Around the NHL 2023-2024

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
That’s why I’ve always been an advocate for physical 2 way players. Not all 12 forwards have to be ass kickers, but most need to play that style. Our cup winning team was very hard to play against. We punished you

Reactions: Blueston

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I really don’t get the love for Morgan Reilly. I don’t find him particularly dynamic in any area of the ice.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Been watching a lot of the Canes because of a series bet I have on them. Not sure why some were bashing Martin Necas when there were rumblings of him being available.That dude is good. Powerful skater for a man his size. Good puck skills. Physical. They defer to him as the puck carrier on the 2nd pp unit. Seth Jarvis on spittin chicklets had very high praise for him. Said he was both the most naturally skilled AND fastest player on Carolina.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Necas was never a problem for the Canes. He is part of their solution, but Buchnevich would also have been. The kid who looks real good is Jarvis. They gotta get DeAngelo out of their lineup if they want to go deep, as he is an exploitable scrub. But they have Svechnikov, Guentzel and Kuznetsov who they didn't have last year, and Orlov who they acquired last year has settled in now. They are a real threat. The second round is where this year's playoffs are truly at.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Necas was never a problem for the Canes. He is part of their solution, but Buchnevich would also have been. The kid who looks real good is Jarvis. They gotta get DeAngelo out of their lineup if they want to go deep, as he is an exploitable scrub. But they have Svechnikov, Guentzel and Kuznetsov who they didn't have last year, and Orlov who they acquired last year has settled in now. They are a real threat. The second round is where this year's playoffs are truly at.
Jarvis is good. Plays in a checking role w Staal at even strength but plays on the PP and you see his skill set in that role. He has a mature game for his age…and DeAngelo is only in bc Pesce got hurt.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I don't know how many Toronto failures it is going to take to make hockey fans realize you build a true contender from the defense out. Probably a lot more though
Even a Mason Lohrei up and coming type or Nic Hague would make our D a lot more passable. Sadly we don’t.

And physical 2 way forwards.
Yes. Carolina and Vegas are most similarly built to our Cup team in my opinion because of the forwards commitment to checking.

Reactions: Mike Liut

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Jarvis is good. Plays in a checking role w Staal at even strength but plays on the PP and you see his skill set in that role. He has a mature game for his age…and DeAngelo is only in bc Pesce got hurt.
Oh I know why DeAngelo is in, my Canes friend talks a lot about the difference between Pesce and DeAngelo lol

edit, this is the thrust of his argument:

Deangelo stat sucks.png

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Marner, Panarin, Gaudreau are players I wouldn’t take for free.

For free, meaning I wouldn’t trade assets and take on their salaries. I didn’t mean if they would play for free.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
13 minutes in and the Avs are just dominating the Jets. Only 1-0 so far but the Jets haven’t touched the puck.

EDIT:30 seconds after I post this the Jets score :laugh:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Hellyebuck looks nervous and is awful. Winnipeg and the Islanders are waste of playoff spots

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
How well do you think Marner will perform without Matthews? Do you think he'll be worth his 11m contract or would we have to hear you whine about another soft player that plays video games and doesn't perform up to his contract? I would rather stick with Kyrou personally.
If he's not a fan of Kyrou, I doubt he'd like Marner.

Honestly of the two, I'd keep Kyrou.

Reactions: Ranksu and Blueston

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I didn't catch any of the game until OT. Heard about the comeback during intermission and turned the game on in time to see Nashville give up the absolute heart breaker. Wasn't having RoR on their team supposed to prevent collapses like this?

Reactions: mk80

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Preds choke another game away.
People throw "choke" around way too liberally, but this game was pretty egregious. Like the Canucks weren't even in the game. Nashville was dominating them for 56 minutes and somehow lost.

O'Reilly was skating a couple steps behind Lindholm on the OT finisher. I haven't seen a replay so I don't know if he was truly responsible for not covering Lindholm in front of the net, but it was pretty ridiculous how wide open he was there. Garland made a heck of a pass, though.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I didn't catch any of the game until OT. Heard about the comeback during intermission and turned the game on in time to see Nashville give up the absolute heart breaker. Wasn't having RoR on their team supposed to prevent collapses like this?
considering he was watching from 3 feet away while his guy put the dagger in preds season, i'm gonna say no.

Reactions: The Electrician

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Watching that Vancouver-Nashville game, you could just see it coming. When Van scored that second goal I thought “uh-oh!”

Must feel hopeless to be a Jets fan. You have a great season and then just get mopped up in rd 1 like you’re nothing.

I reallllly don’t want to see Colorado advance.
My only rooting interest during this year's playoffs is seeing the Avs eliminated. Very disappointed in the Jets' performance so far. All in all the first round has been one of the most boring in recent memory. Pretty terrible hockey to watch, in general.

I do think Dallas will win tomorrow so that series could go to 6 or 7. Other than that there's not much intrigue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad