Around the NHL - 2023-24 season thread (MOD warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Only NHL and NHL (non Devils) related talk here. No more talk about anything political including the NHL’s recent announcement because you guys just cannot keep the insults or politics out of it.

• Haha
Reactions: dirtydanglez

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I’m absolutely going to be asleep before the late game tonight, but very much looking forward to watching Bedard and EK/Graves on the Pens. Preds/Bolts I can take or leave, will probably watch baseball instead.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
5:30pm on a Tuesday is such a weird start time, I know it's Tampa and a lot of people retire to Florida but it's still really early for a weekday game unless people have off today for work down there or something else I don't know about? Lol

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
5:30pm on a Tuesday is such a weird start time, I know it's Tampa and a lot of people retire to Florida but it's still really early for a weekday game unless people have off today for work down there or something else I don't know about? Lol

Don't think so...it's the home/season opener, so guessing they'll just figure enough people will cut out of work early to attend.

IIRC, MLB often has home openers during weekday afternoons.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At least it’s not as bad as the Rays who got screwed over by the first round playoff schedule with like 3 PM games on a weekday, not exactly the market you want siesta start times in for attendance.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Don't think so...it's the home/season opener, so guessing they'll just figure enough people will cut out of work early to attend.

IIRC, MLB often has home openers during weekday afternoons.

At least it’s not as bad as the Rays who got screwed over by the first round playoff schedule with like 3 PM games on a weekday, not exactly the market you want siesta start times in for attendance.

I'm glad our schedule doesn't have too many of these. We have the 3pm black Friday game but at least a lot of people do get that day off.

I have no idea how anyone has full season tickets to an MLB team, I just can't imagine going to something like 6-9 games in a row no matter how much I love going.

Back to back home games to start the season is something I don't ever remember having before either for us.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Why wouldn't the NHL open on Columbus Day / Canadian Thanksgiving?

Seems like a missed opportunity. I mean, if you're going to start at 5:30pm the very next day, why not take advantage of the holiday? At least then you've got a reason to have a 5:30pm game (or earlier).

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

Seems like a missed opportunity. I mean, if you're going to start at 5:30pm the very next day, why not take advantage of the holiday? At least then you've got a reason to have a 5:30pm game (or earlier).
Because it’s the NHL and they basically never do the thing that makes the most sense.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

They probably thought today was Columbus day.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Because ESPN has rights to the first games of the season and they broadcast Monday Night Football. The 5:30 start is to give ESPN a triple header.

Likewise the season now starts a week later than it did when NBC had the rights because ESPN has the rights to the Wild Card round of the MLB playoffs. Any odd scheduling usually comes down to television time slot availability.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Is there an early bird ticket special? Will the tickets include appetizers, entree, and two cocktails? if not my parents can't go. Is valet parking an extra fee?

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Because ESPN has rights to the first games of the season and they broadcast Monday Night Football. The 5:30 start is to give ESPN a triple header.

Likewise the season now starts a week later than it did when NBC had the rights because ESPN has the rights to the Wild Card round of the MLB playoffs. Any odd scheduling usually comes down to television time slot availability.
Thanks - makes sense now. I still wonder if there was a better solution, but the ESPN wrinkle absolutely makes things harder.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
these Isles fans sure are something

buzz-lightyear-buzz-lightyear-meme.gif

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

such a shame

i remember watching nhl 2nite on the deuce growing up always good stuff with him i really would love to know what espn was paying him for the 3mins a month they would tot him out there before they got the games back.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Unfortunate for Melrose

The shakes became fairly obvious on the ESPN telecast last year.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York

such a shame

i remember watching nhl 2nite on the deuce growing up always good stuff with him i really would love to know what espn was paying him for the 3mins a month they would tot him out there before they got the games back.
Terrible news. Parkinson's is such an awful disease. :(

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
This one's too funny because Johnston was a guy Lou signed, and he deliberately signed him long-term and at a relatively high price so a team wouldn't take him on waivers.

Would not shock me to see him back on the Islanders by the end of the season.

Anaheim’s new coaching staff has two former coaches of Johnston so they know what they’re getting.

New HC Greg Chronin was an Assistant/ Associate Coach for the NYI between 2014-18. Johnston joined the organization in 2015 and made the big club (part time) in 2017–18.

New Assistant Coach Brent Thompson was the HC in Bridgeport from 2011-23.

They want Mr Punchy Face to give them toughness and blah blah blah.

BronzeAgeDevilsFan

Mar 19, 2023
bedard is slow. but has the most insane wrist shot ive seen. as much physicality as a slight breeze. lazy skater. great passing and awareness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad