Around the NHL - 2023-24 season thread (MOD warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And LOL @ Jacques Martin. Obviously just an interim hire, but it's been a longgggggggg time since he was a head coach. He's been an assistant a few times in the not so distant past, like with the Pens most recent cup teams and even with the Rangers for a year. I'm pretty sure he replaced Lindy Ruff on their stuff when we hired him, but he only lasted that one year, and he along with Quinn and the rest of the staff and management were blasted after that season.

He's 71 years old.

Him being a head coach in the NHL again makes me feel young. He was a head coach in the NHL when I was just a kid, I was in elementary school when he got his first NHL head coaching gig in St. Louis.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

We all found out why pretty quick lol.

IMG_0922.jpeg

link

“When I first came, we weren’t at the level that this organization is at now. They’ve been building over the last four or five years,” Martin said Wednesday. “I think they’re on the cusp now of being able to take another step in the right direction. And then challenge for a championship.”

The idea to bring Martin back into the fold was the brainchild of Steve Staios, who is currently serving in a dual role as president of hockey operations and general manager. Staios said he consulted with head coach D.J. Smith about adding more support to his coaching staff.

“My job is to identify areas throughout the organization where we can add some support,” Staios said. “Our commitment is to providing all the tools and resources for us to be successful.”

“Right away I thought it was a good idea,” Smith added.

In his new capacity, Martin won’t be on the bench or on the ice with the Senators. Instead, he’ll serve as an additional “eye in the sky” during games, watching games and taking notes from the press box alongside his old pupil Daniel Alfredsson. Martin will help the coaching staff break down video and look for ways to implement structure into the Senators’ system.

“The one thing Jacques is known for is details,” said Smith. “For me and my staff, we’re going to try and get every piece of knowledge he has and introduce it to our team.”

What Martin saw after Dec 6th:
IMG_0923.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And LOL @ Jacques Martin. Obviously just an interim hire, but it's been a longgggggggg time since he was a head coach. He's been an assistant a few times in the not so distant past, like with the Pens most recent cup teams and even with the Rangers for a year. I'm pretty sure he replaced Lindy Ruff on their stuff when we hired him, but he only lasted that one year, and he along with Quinn and the rest of the staff and management were blasted after that season.

He's 71 years old.

Him being a head coach in the NHL again makes me feel young. He was a head coach in the NHL when I was just a kid, I was in elementary school when he got his first NHL head coaching gig in St. Louis.
Reminds me of the Lemaire comeback for 'my buddy Lou'. A Martin-Alfredsson bench sounds like something Lou would concoct, or a Devils-retro version of it anyway.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
DJ Smith firing needed to happen 3 years ago.

It will be interesting to see how their players perform now that they need to start playing defense. I was always curious how inflated the stats of some of those Senators were.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bleed will enjoy this one...

Jesus Lalime looks worse than 2023 Vitek
I'm glad this was posted.

Okay, so you know how I keep talking about goalies having a miserable playoffs and getting shipped out of town because of it? I constantly use Cechmanek as the epitome of that. Even though I'm sure there's MUCH bigger examples that escape me.

Lalime's 2004 playoffs, particularly that game 7 is another example that got a goalie shipped out of town. His overall stats those playoffs don't look anywhere near as bad as Vitek's or even anything worse than just average, but Lalime was toast there after that game. He was traded to St. Louis just a few weeks later for almost nothing.

Now, I know, they were doing that so they could shoot their shot at Hasek. They did trade Lalime before they were even able to legally talk to Hasek. That happened days before UFA. Hasek wasn't signed until July 6th, which was 9 days after they traded Lalime. So them signing Hasek was no guarantee by that point.

And also one other detail about Hasek at that point. He was 39 years old, he came back the season before after being retired for a year, but got injured pretty early on in the season if I'm not mistaken, and didn't play again that year. I wanna say he didn't play a game again that year after November or December of the season before. So Hasek was also no guarantee of being Hasek anymore. He wound up still being Hasek over a year later after the lockout, but he was injured at the 2006 Olympics and never played for the Senators again.

So I constantly forget about the Lalime example, but he was basically sent off out of town after that playoffs, but he had already been there for years and they clearly wanted to try something else. Martin also got fired after those playoffs, after having been that for years at that point. The 2003-2004 Senators were expected to contend, after falling just short against us in the 2003 ECF. So losing to the Leafs in the first round was a flop for them that season.

And that was the Leafs last playoff series win until this year.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I have to say, despite it not working out with Halak and not likely to work with Dell, I'm impressed with Carolina at least trying to find another goalie from the veteran FA ranks.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Really shitty for him but at least he'll be set for life and still get jobs in the league. That dirty Mackinnon hit seemed to have really been the final straw for him.

It's crazy how much of a bullet we dodged by not selecting him. I wanted Nico cause the injury prone stuff that they were talking about with Nolan did scare me a bit but I would have never guessed he would have this many issues to the point where he was forced to retire.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
DJ Smith firing needed to happen 3 years ago.

It will be interesting to see how their players perform now that they need to start playing defense. I was always curious how inflated the stats of some of those Senators were.
They're like Buffalo. Their top forwards just don't defend at all and seemingly have neither awareness nor effort to do it.

Will be tough to fix.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
They're like Buffalo. Their top forwards just don't defend at all and seemingly have neither awareness nor effort to do it.

Will be tough to fix.

Buffalo is a personnel issue.

I think Ottawa was a coaching issue. They constantly have a guy cheating at the blue line that tries to get past the opponent's defenders when there is a loose puck in their own zone.

Its every player doing it though. Their captain Tkachuk does it. Long time veteran Giroux does it. It has to be something they are told to do because these players would not be doing it otherwise.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

Considering he played 0 games with them during that regular season and 0 playoff games I don't see a problem with this.

Reactions: HBK27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad