Around the NHL 2023-24 season thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Not really NHL news......but I was hoping for Vegas. Although I always wondered if they could guarantee that many hotel rooms around NYE. Vegas is hosting the 2026 Frozen Four at least. If the 2026 WJC is in Seattle, I could use that as a crutch to visit college friends.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I got a Kings puck autographed by Bjornfot at that draft for my coworker, guess it won't be worth a ton.

Semi-interesting thing from that draft, the Kings wanted to end up with a forward+D with picks #22 and #33. They had Arthur Kaliyev ranked higher than Bjornfot but they didn't think Bjornfot (or another D in that tier) would last until #33. So they took Bjornfot first and figured a forward from that tier would still be there with their next pick.

Also enjoyed debating the #22 pick with the Kings board mostly regarding whether they should pick Spencer Knight. One poster was adamant about the 'no goalies in the first round' stance and then listed all the top scorers in the NHL and most were first rounders. But poster seemed to ignore that most of those guys were top 5 picks.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
  • Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It’s so messy and interpreted so many different ways.

The thing is, the situation is not messy. Stick to the face with clear intent to injure. Audio is not needed. It's obviously a suspendable play and absolutely should be something the league is looking to take out of the game. If the dops punished these, and other flagrant, dangerous plays properly (harshly) this wouldn't be a conversation. But because they are so lax and utterly incompetent, people feel like the players still need to police themselves.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
“Great detail on the part of the Jersey no one will see” lol

yeah i dont get it just like the devils did with their inner part. why not just put it around the outside?

So 11.25M x 8 for Nylander, huh?

Letting the inmates run that asylum is going to haunt that organization for years. They will never win anything.
putting up during a contract year is always good for the player. what should he realistic get though?

Reactions: Clam Jensen

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
putting up during a contract year is always good for the player. what should he realistic get though?
In a vacuum, Nylander would probably get a double-digit AAV if he were to ever hit the market. I'd have to do a deep dive to figure out which teams would give a winger that much, but there's probably some.

For the Leafs though? There's no way he will (or should) sign for less than Marner's 10.9M. And these are completely self-inflicted circumstances. Dubas got manhandled after his "we can and we will" declaration and it created this double-digit-AAV floor (lol) for star players in Toronto.

My3Sons

Sponsor
The thing is, the situation is not messy. Stick to the face with clear intent to injure. Audio is not needed. It's obviously a suspendable play and absolutely should be something the league is looking to take out of the game. If the dops punished these, and other flagrant, dangerous plays properly (harshly) this wouldn't be a conversation. But because they are so lax and utterly incompetent, people feel like the players still need to police themselves.
It's just an opinion issue with words. This involves an obviously clear cheap shot and we are talking about Gotham City style vigilante justice? That's something the alleged grownups in charge of the game should deal with. As you've astutely noted, the fact that we are having to have this discussion qualifies as messy to me. Maybe pathetically disappointing would be more accurate? We agree on this, it's just how we view the semantics. I'm amazed how tough these players are. Some of these hits should have incapacitated someone along the way. Not just a bad concussion, I'm surprised there hasn't been something much worse. Hopefully they clean it up before that happens.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
In a vacuum, Nylander would probably get a double-digit AAV if he were to ever hit the market. I'd have to do a deep dive to figure out which teams would give a winger that much, but there's probably some.

For the Leafs though? There's no way he will (or should) sign for less than Marner's 10.9M. And these are completely self-inflicted circumstances. Dubas got manhandled after his "we can and we will" declaration and it created this double-digit-AAV floor (lol) for star players in Toronto.
looking at what other players are getting he definitely will get 11 unless he takes a discount and i can't really fault dubas i mean the leafs are legit cup contenders with this roster. now could they use the 11 million for other needs? sure no team is perfect but are there better options available i dunno. i just think they are unfortunate to be in the hardest division while their cup window is open in a division heavy playoff format

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

You're speaking like it's still 2020. It's 2024, and star players make more than $10M a season now. I think Dubas got himself into trouble on some of these deals but it's very funny how guys like you would've said he got taken to the woodshed on the Nylander deal but actually that one's turned out quite shrewd.

With Matthews, there was a credible threat of an offer sheet, and with Marner, he was willing to play hardball. Dubas bet on the cap going up and whoops it never did.

Reactions: Guttersniped

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's just an opinion issue with words. This involves an obviously clear cheap shot and we are talking about Gotham City style vigilante justice? That's something the alleged grownups in charge of the game should deal with. As you've astutely noted, the fact that we are having to have this discussion qualifies as messy to me. Maybe pathetically disappointing would be more accurate? We agree on this, it's just how we view the semantics. I'm amazed how tough these players are. Some of these hits should have incapacitated someone along the way. Not just a bad concussion, I'm surprised there hasn't been something much worse. Hopefully they clean it up before that happens.

I would not call it an astute observation on my part. I'm just an annoyed, middle aged man rambling on the internet :laugh:

My3Sons

Sponsor
I would not call it an astute observation on my part. I'm just an annoyed, middle aged man rambling on the internet :laugh:
Just wait until you are an annoyed, old man rambling on the internet. I can promise you it doesn't get any better.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

1704446472155.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad