Around the NHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
After watching all of this hockey I realize just how okayish our goaltending was.
It is very easy to have tunnel vision when night in night out all you see is two to four teams. We have been blessed with top tier tending for a long time and it deadens the importance as well. Pekka still has periods of the old Pekka but his time is up he can not be relied upon to carry this team like he did for a number of years. Saro's has been given his chance most of this year and a good portion of last year. His 2.62 and 2.70 GPG in the regular season will not cut it, follow that up with 3.22 against the Yotes. Now some will no doubt point out his .914 and .915 as encouraging the fact remains that he faced a lot of shots and his GPG allowed does not match up with the save percentage. If the team in front of you continues to allow this elevated number of shots you had better be at .925 or higher to win in a league that where the GPG has passed 3.0 average.

I am still of the opinion he could have been the replacement for Pekka if he had been allowed to stay in the AHL until he was 24 instead of sitting behi9nd Rinne getting just 47 hand picked starts in 16-17 and 17-18 then more than half the season of 18-19 he had limited starts as well until Pekka started to falter. They had to give him a shot to prove hisself at the point and and he is not strong enough to do the starting job. His pace for each of the last two years has been 30 to 34 wins for a full season. If this season had not been shortened he would have had close to 60 starts and between 27 and 30 wins. Not even close enough to make the post season. Even at 21-5 Ingram needs another year before he deserves to compete for a starting spot as well. The thing is the Preds have little choice. From my perspective there are two scenarios. 1 Pekka retires and Ingram comes into camp and starts the season with Saros and eventually wins his chance to see if he can be the man. 2 Pekka rides out his last year Saros is beaten out in camp and Ingram ends up the starter 20 games in. Both are risky chances but then again the mess the team is in overall I am not seeing a shot at post season without a very unpopular trade.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Tampa HAD to win that series this time or it would have been a disaster for them.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The Coyotes are doing so poorly I wonder if we would have done better against the Avs
We've always played Colorado better than Arizona.

I'll be honest though Colorado isn't doing anything we weren't, the main difference is the last 2 games Kuemper hasn't stood on his head and Colorado's top line is eating them up.

Longer this goes on the more disappointed I am with Saros.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
We've always played Colorado better than Arizona.

I'll be honest though Colorado isn't doing anything we weren't, the main difference is the last 2 games Kuemper hasn't stood on his head and Colorado's top line is eating them up.

Longer this goes on the more disappointed I am with Saros.

Saros literally always starts slow and gets better as the season goes by. We should have known not playing in real games for 5 months would mean we get the bad Saros.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Saros literally always starts slow and gets better as the season goes by. We should have known not playing in real games for 5 months would mean we get the bad Saros.
Well and he wasn't bad, he just wasn't the level you need in the playoffs. He was in more mid November good.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I guess I think of it this way. When I was coming to the Preds as my "happy place" team for all those horrible years with the Jackets, what attracted me was the team buy-in and commitment to defense. It was clear that everybody was in it together and coordinating together (even if execution occasionally slipped), and that's what I found wonderful and reassuring and fascinating.

Now my Jackets are the ones doing that, and the Preds are the ones playing like a haphazard collection of individuals. The reversal is shocking and bizarre to me.

I really do think the Preds need to get back to that buy-in. We do not nor will we ever have the offensive talent to "just outskill" people, and even if we did that wouldn't get us anywhere - Tampa Bay had to learn otherwise and that's why they get to move on this year instead of being a legendary embarrassment. I feel like Lavi allowed that cohesiveness to lapse and it's cost us dearly.

Is Hynes going to fix that? I don't know. I know little or nothing about him other than "he didn't work out with the Devils". But I do think that's where we need to be headed.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I guess I think of it this way. When I was coming to the Preds as my "happy place" team for all those horrible years with the Jackets, what attracted me was the team buy-in and commitment to defense. It was clear that everybody was in it together and coordinating together (even if execution occasionally slipped), and that's what I found wonderful and reassuring and fascinating.

Now my Jackets are the ones doing that, and the Preds are the ones playing like a haphazard collection of individuals. The reversal is shocking and bizarre to me.

I really do think the Preds need to get back to that buy-in. We do not nor will we ever have the offensive talent to "just outskill" people, and even if we did that wouldn't get us anywhere - Tampa Bay had to learn otherwise and that's why they get to move on this year instead of being a legendary embarrassment. I feel like Lavi allowed that cohesiveness to lapse and it's cost us dearly.

Is Hynes going to fix that? I don't know. I know little or nothing about him other than "he didn't work out with the Devils". But I do think that's where we need to be headed.
Tbh we haven't had that mentality in several years. Really once Fisher retired it was almost like a switch got flipped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad