Around the NHL 2021-22

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think I would be ready for a re-tool like Anaheim did just now. They made the playoffs in 2018, drafted 9th in 2019, 6th in 2020 and 3rd in 2021. They are not done with their re-tool, but look much better and their prospect pool is loaded.

I think what made Anaheim different from the arizonas and buffalos was that they kept the "Guardians" of the re-tool around, guys like Getzlaf, Henrique, Silfverberg and most of their D core. Those players made sure it never got to the situation where they were laughable.

It was a rather quick turnaround and Anaheim will be a strong team in the future. Executing a re-tool/rebuild will always be risky but you can minimize the risks by doing it the way Anaheim did. I never believe in the scorched earth type of rebuild.
Outside of Anaheim having been a worse team to begin with and already falling into the lower end of the standings, this isn't much different than what the Preds have done. Of the remaining vets, Johansen and Duchene are mostly immovable, Josi isn't moving, Granlund/Ekholm just signed new contracts (so aren't being traded...most would probably agree they are the good type of vets to keep around for a rebuild anyway), and the rest aren't going to get us much in return (and are unlikely to propel us much further into the bottom 5). Outside Forsberg, how much more can we meaningfully sell?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Guess it depends on what you view as a high pick. Top 10 is a high pick to me. As I stated earlier, the difference between where we are and 24th is negligible looking at points%. So it’s easy to see us falling anywhere from bubble to 24th. Don’t think we would fall lower unless we go on a really bad losing streak.

Our last 10 games points % is 9th in conference and we are 2-3-0 in the last 5 games. Both those trends a will lead us to out of the playoffs.

Edit: top 10 picks by Nashville since 2000
2000 - #6 hartnell
2002 - #6 upshall
2003 - #7 suter
2008 - #7 Wilson
2013 - #3 Jones

The goalposts move less at Chuck E Cheese than in your posts.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
True, but I think it's pretty evident who's the better team going forward.

Like I said in the first post, by no means is Anaheim done, they are just now graduating their 2019 and 2020 picks to their roster.

Meanwhile the Preds still have their entire 2018-21 draft classes looking to even crack the NHL roster while the Ducks #3, 6, and 9 overalls from the past three draft classes have played in the NHL, two of them as regulars. Of course, if early draft picks guaranteed success then the Oilers would have 7 Cups in the last ten years or so. Who of the Preds or Ducks recent draft classes pans out and reaches their potential is a great unknown no matter how much our own fanbase projects failures on our picks and amazing glory on the comparison d'jour.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Outside of Anaheim having been a worse team to begin with and already falling into the lower end of the standings, this isn't much different than what the Preds have done. Of the remaining vets, Johansen and Duchene are mostly immovable, Josi isn't moving, Granlund/Ekholm just signed new contracts (so aren't being traded...most would probably agree they are the good type of vets to keep around for a rebuild anyway), and the rest aren't going to get us much in return (and are unlikely to propel us much further into the bottom 5). Outside Forsberg, how much more can we meaningfully sell?
Joey and Duchene are living up to the contracts. I don’t think we could move Joey without throwing Novak or glass to the wolves as the 2C. Granlund is proving to be a great contract (which I admittedly didn’t like at the time of signing). Josi isn’t moving. Ekholm could maybe be moved but I doubt it since it sends the wrong signal to others. Forsberg, cousins, Grimaldi, boroweicki, benning, and Rittich could be traded and only Forsberg has long term ramifications

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Meanwhile the Preds still have their entire 2018-21 draft classes looking to even crack the NHL roster while the Ducks #3, 6, and 9 overalls from the past three draft classes have played in the NHL, two of them as regulars. Of course, if early draft picks guaranteed success then the Oilers would have 7 Cups in the last ten years or so. Who of the Preds or Ducks recent draft classes pans out and reaches their potential is a great unknown no matter how much our own fanbase projects failures on our picks and amazing glory on the comparison d'jour.

So, what, are you denying the fact that the Ducks are trending upwards? Of course, their strategy doesn't guarantee any success but neither does any strategy in hockey. I'm just saying that I believe they did it the right way. They never sunk to the levels of Buffalo or Arizona and after couple of years, they are looking competitive.

Also, the first sentence you said; let me put this way - which draft classes from 2019 to 2021 would you choose, ours or the Ducks? It is irrelevant whether the players have actually played at this point in the NHL, it's not like the Ducks prospects have reached their ceiling at this point, neither have the Preds prospects for that matter.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
So, what, are you denying the fact that the Ducks are trending upwards? Of course, their strategy doesn't guarantee any success but neither does any strategy in hockey. I'm just saying that I believe they did it the right way. They never sunk to the levels of Buffalo or Arizona and after couple of years, they are looking competitive.

Also, the first sentence you said; let me put this way - which draft classes from 2019 to 2021 would you choose, ours or the Ducks? It is irrelevant whether the players have actually played at this point in the NHL, it's not like the Ducks prospects have reached their ceiling at this point, neither have the Preds prospects for that matter.

There is a difference between "trending upwards" and a definitive call of "better team moving forward" comparatively to the Preds. The Ducks were a team that were 27th and 30th in points over the past two seasons ... getting them those top six picks that are already playing NHL games. They've been pressed into pushing their 1st round picks into immediate service over the past several seasons. We not only are developing our picks, we're trading for other high draft choices and taking the time to develop them.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
There is a difference between "trending upwards" and a definitive call of "better team moving forward" comparatively to the Preds. The Ducks were a team that were 27th and 30th in points over the past two seasons ... getting them those top six picks that are already playing NHL games. They've been pressed into pushing their 1st round picks into immediate service over the past several seasons. We not only are developing our picks, we're trading for other high draft choices and taking the time to develop them.

I wouldn't call Anaheim's development rushing. Terry, Lundeström, Comtois, Zegras have all been brought in patiently, and they are reaping the rewards as we speak.

We have also been patient with the prospects, that is true but for impact makers in terms of offensive prospects, the results have so far been weak.

Time will tell on which direction both of these teams will take but to me it's pretty clear who's the team of the future and who's the team of the present.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The biggest differences are first that 2018 draft class. Anaheim had one and, to be honest, it looks like we would be extremely fortunate to get anything out of ours at this point. Anaheim has, of course, had higher picks in recent years and has played more of those picks to date, while we have Svechkov, L'Heureux, Evangelista, and Afanasyev still marinating. Finally, there is Askarov. There are no guarantees, but he certainly has some serious hype behind him. Having a shutdown goalie is something that can make a bad team look decent and an above average team a Cup contender. Anaheim can ride Gibson a few more years, but I'd say we have the better pipeline in goal with Juuse, Ingram, and Askarov.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I wouldn't call Anaheim's development rushing. Terry, Lundeström, Comtois, Zegras have all been brought in patiently, and they are reaping the rewards as we speak.

We have also been patient with the prospects, that is true but for impact makers in terms of offensive prospects, the results have so far been weak.

Time will tell on which direction both of these teams will take but to me it's pretty clear who's the team of the future and who's the team of the present.

So far the Preds are skipping the completely suck, be in the bottom 5 in the league, draft in the top 6 twice model of the Ducks. The Ducks draft depth is currently playing in the NHL ... the Preds aren't beyond Tomasino.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
So far the Preds are skipping the completely suck, be in the bottom 5 in the league, draft in the top 6 twice model of the Ducks. The Ducks draft depth is currently playing in the NHL ... the Preds aren't beyond Tomasino.

Yeah, we aren't sinking as low as the Ducks did, but we also aren't getting as good picks as the Ducks are.

I am not sure what we are arguing about anymore, but if you seriously think that our prospect pool is better than Anaheim's then I don't know what to say.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Yeah, we aren't sinking as low as the Ducks did, but we also aren't getting as good picks as the Ducks are.

I am not sure what we are arguing about anymore, but if you seriously think that our prospect pool is better than Anaheim's then I don't know what to say.

Your assertion that the Ducks never got to the point it was laughable with their 27th and 31st place finishes and that their pool is so deep when their top picks were pressed into immediate service rather than going into said pool. Even McTavish saw nine NHL games this season after both Drysdale and Zegras were pushed into early service.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

we might have a few more by the end of the year if we end up trading some of the depth (cousins, boro, benning, etc). But I think we’d end up with McCarron, harpur, and Myers filling the holes while the guys like glass and afanasyev marinate in the ahl. I’d like to see them get a couple games in at the end of the season just so they can get an idea of what they need to work on over the summer

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Your assertion that the Ducks never got to the point it was laughable with their 27th and 31st place finishes and that their pool is so deep when their top picks were pressed into immediate service rather than going into said pool. Even McTavish saw nine NHL games this season after both Drysdale and Zegras were pushed into early service.

Laughable, but nonetheless they turned it around pretty quick. Which is what you need to do when you rebuild. You can't get stuck into the cellar, and that is why it's good to have those veterans there to oversee the transition.

So, the fact that their top prospects got some games in, is it an indication of their team or the level of the prospects? Zegras and Drysdale definitely look like they belong, hell even MacTavish had his moments.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yall act like Anaheim did it all as some great plan, they really didn't. They literally aged out because they didn't have enough young talent to fill the void. The only reason they have some of those Vets is because they chose to be there and in the case of a guy like Getzlaf actually had to fight to stay.

They literally fell apart overnight. Just like with Chicago we essentially ended whatever last gasp they had. None of this was planned.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yall act like Anaheim did it all as some great plan, they really didn't. They literally aged out because they didn't have enough young talent to fill the void. The only reason they have some of those Vets is because they chose to be there and in the case of a guy like Getzlaf actually had to fight to stay.

They literally fell apart overnight. Just like with Chicago we essentially ended whatever last gasp they had. None of this was planned.
Yeah, they had a ton of injuries that first year they missed the playoffs too. Guys like Kesler and Perry evaporated long before they expected. It was by no means a "controlled descent".

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Yeah, they had a ton of injuries that first year they missed the playoffs too. Guys like Kesler and Perry evaporated long before they expected. It was by no means a "controlled descent".
And it darn sure wasn't a "blow it up" type thing where the Granlunds and Ekholms of the world were all traded for futures like people want around here. That type of plan turns out to be Buffalo, Arizona, or Edmonton because it's not a real plan, it's a last ditch hope and prayer for people that don't know what they're doing.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Laughable, but nonetheless they turned it around pretty quick. Which is what you need to do when you rebuild. You can't get stuck into the cellar, and that is why it's good to have those veterans there to oversee the transition.

So, the fact that their top prospects got some games in, is it an indication of their team or the level of the prospects? Zegras and Drysdale definitely look like they belong, hell even MacTavish had his moments.

What is laughable is how you keep having to redefine things to pretend that Anaheim didn't completely tank for two years and then have to put the resulting draft choices into immediate full time NHL play .. not "got some games in." Yes, Anaheim did turn things around after about three crap seasons and not the decade plus suck of Edmonton and Ottawa. The depth of their pool is not what you portray due to them skimming the cream off immediately so it isn't in said pool.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
A little off topic, but I was talking to my Dad about various sports opinions from his school days (late 60's), namely about who the consensus "Greatest player ever" was in each sport at the time and a little bit about Crispy's retirement. This was in the days when the "original" expansion happened in '67, he was telling me that in Philadelphia at the time, if you went up to a group of middle/high school kids and asked who the greatest hockey player was, they probably would NOT have said Gordie Howe, they would have looked at you with a perplexed look because hockey was almost totally unknown there at the time. He said that the first few years that the Flyers were there, they would send buses around town and into the suburbs, they would roll up to schools and churches and ask who wants to see a hockey game, then they'd take a bus full of folks to watch the Flyers for free, just to get the stadium filled and expose people to the sport.

Anyway, not only had I not known that and thought it was pretty amazing, But I also though about the grief that this market used to get in our expansion days about not knowing the sport and how the Preds had to give away tickets and whatnot. Just goes to show that, sometimes the things we deal with online have to be put into perspective, a lot of the detractors we faced on message boards and social media were probably much too young to realize that their market was once in the same boat that our market was in.

On that topic, it's also funny to me that fanbases like Philly and Pittsburgh were ragging on us as the noobies in the league because they were firmly entrenched at that point. But those franchises were 31 years old at that point, a number that the Preds will be at before you know it.

Just a couple of interesting thoughts and stories to pass along.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Looks like Scott Walker will be an assistant to Bruce Boudreau in Vancouver.

Canucks finally cleaned house apparently

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
And holy crap just noticed the Isles havent won a game in a MONTH. And still no win in their new arena. You watch... we will be the first...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad