Around the NHL - 2023-24 season thread (MOD warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Zetterlund has outproduced Timo this season and Muk is tearing up the AHL. Did Fitz mess up?
Timo has been hurt and clearly playing way below his ability while zetterlund is getting force fed opportunity on a terrible team.

I’m not thrilled with the trade results to date but, this is kinda cherry picking the worst possible moment for the comparison from the Devils side

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Of course I did, but he only had 4 pts in 11 games. The only thing I remember is him getting caught with his head down against Trouba

As others have noted he did much more than get hit in game 7. He was a thorn in the side of Shesterkin and in a seven game series you can’t change anything and expect to win. The pieces and parts traded for Meier were significant but largely expendable for NJ.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
Timo has been hurt and clearly playing way below his ability while zetterlund is getting force fed opportunity on a terrible team.

I’m not thrilled with the trade results to date but, this is kinda cherry picking the worst possible moment for the comparison from the Devils side
The worst possible moment - so far.
skeletor-glad-i-could-help.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised if Chicago claims Raanta. They can't be too happy with SoderBUM, but if he's not waiver exempt, they probably won't claim Raanta.

I can't think they're too worried about potentially upgrading the goalie position with what they're trying to do this year, but bottom feeders have made claims on goalies before.

Maybe the Oilers? They're probably still ahead of us in the waiver line.

He cleared. No one wants that bum
I guess I missed it already.

Thought we'd have to wait until around 2:15 or so or maybe 2:10 to hear.

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
FFS, I get the frustration with Timos game but my god lets give it some years before making judgements on the damn trade/contract…
Years? I don't think you have to wait years to have an opinion. Months, sure. We're also how many months since trading for him? Hurt this year gives him a longer leash, need everything last year gives him a longer leash, "slow starter" again more leash. I think if by Valentines Day there is no clear jump in play, having "judgments" is perfectly fair.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Years? I don't think you have to wait years to have an opinion. Months, sure. We're also how many months since trading for him? Hurt this year gives him a longer leash, need everything last year gives him a longer leash, "slow starter" again more leash. I think if by Valentines Day there is no clear jump in play, having "judgments" is perfectly fair.
Took Dougie over a year to win everyone over. Kovalchuk, Zubrus etc…

And its not like Timo didn’t play good in the postseason last season. Arguably our best forward, Igor was the difference in his statline. People still haven’t a clue on how incredible Igor was against us in that series. He had something like 12 goals saved above expected which is absurd in one series. We know how he can play, we literally saw it. He is obviously playing hurt at the moment. So just like Dougie, he deserves a longer leash.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

And its not like Timo didn’t play good in the postseason last season. Arguably our best forward, Igor was the difference in his statline. People still haven’t a clue on how incredible Igor was against us in that series. He had something like 12 goals saved above expected which is absurd in one series. We know how he can play, we literally saw it. He is obviously playing hurt at the moment. So just like Dougie, he deserves a longer leash.
I don't disagree with you, I'm not panicking about it, but I don't necessarily dismiss the people who are, the concerns are valid. Something's certainly not quite right with him right now.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Zetterlund has outproduced Timo this season and Muk is tearing up the AHL. Did Fitz mess up?

I hope Zetterlund does well, but he is getting 17:51/game right now including PP1 time since somebody like Logan Couture has been hurt all season. I'm reminded of a guy like Blake Comeau who put up 24 goals and got PP1 time in 2009-10 when the Islanders were still rebuilding. Some fans expected that to continue but he bounced around as a bottom six guy for the remainder of his career on other clubs.

On the main board, I posted a reminder about how Niclas Bergfors had more points than Ilya Kovalchuk through the first ~30 games of the 2010-11 season.

Speaking of the Bay Area, I still chuckle about one of their local beat writers giving an MVP vote to Kevin Pillar in 2019. Giants didn't have a deep team so they used Pillar in the middle of the lineup and he accumulated a decent number of RBIs. But every other metric pointed to him still being the same below average hitter that he'd always been. I wonder how that beat writer felt when Pillar was out of the league in a couple years.

Last edited:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Zubrus in particular is a good example. I remember when in 2007 people were expecting him to be a replacement for Gomez, and he couldn’t be.

Some dipshits in the comments on TG’s blog were calling him “Die on us Zubust”, which was both childish and stupid.

Fast forward to now and the guy is remembered as the platonic ideal of a Devils power forward.

I expect the same will happen with Timo when he has a whale of a series during a Cup run. He will enter Devils lore, mark my words.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

LONGGGGGGG overdue.

But I said at the beginning of this road trip that it's probably coming at the end of the road trip (like a day or two before Christmas lol) unless they somehow surprise with a good road trip.

This should have happened even before the ownership change/before Staois even came in, but no later than when that happened.

I've been saying that for the last month or so it seems they've done their own take on Shero sending Fitz to the bench to babysit Hynes, so it was beyond obvious Smith was on life support. They had Alfredsson on the bench for the games in Sweden and Jacques Martin was brought in a week or two ago to be some kind of ''Advisor to the coaching staff'' so you knew it wouldn't go on too much longer.

He's a horrible head coach and since Babcock's reputation was been MAJORLY disgraced since the Sens hired DJ Smith 4.5 years ago, I'm skeptical he gets another head coaching job in the NHL anytime soon. Maybe people really like him like they like Hynes? But Hynes was pretty much being groomed to be an NHL head coach for a lot longer than Smith had been before each were hired to their first jobs, and we did make the playoffs the one year under Hynes. The Sens haven't made the playoffs once under DJ Smith, not even in the covid bubble playoffs.

So now we get to play the Sens at the end of the month post-coaching change. That could either benefit us or not. Because if they hadn't made the change, we probably would have given DJ Smith and them their first win in who knows how long, like the other cream of the crap loser suck teams we play. But they'll probably play a little better now that he's gone (they weren't playing well AT ALL under him this year) and maybe we'll get up for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad