Around the NHL 2021-22

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Yeah, really does look like he priced himself out of any deals if the leak about the Calgary deal is accurate. Seriously, why a first and a third? Just get a damn pick! If you can get a second from 10 teams to pick a certain player that is still a shit ton of picks and draft capital to throw around. Just like complete negligence to come away with nothing put the 30 players...
Horrific

passed on quite a few legit great players as well.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah, really does look like he priced himself out of any deals if the leak about the Calgary deal is accurate. Seriously, why a first and a third? Just get a damn pick! If you can get a second from 10 teams to pick a certain player that is still a shit ton of picks and draft capital to throw around. Just like complete negligence to come away with nothing put the 30 players...
That's basically how Vegas was able to stay good after the first year. They leveraged all those picks and prospects for other players. Seattle is basically worse than us with none of the capital to go with it.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I know the other GMs were more prepared this time by timing contracts to leave players as UFA instead of under contract, managing ELCs, and finding trading partners before the ED but NOTHING to show for all that leverage? And passing up on good players just because the contracts are to expensive? Good players have to be paid.....wtf?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I know the other GMs were more prepared this time by timing contracts to leave players as UFA instead of under contract, managing ELCs, and finding trading partners before the ED but NOTHING to show for all that leverage? And passing up on good players just because the contracts are to expensive? Good players have to be paid.....wtf?
I think he just got outplayed. He showed his hand too much. GM's figured out he was going cheap and that's one reason why so many big contracts were exposed. Had he played it right he could have taken most of those same plays and gotten a 3rd rounder at least to boot. Instead he got a decent Dcorp, hopeful but unproven goalies and a forward core that is just rough.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I can't understand why people can't seem to get that even if Weber retires and the NHL does make us deal with the recapture that we are ok. We had enough cap space before we traded Arvy and Ellis :facepalm:

I’m not sure which is worse. Those takes or the ones that think we should trade major assets for his rights.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I can't understand why people can't seem to get that even if Weber retires and the NHL does make us deal with the recapture that we are ok. We had enough cap space before we traded Arvy and Ellis :facepalm:
It's more fun for them to fantasize about us selling them the farm to them than to just admit there's really no need for us to do that.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Yeah if he retires now the hit gets spread over 5 years I believe. But I still am waiting for a good explanation of why he would be expected to retire and forfeit millions of dollars instead of going on LTIR

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Yeah if he retires now the hit gets spread over 5 years I believe. But I still am waiting for a good explanation of why he would be expected to retire and forfeit millions of dollars instead of going on LTIR

It's just Montreal fans hoping that he retires so they have more cap flexibility in the off-season. Apparently the Preds should deal with the consequences of their decisions, but the Canadiens shouldn't.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It's just Montreal fans hoping that he retires so they have more cap flexibility in the off-season. Apparently the Preds should deal with the consequences of their decisions, but the Canadiens shouldn't.

But what difference is there? Dont they get the same cap relief for LTIR that they would if he retired?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
But what difference is there? Dont they get the same cap relief for LTIR that they would if he retired?

Teams can exceed the cap by 10% during the offseason. So Weber alone would be okay, but they also have Carey Price probably on LTIR. So because the cap is $81.5M for the next couple of years, teams can carry a total payroll of $89.65M. But if they have $18.36 tied up in LTIR for Weber and Price, they can effectively only sign players worth a total of $71.29M during the offseason and would need to wait until the season begins and LTIR is removed from the cap before being able to utilize that last $9.21M.

Their hope is that Weber outright retires so they can close that gap down to $1.35M

Maybe it's actually Preds fans who should be trolling their board with ridiculous notions of Poile bending over Bergeron in a deal to bring Weber back :devdance:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Teams can exceed the cap by 10% during the offseason. So Weber alone would be okay, but they also have Carey Price probably on LTIR. So because the cap is $81.5M for the next couple of years, teams can carry a total payroll of $89.65M. But if they have $18.36 tied up in LTIR for Weber and Price, they can effectively only sign players worth a total of $71.29M during the offseason and would need to wait until the season begins and LTIR is removed from the cap before being able to utilize that last $9.21M.

Their hope is that Weber outright retires so they can close that gap down to $1.35M

Maybe it's actually Preds fans who should be trolling their board with ridiculous notions of Poile bending over Bergeron in a deal to bring Weber back :devdance:
Wouldn't that be a turn of events. :laugh:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
At this point, relatively speaking, it's not even that many millions. Only 12. (I know, I know...but we're talking about player salaries here, not MINE)
I know it's $6million this year and it dropped to I think 3m next year and $1m the next three years. Total, though, was $12m. Sure, he's going to count every penny as his rightfully negotiated money but after the coming year it's really a drop in the bucket for him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
At this point, relatively speaking, it's not even that many millions. Only 12. (I know, I know...but we're talking about player salaries here, not MINE)
I know it's $6million this year and it dropped to I think 3m next year and $1m the next three years. Total, though, was $12m. Sure, he's going to count every penny as his rightfully negotiated money but after the coming year it's really a drop in the bucket for him.
Maybe so, but there is zero reason to leave millions of dollars on the table when there is no reason too.

I get that Luongo did, but I always got the feeling that was as much out of spite for the way Vancouver handled him as anything else. I'm sure Weber wasn't happy, but Poile didn't jerk him around for multiple years either, he just traded him.

2nd Round Sleeper

Jul 21, 2021
So just to update on the craziness of the last couple of days for Philly

Ship Ghost out to Arizona along with a 2nd and a 7th for nothing. Then today sent their first and a 3rd next year plus Hagg to Buffalo for Ristolanen.

I mean I really have no idea what they’re thinking lol

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Maybe Poile should have waited on Ellis. Philly just gave up #13 OA +2023 2nd + Hagg for Ristoleinen.
It's hard to say for sure that there would have been more value after the draft. Or if those specific players would have been available, we'll never know if Philly was going to be expose one or both of the players Poile got.

Jul 12, 2007
Maybe Poile should have waited on Ellis. Philly just gave up #13 OA +2023 2nd + Hagg for Ristoleinen.
You can’t not pull the trigger on a good deal, in case something happens sometime in the future. Unless Poile knew that everybody in Philly is totally demented from syphillis or lead poisoning. Then maybe he pumps a little longer to get everything they’re giving away.
Those guys are gonna be remembered for these last 3 deals, like Matt Millen is remembered, or the fool who traded for Herschel Walker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad