i dont know

Kings had two goalies nix trades to them.
they are afraid of that income tax

Reactions: mdj12784

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
maybe they will eventually do that stuff but i dont see that happening anytime soon. i personally like fighting so i hope they dont get rid of it. they kinda do ban headshots with penalties and suspensions same with late hits. bottom line is its a physical sport only way you eliminate that stuff is eliminate hitting all together. i feel for the players of the 80s 90s i dont feel like we were there as a society knowing what we know now. but come on if you are signing up to play football hockey TODAY or any other contact sport its known that this is a big issue thats on you then. if the league wants to change like you said great if they dont then so be it dont play? i dont know

they are afraid of that income tax

To be clear, when I say "late hits" I mean all hits that occur after the player has released the puck. (This is technically already the rule, the only legal hit is to separate the player from the puck, but obviously it is not understood or enforced that way.)

Headshots are also technically banned but DOPS bends over backwards to avoid penalizing them, so a lot of this is more changing the enforcement rather than the explicit rule.

Most players signing up to play hockey are children, and they're signed up by their parents.

Some people enjoy watching the Bedards and Hugheses make high skill plays at high speeds, some people enjoy watching people give each other brain injuries.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
To be clear, when I say "late hits" I mean all hits that occur after the player has released the puck. (This is technically already the rule, the only legal hit is to separate the player from the puck, but obviously it is not understood or enforced that way.)

Headshots are also technically banned but DOPS bends over backwards to avoid penalizing them, so a lot of this is more changing the enforcement rather than the explicit rule.

Most players signing up to play hockey are children, and they're signed up by their parents.

Some people enjoy watching the Bedards and Hugheses make high skill plays at high speeds, some people enjoy watching people give each other brain injuries.

Then the NHL should promo boxing and UFC and leave the head shots there.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
The thing that makes the NHL ignoring CTE worse than Football is I don’t know how you take hitting out of Football.

You can take hitting out of hockey and it’s still hockey.

Reactions: Blackjack

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The thing that makes the NHL ignoring CTE worse than Football is I don’t know how you take hitting out of Football.

studies say this shows a reduction in force impact of 10% compared to a bare helmet. it's a start at least.

... and i'm surprised with all the fights that tie domi has had his head isnt mash potatoes.
oh wait.... can't feel anything when your head is literally made of concrete......f***ing piece of shit cement head

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ

What blows my mind is that a football player can take a blow to the head, have a fencing response, and be back in a week, whereas a hockey player could be out for months.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
No surprise really...

1711037157552.png

Reactions: Guttersniped

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

Youth football participation is down big time because parents don't want their kids getting head injuries.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
more challenges so stupid just get rid of over the glass penalty all together. put video reviews back into every building and review all goals scored just like they did in the 90s and early 2000s. the "war room" review is a pointless "improvement"

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Youll see nonstop pucks going over the glass if there was no penalty. That would be terrible for the sport.

I don't think so. Make it the same as an icing and teams would still avoid doing it, but it wouldn't disproportionately swing momentum by granting the other team a PP.

You cannot convince me that flipping the puck out of the rink is an equivalent infraction to hooking, high-sticking, holding, tripping, etc. And that somehow if you accidentally manage to nick the glass while the puck goes out, that makes it ok.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I don't think so. Make it the same as an icing and teams would still avoid doing it, but it wouldn't disproportionately swing momentum by granting the other team a PP.

You cannot convince me that flipping the puck out of the rink is an equivalent infraction to hooking, high-sticking, holding, tripping, etc. And that somehow if you accidentally manage to nick the glass while the puck goes out, that makes it ok.
Like I said, it will be terrible for the sport to have another “icing” method. The amount of instances where players are in a jam and can easily chuck it into the stands is not good for the league if you go down that route. It’s really not a conversation to be had. The DOG penalty is needed.

I agree that it should be reviewable though. And maybe the ones where players inadvertently hit it out of mid air and over the glass should be excluded. But you can’t just get rid of the DOG penalty. It would hurt the quality of the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad