Around the NHL 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
So did anyone watch, or try to watch, the so called “skills” competition tonight??

Hoo boy that was AWFUL- completely unwatchable.

Words cannot accurately describe the train wreck that it was- yikes

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
It was ok.

The players aren't exactly the most outgoing people in the world so getting them to try to show some skill and personality is going to be a real tall task.

I liked that they tried to get the Miami and beach theme involved, it's just that these guys are so reserved that even PK couldn't liven it up. On the Splash and shoot event, I wish a player that lost would have just run up and hit the button and dunked the other guy anyway. Just show some kind of personality or emotion! These guys were just like, ok we won/lost can we go home now?.

It would have been better if they had just done an entire event all at once instead of jumping from one event to another round by round. Especially the breakaway competition event. It kind of lost its excitement when you only do one shooter every 20 minutes. The intro videos were cheesy, but that's what this weekend is for! The interview with PK in the middle was awkward while trying to bring out surprise guests/props.

From going to the skills competition when it was here, it was clear it was a whole lot of hurry up and wait between events. From tv commercials, setting up the nets/targets/signage, rounding up the players and getting them ready for their event, and the broadcast interviews it was actually kind of boring in person when the events weren't happening.

-----------------

It was good to see Juuuuuuse! Started off slow on the shooting part, but finally scored! He and Skinner were the only goalies to score.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I caught about 5 minutes on XM radio and it sounded like they were playing golf?? What was that, were they playing Gold Tee video or what?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Who the hell designed these jerseys. Dark in front and light on back for the “home” team makes it incredibly difficult to tell them apart.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Wild lose in regulation at Arizona last night. If we win tonight we will now be just two points behind them. For us to have any hope of making playoffs we will almost certainly have to finish ahead of them

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
ASGs have outlived their usefulness to fans. Even the Pro Bowl has changed formats.
I just cant watch the all-star games. It just isnt fun to me watching them play with zero passion or drive to win. Just a bunch of players aimlessly skating around attempting to make pretty passes and avoid all human contact and leaving the goalies to fend for themselves.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Blues just got a 1st from NYR for Tarasenko. (Basically, other lesser components involved).

They are gonna get another one for O'Reilly.

Dunno what it all means wrt us, but it's kind of interesting to watch. :dunno:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Blues are in a really interesting situation now. I thought they were the second best team in the West last season and expected them to be a dark horse contender again this year, but losing Perron and Husso alongside Binnington's poor play has made them take a big step back.

They're definitely entering a retool right now so I think they'll be an interesting team to compare ourselves to in that respect. They have two great young forwards in Kyrou and Thomas to build around, but their D corps is all getting is getting older and all have NTCs. Plus they're stuck with Binnington for four more years too. Not much of a prospect pool either although stockpiling some picks this year will definitely help jumpstart things again.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Blues just got a 1st from NYR for Tarasenko. (Basically, other lesser components involved).

They are gonna get another one for O'Reilly.

Dunno what it all means wrt us, but it's kind of interesting to watch. :dunno:
Seems really soft return for half off tarasenko imo. Still the caphit was 3.75M and they only had to take back an underwelming expiring contract. I guess its a decent deal since tarasenko is a pure rental. No way rangers can afford to extend him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Seems really soft return for half off tarasenko imo. Still the caphit was 3.75M and they only had to take back an underwelming expiring contract. I guess its a decent deal since tarasenko is a pure rental. No way rangers can afford to extend him.
Right, it's a pure rental, like O'Reilly will be, and probably a few others. That's where our situation is so different since any of our older guys still have term.

It's interesting though also in the sense that St.Louis is officially packing it in. They are not wrong to do so. We are only a few games ahead of them from being the same situation, alas.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Blues are going to bounce back from this same way Dallas did with the 2017 draft where they got Heiskanen, Oettinger and Robertson.

Meanwhile, we're stuck in the middle with no hope of contending or drafting some real talent.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Blues are going to bounce back from this same way Dallas did with the 2017 draft where they got Heiskanen, Oettinger and Robertson.

Meanwhile, we're stuck in the middle with no hope of contending or drafting some real talent.
Maybe but that still requires them to hit it out of the park on three straight draft picks. They just as easily could do something like the 2015 Bruins draft where they turn picks 13, 14, and 15 into Zboril, Debrusk, and Senyshyn.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

It's a valid option IMO.

In theory, though, since we still don't have expiring contracts on our guys, we're not quite in the same place. Maybe we would have been last year with Forsberg and Ekholm. But we weren't as bad. We can't get 1st rounders for Granlund or Joey or our guys with term left, you agree?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
It's a valid option IMO.

In theory, though, since we still don't have expiring contracts on our guys, we're not quite in the same place. Maybe we would have been last year with Forsberg and Ekholm. But we weren't as bad. We can't get 1st rounders for Granlund or Joey or our guys with term left, you agree?
I agree, but knowing when to take a step back is also an important part of building the team especially long-term.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The most tradeable assets that move the needle are Granlund and Niederreiter. They are paid around the average veteran contract and have lesser term as well. Don't know if any other GM sees them as key pieces.

Our big contracts just haven't played up to value this year. Josi would draw some interest, but no way Poile deals him.

Moving 4th liners and 3rd pairings is possible if somebody like a Dallas has a rash of injuries and needs some depth. But that's just shuffling the deck chairs unless we can get back some serious draft capital in a big overpayment. Maybe there is a huge Fabbro or Jeannot GM out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad