Around the NHL - 2023-24 season thread (MOD warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
My guess is the reference to “officially” retired may have something to do with paying out whatever is left on his contract.

That is my guess too. If he still claims he's an active player, he can get paid out the remainder of his contract while he stays on garden leave.

If he retired, he might be forfeiting some or all of that. Easy choice to make, even if he knows he's never playing again.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t think he even is under contract? It says UFA in 2023 for Nolan Patrick.

So it appears he wasn’t signed to play anymore this year.

I didn’t think he was, because he hasn’t played in years and I figured no one would have given him a 4-5 year deal at the time.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That is my guess too. If he still claims he's an active player, he can get paid out the remainder of his contract while he stays on garden leave.

If he retired, he might be forfeiting some or all of that. Easy choice to make, even if he knows he's never playing again.

There could also be some NHLPA benefits at issue for ongoing medical care etc. Whatever the underlying causes are of his medical issues hopefully not playing will resolve them.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
There could also be some NHLPA benefits at issue for ongoing medical care etc. Whatever the underlying causes are of his medical issues hopefully not playing will resolve them.
While we're speculating, my guess is that he's given up on playing in the near future, but not yet the long term. He's probably paid his NHLPA dues for the year - what's the point of retiring now vs when he can do so later? See how he feels in a few months.

I have to imagine that giving up on your dream because of injury is a hard thing when you're 25. I still thought I was invincible / able to do anything at that age.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Looked this up.

The gross Ducks games reminded me of one of my fav things, Henrique’s glorious career Shooting %. He’s never shot a lot, but he was always a filthy sniper.

He’s currently at a career 15.5% shooting %. How good is that?

Among players with at least 700 GP (Rico has 860 GP):

IMG_1325.jpeg
IMG_1326.jpeg
IMG_1327.jpeg

IMG_1328.jpeg
IMG_1329.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

IMG_1332.jpeg

Adding since 2010-11, when he started, for players with at least 500 GP to get more recent stars in (and Paul Byron lol).

IMG_1333.jpeg

Last edited:

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
but he did get a ring how so without playing any games?

There are specific rules governing who gets their name on the Cup.

A skater must play 41 games or one game in the Stanley Cup finals. A team can petition the NHL to get a player added who doesn’t meet the requirements.

The winning team can give a Stanley Cup ring to anyone they want, they made them.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I really enjoyed these results because they will annoy Rangers fans. Good job voters.

The Canucks’ hot start cost them some deserved votes in “most delusional fanbase” tho.

IMG_1341.jpeg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Is anyone tracking how often the actual final scores are aligning with this xG BS? Because it sure does seem like they don't align quite often.

Call me crazy but anything less than like 90% accuracy shouldn't be labeled "EXPECTED" anything.

Randomness exists. Do you really think teams are getting 9 xG in a game or anything close to it? For some reason 2023 isn't working on the NST database, but in 2021-22 teams collectively outscored their 5v5 xG by 200 goals. Spread this out among the ~1200 games and it's underestimating 5v5 goal rates by .16 per game. Not nothing, but not holding up to the claims made here.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
two michigan goals scored last night!

how nice are those ducks jerseys though 🤤

The duck jerseys are a bit weird to me.

These are their 30th Anniversary jerseys:
IMG_1439.jpeg
IMG_1440.jpeg

These were their 25th Anniversary jerseys, very Shark-like IMO.

IMG_1446.jpeg
IMG_1443.jpeg
IMG_1444.jpeg

Changing the angle of the bottom stripes did fix an issue with the originals.

It stopped double digit numbers from overlapping on the stripes.
IMG_1448.jpeg
IMG_1449.jpeg

And for their 20th Anniversary, they simply wore the original unis for a game.
IMG_1450.jpeg

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I don't understand why the Ducks don't wear their original uniforms with the original logo. I love unique color schemes and purple and teal is an awesome combination. I also love the Commanders maroon and yellow. I would love to see us go with red and green permanently since every other team in sports wears red and black. Red and green is an awesome combination.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot