drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Jets - Didn't sell out
Flames - Didn't sell out
Canucks - Didn't sell out
Canadiens - Didn't sell out

A banner night for Canada.

Winnipeg is interesting- now that the new has worn off and they may be in for a down stretch, will be interesting to see how their support is and how much it declines.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Finally saw the Avs in action tonight, for all the talk about them as a Cup contender, they still look like a one line team and just lost to a depleted Penguins roster. Pens didn't even get help from the refs, the winner was a SHG in OT when Landeskog mishandled the puck in his own crease.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You know, I remember Ken Campbell writing articles in The Hockey News about southern hockey team attendance issues. His stance was almost always that we were terrible markets and basically should be moved to Canada or somewhere else more traditional.
He seems to be treating this episode as indicative of a national crisis or something like that. So at least he's (semi-)consistent.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
What is known is that Winnipeg has failed before. It is also known that Montreal is ALWAYS sold out. You can’t buy tickets there. There are season ticket holders who only attend from time to time hence empty seats but sold seats.
Games against Origonal 6 are like national holidays but when Arizona (for example only) visits, there will be empty, sold sears in Montreal.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Thanks, but the media is always poking at Montreal. If Montreal had 50,000 seats, they’d sell 50,000 season tickets. Fans there have been on waiting lists for years and years and folks leave their season tickets to heirs in their wills.
I couldn’t get the article to come up but I’ll bet they were referencing game day requirements of the NHL, resells on various sites and/or standing room only tickets.
Anyway, there just isn’t a market like that one; they’re crazy up there.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Thanks, but the media is always poking at Montreal. If Montreal had 50,000 seats, they’d sell 50,000 season tickets. Fans there have been on waiting lists for years and years and folks leave their season tickets to heirs in their wills.
I couldn’t get the article to come up but I’ll bet they were referencing game day requirements of the NHL, resells on various sites and/or standing room only tickets.

You admitted to not reading the article, then proceeded to make assumptions about its content.

The very simple fact is that the Canadiens did not have a sellout. PERIOD. In fact, they were about 900 short for this game ... their sellout streak ended season.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Hey, 101. Finally found the article and I stand corrected. I would go on to say that attendance of 20,406 out of capacity of 21,302(896 shy) is kinda good but not a sell out.
Montreal does sell all season tickets they have available with a waiting list of years but this game wasn’t a sellout.
Course there were also major storms leaving up to 106,000 w/o electricity and dangerous winds in the area but, hey, they’ve had those before.
Sorry

before.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
There isn’t much to do in Winnipeg but they had a blizzard on the 11th that caused some major power outages. And it was Thanksgiving weekend. It was probably the game day tickets that didn’t sell.

Reactions: triggrman

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
There isn’t much to do in Winnipeg but they had a blizzard on the 11th that caused some major power outages. And it was Thanksgiving weekend. It was probably the game day tickets that didn’t sell.
Very valid excuse

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
If you want some pretty good entertainment go to Michael Russo’s twitter feed and especially the comments- Fiala is getting absolutely destroyed- Wild fans absolutely cannot stand him

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I kind of think though that he is getting the hate over the trade poured on him and it's not just his play.

Kind of feel bad for Fiala in that sense. Unless he is PPG they will never be happy with him.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I kind of think though that he is getting the hate over the trade poured on him and it's not just his play.

Kind of feel bad for Fiala in that sense. Unless he is PPG they will never be happy with him.
This may turn into an interesting test for Fiala this season. I feel like here, he was kept in Milwaukee maybe a little longer than he would have liked, ostensibly so that he could learn to play a more team-oriented game and improve on some of his tendencies, except he never really did - he just got too good to stay in the AHL any longer and we needed that 2nd line scoring that it was projected he could provide. And subsequently he never changed his game here either. We got on him a little bit, but nothing really major, and I didn't really get the sense he was given any ultimatums by the coaching staff either. There's only so much you ask of a kid still on his ELC, after all.

Whereas in Minnesota now, he might be facing a much tougher go of things. Fans, coach, contract... it's all piling up on him. Is this where he is finally facing significant pressure to fix those parts of his game that need fixing? Will he actually buy in to that? Or will he just feel unappreciated, resentful, and in a matter of a few years be sulking his way to an overseas career outside the NHL? That would be a shame. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad