Around the NHL 2023-2024

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Caps don’t have a shot on goal in 13 minutes of the third period while they’re trailing by 2. This is what it would’ve been like if the Blues had made the playoffs. Not enjoyable to watch at all.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
My first round picks.

DAL/VGK - DAL 6
COL/WPG - COL 7
VAN/NSH - NSH 6
EDM/LA - EDM 6

FLA/TBL - FLA 6
BOS/TOR - BOS 7
NYR/WSH - NYR 5
CAR/NYI - CAR 6

Second round
DAL/COL - DAL
EDM/NSH - EDM

FLA/BOS - FLA
NYR/CAR - NYR

Conference finals
DAL/EDM - DAL
NYR/FLA - FLA

Cup
DAL/FLA - DAL.

Will comment on this with game projections following the first round. FWIW, also my NHL bracket challenge prediction.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Joshua 2+1 6 shots 17:48 TOI.

Well done Army.

hitchcock-ken-150526-620.jpg

Its really shame we let him walk. Didn't see his potential.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't mind watching Dizzee's idiotic antics bite him, but I take no pleasure in seeing Charlie Lindgren lose. I wish the guy nothing but the best. That said, I predicted a series sweep and I'm sticking to it.

How will it bite him? It was the refs, or Oshie's fault or the wind inside the arena. Whatever happens, he's either right or he's right but for some lame excuse. We are engaging, talking about it, so he is winning in his mind. He's been wrong a billion times before, hasn't stopped his antics yet, or at least I assume not.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Monday's question: are we overrating the actual stat line and then-projected future potential of Dakota Joshua and what he "obviously" would have done here if put on the NHL roster for a full season, or is this a sign that the much-vaunted scouting staff, especially the pro scouting staff, isn't as good as everyone claims?

Personally, I'm taking Option #1. And then I'm taking Option #1 again, just for good measure.

Even if you somehow remember seeing this write up by someone on Reddit 3 years ago and think that was something everyone needed to follow, note that even that person thought he was realistically a fringe player. 42 games with the Blues, he was 4-5-9 and he walked as a Group 6 UFA. I don't recall a whole lot of angst from people, zomg we let Joshua walk? Morons, we're going to regret this. Did we underutilize him? Perhaps, but look at the roster in '21, '21-22 and tell me where you were going to play a 24, 25-year old kid just coming out of the AHL. It certainly wasn't going to be on the top-2 lines, would have been a struggle to put him on the 3rd line. He played where we had a spot, we weren't giving anyone a higher roster spot just on virtue of alleged, unproven talent.

I'm happy for the guy, hope he does well in the NHL, all that stuff, but I'm not losing any sleep over him not being here. Let's please not get back to the era where we start lamenting all the guys who were really ordinary here, left for somewhere else, started playing (a lot) better, and we spend years whining about them being gone pretending if we'd have kept them they'd have done the same things here.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Monday's question: are we overrating the actual stat line and then-projected future potential of Dakota Joshua and what he "obviously" would have done here if put on the NHL roster for a full season, or is this a sign that the much-vaunted scouting staff, especially the pro scouting staff, isn't as good as everyone claims?

Personally, I'm taking Option #1. And then I'm taking Option #1 again, just for good measure.

Even if you somehow remember seeing this write up by someone on Reddit 3 years ago and think that was something everyone needed to follow, note that even that person thought he was realistically a fringe player. 42 games with the Blues, he was 4-5-9 and he walked as a Group 6 UFA. I don't recall a whole lot of angst from people, zomg we let Joshua walk? Morons, we're going to regret this. Did we underutilize him? Perhaps, but look at the roster in '21, '21-22 and tell me where you were going to play a 24, 25-year old kid just coming out of the AHL. It certainly wasn't going to be on the top-2 lines, would have been a struggle to put him on the 3rd line. He played where we had a spot, we weren't giving anyone a higher roster spot just on virtue of alleged, unproven talent.

I'm happy for the guy, hope he does well in the NHL, all that stuff, but I'm not losing any sleep over him not being here. Let's please not get back to the era where we start lamenting all the guys who were really ordinary here, left for somewhere else, started playing (a lot) better, and we spend years whining about them being gone pretending if we'd have kept them they'd have done the same things here.
The bolded is such a bad faith argument because here’s what happens on this board: people use the same go-to lines to try to shut people up who make those claims. If someone complains that a bottom of the lineup player isn’t getting enough playing time, everyone says “well they’re not going to be a difference maker anyways so who cares.” Then people stop talking about it because nobody is willing to engage in convos about those players. And when that player then breaks out elsewhere, those same people say “WeLl I dIdN’t NoTiCe AnYoNe PrEdIcTiNg ThIs WoUlD hApPeN!!!”

No, it does happen. I remember expressing disappointment that we weren’t re-signing Joshua and I was told it didn’t matter because he’s just a 4th liner.

As for where we should have played him - well, that’s easy. He should have played the entire season on that 4th line. Kyle Clifford (remember him?) made the team over him out of camp, and then didn’t last long. Logan Brown (lol) played more games than him. Tyler Bozak was absolutely WASHED that season and providing absolutely nothing to the team, but we played him over Joshua because he was a veteran that the coach liked. Dumb move. I even talked about how much better he was than Toropchenko (and still is) during that season.

We could have given him more playing time over all those guys on the 4th line, because he was clearly the most effective 4th liner we had… And then allowed him to move up the lineup in the following seasons. It’s such a cop out excuse to say there was no room when we have continuously messed up with younger players in recent years. The Blues don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

I think it’s important to mention that in a few interviews here, he mentioned how he really needed a reality check, he had a wake up moment, which is one of the biggest reasons for his incredible season.

It’s not like he could do it for the blues, but he went through a ton of growth, having a guy like tochett really helped.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Who says we didn’t want to keep Joshua? He left as a UFA.

I honestly don’t know the answer as to if the Blues weren’t interested in bringing him back or he simply wanted to try his luck in a new org but just pointing out it takes two to tango.
Nope, even as UFA’s, Army is the only one who decides if they leave. Or so I’ve been led to believe.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Both Joshua and Lindgren were offered contracts, both players declined stating that they wanted to test free agency, both players bet on themselves and won.
ya im glad charlie is not having to deal with this shitshow here tbh. hes a winner and does not need to put up with nonsense from the kyrous and krugs of the world.

i feel bad for binner and sunny having to deal with it though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad