The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2021-1-27_16-20-31.png

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Pittsburgh GM Jim Rutherford resigns. Hhhinteresting.
I just came to post this.

Here's the full story: Rutherford resigns as Penguins GM because of personal reasons

(now let's poach Coach Sully on a tryout offer hahaha) & trade 'em Blash & Bylsma.

@FabricDetails
EDIT: I just read that it was a dispute with ownership over JR wanting to trade Letang in year 7 of 8yr deal...Great move for the franchise, but instead owners want Letang to retire a Pen if he wants to.

Last edited:

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
They shouldn't have signed EK, but instead traded his rights after their playoffs finished. It could be argued they shouldn't have traded for him either. That team is in an unenviable position, had to gut their depth (Nyquist, Donskooi) etc., they need to start selling 30+ yr. old vets while they have value or it'll be a very long, painful rebuild (hello Wings). Their prospect system is very weak. Still wonder about poaching Chmelevski somehow.
It was a weird trade - not so much the value given Karlsson's career to that point, but more the fact that they had Burns already as a right sided defensively suspect, offensively elite back end roamer - SJS were probably the team that needed Karlsson the least

Reactions: MBH and Winger98

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It was a weird trade - not so much the value given Karlsson's career to that point, but more the fact that they had Burns already as a right sided defensively suspect, offensively elite back end roamer - SJS were probably the team that needed Karlsson the least
Exactly. Doug Wilson thought he'd "corner the market" on such a valuable piece, not seeing and/or denying the redundancy (to a degree), but also 2x the suspect Dzone coverage while Vlasic simultaneously regressed & ages. He went from premier shut down 1st pair Dman to slow, old & expensive really quickly. Probably the high mileage.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I guess in the back of my mind, I just always assumed Holland was going to be able to do something with the gimme that is starting with the two best players in the league. He has not in the past, and it looks like he still isn't. They're letting in more goals than they score, and they score a lot. They should be much, much better.

His later Detroit years combined with these Edmonton years... yikes. He might be spoiling his legacy if he hasn't already.

Reactions: RayMoonDoh

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Seriously. If anything just to get his ass off the TV.

He have experience? I forget.
Yes, Bowman discovered him etc. It's in the article (I can see you didn't read the assigned clickbait "homework" :laugh::D)

"McGuire was discovered by Scotty Bowman when McGuire was coaching at St. Lawrence University. When Bowman was promoted to interim head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1991, he brought McGuire on as an assistant coach. In fact, McGuire won the 1992 Stanley Cup as the assistant coach. He has also served as the head coach of the Hartford Whalers and as an assistant coach for the Ottawa Senators. He's served in every imaginable capacity, but he's most known for his broadcasting career. He began doing radio and television in 1997..."

(grammar N&zi/Pedantic: Quirky not "querky")

"Although McGuire is said to be a querky individual, his hockey knowledge is second to none. He can tell you what Sidney Crosby had for breakfast on September 26th, 1996 (probably). His knowledge and experience has brought him to the forefront as the candidate to be the next General Manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins. It's noteworthy that he interviewed for the job in 2014 and was very close to getting the job."

"
Who Are The Other Candidates?

1. Pat Brisson
He is Sidney Crosby's agent and personal friend of Mario Lemieux
2. Marc Bergevin
He is the current GM of the Montreal Canadiens. There is one year left on his contract and the rumor is the Canadiens are prepared to move on from Bergevin.
3. Jason Botterill
He was Rutherford's right hand man during the 2016 and 2017 Stanley Cup wins in Pittsburgh. He recently look an assistant GM job with the Seattle Kraken, but could certainly accept a superior role with another team.
4. Ron Hextall
"Hacky" Hextall is a former NHL goaltender and GM of the Philadelphia Flyers. He was fired because his rebuild was "taking too long", but his regime drafted their top prospects. The LA Kings advisor is very much in the conversation.
5. Kevin Weekes
Weekes is a longtime NHL goaltender and has enjoyed a successful broadcasting career since 2009. He interviewed for the Florida Panther's GM opening last year. He will surely be interviewed for the Penguins job.
6. Chris Drury
He was a sensational NHL'er and is currently employed in the New York Rangers' front office. This guy will be a general manager at some point in time, whether or not the Penguins take him on this time around.
7. Scott Mellanby
He was in the running for the Florida Panthers job over the summer, perhaps because of his long career there as a player. He's the assistant GM with the Montreal Canadiens under Marc Bergevin.
"

Reactions: FabricDetails

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I guess in the back of my mind, I just always assumed Holland was going to be able to do something with the gimme that is starting with the two best players in the league. He has not in the past, and it looks like he still isn't. They're letting in more goals than they score, and they score a lot. They should be much, much better.

His later Detroit years combined with these Edmonton years... yikes. He might be spoiling his legacy if he hasn't already.
I'm giving Holland another year as they have 11 UFA's next year and should be able to clear up $$$$ & get some more talent in. At least I hope for the Oilers sake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad