Around the NHL 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Just looked at the standing for the first time in a long time... the friggin Red Wings are 3 points out of a playoff spot with a bunch of games in hand. Guess their rebuild is just about over...

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

In February 2025, we can do this with Granlund, Johansen, and Saros. In fact, we can go on a nice stretch by doing it also in February 2026 with Duchene, Sissons, McDonagh, Lauzon, and Ekholm too. Wooo.

Well. If they are still any good by then.

Meanwhile, we are stuck.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
In February 2025, we can do this with Granlund, Johansen, and Saros. In fact, we can go on a nice stretch by doing it also in February 2026 with Duchene, Sissons, McDonagh, Lauzon, and Ekholm too. Wooo.

Well. If they are still any good by then.

Meanwhile, we are stuck.
We look to be in a similar bind to what Doug Wilson put the Sharks in. Wilson was known as being pretty cautious with his contracts and then decided he wanted a segment in "GMs Gone Wild!" on late night cable. Before he left with his health issues, he was still convinced he had a solid roster overall with a couple of holes to patch in free agency. (The new GM is still swinging a wrecking ball into it.)

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We look to be in a similar bind to what Doug Wilson put the Sharks in. Wilson was known as being pretty cautious with his contracts and then decided he wanted a segment in "GMs Gone Wild!" on late night cable. Before he left with his health issues, he was still convinced he had a solid roster overall with a couple of holes to patch in free agency. (The new GM is still swinging a wrecking ball into it.)
I don't even think Poile was necessarily wrong on the Players side of things... even today, I think our roster is good enough to make the playoffs. And if you're good enough to make the playoffs, sure, can't hurt to do so and see if you get lucky, while playing out that string to the contract expiries coming in 2025 and 2026.

But he completely messed up on the coaching front, taking a guy who had done a terrible job in his previous spot, who nobody else wanted and would have been out of the league had we not hired him. And then doubling down on that guy now when the mistake has become glaringly obvious.

So instead of having a mediocre team that is at least in the "playoff hot streak" lottery while waiting for those contracts to burn out, he is left with a sub-par non-playoff team that is truly in the worst of all possible situations.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I don't even think Poile was necessarily wrong on the Players side of things... even today, I think our roster is good enough to make the playoffs. And if you're good enough to make the playoffs, sure, can't hurt to do so and see if you get lucky, while playing out that string to the contract expiries coming in 2025 and 2026.

But he completely messed up on the coaching front, taking a guy who had done a terrible job in his previous spot, who nobody else wanted and would have been out of the league had we not hired him. And then doubling down on that guy now when the mistake has become glaringly obvious.

So instead of having a mediocre team that is at least in the "playoff hot streak" lottery while waiting for those contracts to burn out, he is left with a sub-par non-playoff team that is truly in the worst of all possible situations.
Yep. I agree that on paper, we have some talent in-house. On paper we made moves to address some weak areas, etc.

It's the plan that is the problem. The identity. Bigger, slower, goon squad is not today's game. Teams with speed and skill all up and down the lineup or that build around a generational talent are the teams that are ahead. Leading the league in hits, fights, and penalties just puts you slightly ahead of the 6-10 franchises that aren't even trying to compete.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
High-IQ GM doing high-IQ things.

Meanwhile in Nashville..
If Poile could send Tomasino and Novak down for about 4 more off-days, he'd have had enough money to buy that 4th round pick Minnesota bought, anyway.

He doesn't even have an option to do things like the Blues have done, though.

I think Minnesota is actually a pretty good team for us to look at. They really bit a huge bullet buying out Parise and Suter. They're going to let Dumba walk off their blueline in the summer, or trade him in the next couple weeks. All while still hanging around as Wildcard playoff wannabe like us. We could do similar things. Our buyouts wouldn't hurt nearly as much as Parise and Suter. If the organization was willing to take that approach.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I mean....

Theyve played 2 more games then us
We dont have a tarsenko or ror to sell
Otherwise solid comparison.

We will see where the teams end up after the sell offs. It was a solid move for stl though just dont see why the nashville comparison is necessary.
Yeah, I admit the comparison between the two teams is off. But the point remains. The Blues did that same reload when they missed the playoffs in 2018, and where did they end up?

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
If Poile could send Tomasino and Novak down for about 4 more off-days, he'd have had enough money to buy that 4th round pick Minnesota bought, anyway.

He doesn't even have an option to do things like the Blues have done, though.

I think Minnesota is actually a pretty good team for us to look at. They really bit a huge bullet buying out Parise and Suter. They're going to let Dumba walk off their blueline in the summer, or trade him in the next couple weeks. All while still hanging around as Wildcard playoff wannabe like us. We could do similar things. Our buyouts wouldn't hurt nearly as much as Parise and Suter. If the organization was willing to take that approach.
The Wild can afford to do this because their fanbase understands what is happening and is willing to continue attending games. That is not the case here.
St. Louis traded away guys on expiring contracts and have younger players already making an impact in their lineup.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah, I admit the comparison between the two teams is off. But the point remains. The Blues did that same reload when they missed the playoffs in 2018, and where did they end up?
I think its time to reload here but its gonna be difficult because we dont have any valuable ufas and the pieces with value are mostly ones we would want to keep

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The Wild can afford to do this because their fanbase understands what is happening and is willing to continue attending games. That is not the case here.
St. Louis traded away guys on expiring contracts and have younger players already making an impact in their lineup.
I think it's partly that, but it's also a willingness to just burn the money. *IF* you believe (as I do) that we have players in house who can already replace Granlund and Johansen, say... then there's no reason we couldn't jettison them and roll with Parssinen/Glass/Novak/Tomasino instead. And the team wouldn't get any worse. And the fans wouldn't need to go away. Parise and Suter weren't good, but weren't completely washed either... they were just massively overpaid, and on top of that their buyout hits were insane relative to our guys. But as with our guys, they were easily replaceable, and the team in the end didn't even suffer from losing them.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
A Duchene buyout comes with a 5.5 and 6.5 mil hit season in years 2 and 3 due to his contract structure. A Joey buyout puts another $2.67mil of dead cap for four years concurrent with the $2mil we already send to Turris every season ... almost a Granny level hit of dead space for four years.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Dallas and Montreal also had fluke runs to the Finals recently.

Because of NHL parity, it’s not THAT uncommon. Making the playoffs is the ticket to that lottery.

Not as good as just going in through the front door like Tampa or Colorado or Boston. But still a whole lot better than being 22nd and picking #11.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Dallas and Montreal also had fluke runs to the Finals recently.

Because of NHL parity, it’s not THAT uncommon. Making the playoffs is the ticket to that lottery.

Not as good as just going in through the front door like Tampa or Colorado or Boston. But still a whole lot better than being 22nd and picking #11.
The last Presidents Trophy winner to win the Cup was in 2013. Get in to the post season playing well, relatively healthy, then stay healthy (huge issue for the Preds in 2017) ... a mid or low seed can make that run.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
The Stadium Series game yesterday was darn near perfect. Great weather, lots of tailgating, good production. They had the NC State band, dance team and cheerleaders participating. The band did the stoppage and tv timeout music. So much better than the country wannabes we had year. The only snafu was the traffic. Apparently, despite having years to plan, there was no traffic control plan. It was ridiculous. Hat tip to the Canes fans for a good show.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Reached limit here, too. Going to close this one and start another. With The trade deadline around the corner, this thread will pick up steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad