Around the NHL 2023-2024

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Flyers needing a regulation win to stay alive, pulled their goalie in a tie game with about 3 minutes to go. Oshie scored into empty net for the winnig goal to put Caps into playoffs. So Wings got eliminated because Flyers pulled their goalie in a tie game. I can't tell you how much I love that!!!
Philly was eliminated once Detroit earned 1 point. Perron scored and sent the game to OT about a minute before Torts pulled the goalie. So it was all for naught. Now, did Torts know that? Someone updating him on out of town scores that quickly? Probably not but that has to sting even more for Detroit fans.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Philly was eliminated once Detroit earned 1 point. Perron scored and sent the game to OT about a minute before Torts pulled the goalie. So it was all for naught. Now, did Torts know that? Someone updating him on out of town scores that quickly? Probably not but that has to sting even more for Detroit fans.
Doesn't it make it even sweeter if Detroit (and Pittsburgh) got eliminated because Torts screwed up?

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I really wanted to see Crosby and the Penguins sneak in to that final spot. Penguins v. Rangers would've been an interesting series with the way Pittsburgh played down the stretch.

I have zero interest in watching Washington. Boring, boring brand of hockey over there. I suppose we'll get some Wilson v. Rempe drama, but other than that, I see a snoozer of a series.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Dallas get pretty good player. Nice Pk'er, can shoot and skates well. This was his brake season in Finland.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
The Capitals finished with the same amount of points, with 3 less regulation wins (but 6 more OTL’s)and Lindgren had pretty comparable stats to Binnington/Hofer, but go off
who has a chance at a cup and who doesnt?

ill take a binner/chuckie combo any day of the week.

If the Blues kept sideburns, who should they have gotten rid of and how? Binner or Hofer?
whoever they got the best deal for. probably could get a nice haul if you traded hofer + kyrou + krug.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
1713346467966.png

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
who has a chance at a cup and who doesnt?

ill take a binner/chuckie combo any day of the week.

whoever they got the best deal for. probably could get a nice haul if you traded hofer + kyrou + krug.
Blues also had a tougher road to the WC spot. Caps would’ve missed too if they were in the West.

I’m not a chuckie hater, I’m just not gonna pretend he’d be the answer to all our problems

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Seen a bunch of interviews lately where the thirsty ESPN guys or whoever try to get some player to admit they are watching scoreboards during the game in real time continuously, and so many have said oh absolutely that is what is going on that I am fairly confident cross-game information was close to real time

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Officially, Philly wasn't mathematically eliminated the moment Perron scored. A video review could have overturned the goal (Larkin fell on his stomach during the faceoff win and in real time there was some reason to believe it may have been a hand pass). Maybe the refs put 1-2 seconds more on the clock and there is a miracle red-line goal by Montreal. And even when the game officially went to OT, Detroit could have forfeited the loser point if they pulled the goalie to try and get the 2 points with a 4 on 3 (or 5 on 3) instead of a shootout.

The odds of Detroit losing that point were extremely slim, but they weren't fully 0%.

And Torts had literally nothing to lose from taking a regulation loss instead of an OT win. I believe that the staff didn't pass along the update to Torts, because it frankly wasn't information he needed. But even if he did know that Detroit sent the game to OT, doing everything possible to get a regulation win for his team even if there was just a .000000000001% chance of Detroit forfeiting the loser point would still have been the objectively correct call.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

You do realize that Hofer and Lindgren have virtually identical numbers this season right? And below, the bolded stats come from them playing for the Blues/Springfield that year - where a 21 year old Hofer had better playoff numbers and more playoff starts than your horse, Chuckie Sideburns.

Lindgren has 1 more year until he's a 31.5 year old UFA. At that point, Hofer will be about to turn 25 and still an RFA, meaning the team has so many more options to manage the cap and maintain player control...

Hofer 30gp 2.65 GAA, 0.914% 10.3 GSAA
23-24 30 NHL gp
22-23 6 NHL gp, 47 AHL gp
21-22 2 NHL gp, 39 AHL gp
21-22 AHL playoffs 10 gp 2.56 GAA, 0.934%

Lindgren 50 gp 2.67 GAA, 0.911% 10.5 GSAA
23-24 50 NHL gp
22-23 31 NHL gp
21-22 5 NHL gp, 34 AHL gp.
21-22 AHL playoffs 8gp 2.79 GAA, 0.914%

They're #15 & #16 in the following advanced stat rankings for this year if you really want to dig into some stats to see the difference between the two. But keeping the guy 7 years younger with team control and upside is a no-brainer compared to the 30 year old that has less pro games in the last 3 years than the 23 year old kid does unless there's a massive performance edge for the older player (Spoiler, there isn't)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad