Around the NHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
We will see. They've essentially played 8 games worth of hockey in the last eight days. Every group has a breaking point.

Yeah they are a mentally tough team, but physically I think this is going to hurt them much more with Tampa. They also were playing defense more than Tampa which is more tiring and had there top guys take more minutes verus Tampa who spread it out a bit more. I'm cheering for Columbus big time and they could still do it but this game hurts them a lot more in my opinion even without considering they are now down a game.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
This could well be the best series of the entire playoffs. The Bolts did what they needed to to shore up there defense at the trade deadline both Coleman and Goodrow while not scoring have been critical. Last year the Jackets exposed the lack of forwards who had a two way game. And as hard as it is to dsay the Jackets are better in net this season too. If Bob had been in net it would not have went to OT. Korpisalo got pummeled all game long and was the difference. The last two OT periods all the skaters were out of gas with the exception of Jones and Heddy. It is going to be curious which team recovers fastest.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Tied at 0 - 0, Arizona goes on the power play with around 5 minutes left in the game and allows 3 shorthanded goals on the one PP? Ha ha ha ha ha. Thanks, Colorado. That was sweet. I was just keeping up online but that was quite amusing.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Colorado outshot Arizona 40-14. If you need any other sign that this core is toast, just watch how easy Colorado goes through them.

To be fair, the Preds also dominated play and outshot them by a wide margin similar to today's game.

But the difference is we cannot finish to save our lives.....

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
To be fair, the Preds also dominated play and outshot them by a wide margin similar to today's game.

But the difference is we cannot finish to save our lives.....
43-37, 28-26, 40-27, 52-34

none of those games were dominated the way Colorado dominated today. the last game where we had 52 obviously went to OT.

watch how Colorado runs through them. the coyotes are not a playoff team. that's 2 years where we get embarrassed in the playoffs. it's not going to get any better with this core and coach. it's gonna be a rough 1-2 years.

Reactions: predhead1

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Any of the 16 teams in the playoffs today would steamroll our team. You could see that just watching our games and then looking around at the others. We had 1 line that could dominate a very apathetic Coyotes team, and then nothing-nothing between our two teams - probably the two weakest teams out of 24 in the whole thing. It's a blessing we're out and picking #11.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Any of the 16 teams in the playoffs today would steamroll our team. You could see that just watching our games and then looking around at the others. We had 1 line that could dominate a very apathetic Coyotes team, and then nothing-nothing between our two teams - probably the two weakest teams out of 24 in the whole thing. It's a blessing we're out and picking #11.
agreed. would have been over the moon if we had gotten the #1

Reactions: Lemonlimey

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Blues lost. :D

It really is a shame we did not come back from the shut down and be the team we should have been. We should have beaten Arizona and if we were anything close to the team we should have been, Dallas and St Louis were both very beatable first round opponents.

Oh well...…….

OpenWheel

Jan 10, 2007
Keweenaw Peninsula
It really is a shame we did not come back from the shut down and be the team we should have been. We should have beaten Arizona and if we were anything close to the team we should have been, Dallas and St Louis were both very beatable first round opponents.

Oh well...…….
"They are who we THOUGHT they were! If you want to crown them, then crown their ###!"

:D

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Watching Boston, Carolina amongst other teams just shows you how much more talent they have than our "talented" group.

Columbus, New York Islanders may not be as talented as our group but they play as a unit. They play opportunistic and smart systems.

We are honestly better off blowing it up and starting over at this point. We have too much money tied up in mediocre players. That isn't going to get you good results.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Avalanche beating Arizona, not because they are an offensive machine, but because they have competent goaltending.

I've seen enough to believe Saros will never be the kind of goalie to carry us for stretches the way Rinne has. If this current roster is going to make a Cup run, Rinne is going to have to have a miraculous resurgence next year before he retires.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I don't think it's a question of talent. All 31 teams have talented players. (Sydney Crosby went home too.)

Hockey is the ultimate team game. Of the 20 guys who dress, 19 of them are expected to contribute on the ice during the game, every game. With the difference between success and failure being razor thin, a team that can't get all 19/20 playing consistently, performing their roles, and winning their battles is going to come up short.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Tukka Rask is going home. This is one of the reasons that I don't think we can judge too much from this playoff, we saw 4 games of this team after a long layoff and a lot of the players on both sides were probably pretty hesitant to be involved in the first place.

Also a sign that it will be incredibly difficult to start a meaningful 20-21 season anytime soon.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Tukka Rask is going home. This is one of the reasons that I don't think we can judge too much from this playoff, we saw 4 games of this team after a long layoff and a lot of the players on both sides were probably pretty hesitant to be involved in the first place.

Also a sign that it will be incredibly difficult to start a meaningful 20-21 season anytime soon.
Hogwash we have seen two years of poor play from this roster. Admitted the warmup game and play in series was a doomed failure for many teams it does not change the fact this is not a very good hockey team right now or back in November.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Hogwash we have seen two years of poor play from this roster. Admitted the warmup game and play in series was a doomed failure for many teams it does not change the fact this is not a very good hockey team right now or back in November.

Now I didn't say the team wasn't bad, we have plenty of proof of that like you said. I'm only saying this playoff wasn't a good indicator of things, for the Preds or anyone else.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Avalanche beating Arizona, not because they are an offensive machine, but because they have competent goaltending.

I've seen enough to believe Saros will never be the kind of goalie to carry us for stretches the way Rinne has. If this current roster is going to make a Cup run, Rinne is going to have to have a miraculous resurgence next year before he retires.

To be fair, that was a classic Rinne playoff series if I’ve ever seen one, just with fewer softies....

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Now I didn't say the team wasn't bad, we have plenty of proof of that like you said. I'm only saying this playoff wasn't a good indicator of things, for the Preds or anyone else.
I agree with that this entire going back after 4 months with a one game exhibition game then to a playoff was short sighted from a competition standpoint. Bettman and EL where just concerned about putting the players in a bubble to protect them from virus and the quality of the games was secondary. There have been some good games but many were not playoff hockey. Whoever wins the cup it will be forever tainted.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I agree with that this entire going back after 4 months with a one game exhibition game then to a playoff was short sighted from a competition standpoint. Bettman and EL where just concerned about putting the players in a bubble to protect them from virus and the quality of the games was secondary. There have been some good games but many were not playoff hockey. Whoever wins the cup it will be forever tainted.

I would disagree with your conclusion for exactly the reasons you presented. This years Cup winner wint be tainted they will be unique in the hardships they overcame, especially if a play in team wins

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I would disagree with your conclusion for exactly the reasons you presented. This years Cup winner wint be tainted they will be unique in the hardships they overcame, especially if a play in team wins
Well there are thousands of Edmonton, Totonto, Pittsburgh fans that will be using the excuse soon to be Capitals, Blues fans will be in the same crying mode. Teams that have looked good are Vegas, Colorado, Tampa, NYI and the Jackets It will likely be a cup final with Vegas against either the Lightning or Bluejackets im not sure which team is gonna win this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad