Around the NHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
There is a thread about it on the main boards I believe.

And Oilers fans will have NONE OF IT when it comes to suggesting anyone else could win the Masterton. Yet there wasn't any talk about it before this documentary came out. Once again I fall into the main boards trap, can someone please just ban me from every section other than the Preds board? :laugh:

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I am not real big on reading Oilers threads on the main board. Every time I do my IQ drops 10 points and Lord knows I can not afford to lose much more brain mass.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Hertl done for the season. Probably kills what was left of Sharks season and leaves one less competitor for Wild Card. Dorion suddenly looking like a genius with the Sens potentially having two top-5 picks in the draft. :laugh:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So the Leafs are kind of in a similar situation to us, right? High expectations, but currently outside the playoff race and chasing. They give up two 3rds - possibly a 3rd and a 2nd given the conditions - for a 4th liner and a backup goalie. It's not that they didn't need those things. They did. But to me this is kind of illustrative of something I mentioned a couple months ago. When they fired Babcock it really seemed to show... what... seriousness? desperation? proactivity? In a similar situation, we waited an extra couple of months before firing Laviolette. Now they are proactively going out and addressing on-ice needs prior to the deadline. Albeit relatively minor ones. We are not... and I think the vast majority of us here are hoping that continues.

So... what gives? Why are the Leafs with a seemingly flawed team yet high expectations that much more desperate or serious than we are? :dunno:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
So... what gives? Why are the Leafs with a seemingly flawed team yet high expectations that much more desperate or serious than we are? :dunno:

I could be off on my reaction, but I think part of it is because fans and media there create so much pressure on the front office that it's incredibly difficult not to panic into making moves, especially because their GM doesn't have the stones to be patient and build the right way.

On the positive side, I think Toronto also has more reason to believe that if they plug a couple of holes, they can compete. They actually have a few elite forwards who perform. The Preds however are in a situation where it feels like just adding a few pieces is a huge gamble because the talented forwards we have aren't performing regardless.

Reactions: Gh24 and NNCbama

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I could be off on my reaction, but I think part of it is because fans and media there create so much pressure on the front office that it's incredibly difficult not to panic into making moves, especially because their GM doesn't have the stones to be patient and build the right way.

On the positive side, I think Toronto also has more reason to believe that if they plug a couple of holes, they can compete. They actually have a few elite forwards who perform. The Preds however are in a situation where it feels like just adding a few pieces is a huge gamble because the talented forwards we have aren't performing regardless.
I think that's the perfect answer. On both fronts.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Another factor with the Leafs is the fact that they are in the East and not the West. The Eastern Conference is brutal- facing that much tougher east schedule, they still have 63 points. Were they in the West they would easily be in the playoffs. There are going to be a couple of really good teams that will not make the playoffs in the East.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Another fascinating thing about the Columbus streak- 2 regulation losses in 2 months- and both were against San Jose

Crazy

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Columbus is 19-2-6 in their last 27 games

TWO regulation losses in 2 months (27 games)

Incredible- Tortorella has to be coach of the year
tenor.gif

I can get y'all good seats on the bandwagon. :nod: ;)

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Kevin Fiala doing really well lately. 7 pts in last four games. And more pts overall than Johansen.
we would have gotten the point without the latter.

johansen has one of the worst contracts in the league. outside of the downright obvious ones. lucic doesn't count. considering cap hit and length he is top 10 worst.

Reactions: Bent Radar

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Overall reffing has been atrocious! They will call the embellishment but will let all of the cross checking and stick holding go. How many players have been injured with cross checks to the back? It hardly gets called or just for a two minute penalty while the player who was cross checked sometime is injured and leaves the game. Until the players and the NHLPA stand up and say enough, it will continue to happen. Why players allow this to happen and not have it stopped is beyond comprehension. This is their livelihood. Arvi has not been the same since he was injured by Bertuzzo. I have seen other games where players are injured by cross checks and no penalty are called.

How many times do you see a team chicken-wing hold a stick and the other player gets called for a hook? Have the refs been told what to call or not call during a game? And how come coaches are not allowed to argue a bad call without being penalized? Every other sport allows the coach to at least say a few words but in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad