Around the NHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The other argument sometimes made about us accepting Weber's contract relates to the compliance buyouts. Several teams did buy out players with these types of contracts as one of their two league-allowed salary cap compliance buyouts. Brad Richards, Christian Ehrhoff, Ilya Bryzgalov, Vincent Lecavalier, Daniel Briere... there were several examples of back-diving contracts that teams did choose to extricate themselves from, with no cap hit remaining, and therefore no eventual recapture penalty applying. In theory, it is argued, the Predators could have done this too, once the new CBA was ratified. The counter to this, however, is that Weber's contract was just at its very beginning, and $110M with 14 years to run is an awful lot to buy out for a franchise that wasn't particularly stable at the time and coming out of a lockout. There are just so many arguments that Poile has at his disposal, and it seems like he has every assurance from the NHL front office that they are valid and will be taken into consideration. They don't need to chase down the details or publicize that right now of course, not until such time as Weber's retirement day arrives. The new CBA may arrive first. Lots could happen. But I don't think Poile made any of his decisions about the Weber contract lightly, not from matching the Philly offersheet, to foregoing the compliance buyout, to trading him. He will have had his ducks in order every step of the way.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
For a high ankle sprain??????? That's what he is out for now. That would not float for LTIR.

I get it. This was in response to the initial post saying it could potentially be career threatening. Plus, if we want to be technical missing 4-6 weeks would make him eligible for LTIR since the minimum time to be placed on it is 10 games and 24 days which he will exceed if he does indeed miss 4 weeks or more.

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Seems like pretty random timing since they've been playing pretty well recently. Although I suppose winning might not be what they're going for.

Also, Boudreau is the 8th in season coaching change this year so 25% of coaches have been fired this season. That's pretty wild.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Seems like pretty random timing since they've been playing pretty well recently. Although I suppose winning might not be what they're going for.

Also, Boudreau is the 8th in season coaching change this year so 25% of coaches have been fired this season. That's pretty wild.

I wish we had gone the interim route after firing Laviolette- lot of good coaches available this summer....

Reactions: Preds Partisan

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I wish we had gone the interim route after firing Laviolette- lot of good coaches available this summer....

I agree. While I do think Hynes could end up being a good coach I'd much rather have had time to pick someone in the offseason and decide what our long term goal is. If Hynes was the best option for us at that point then that's ok, but picking from a really shallow pool seemed very hasty. Then again I think putting Lambert as the interim or something would've been giving up on this season entirely and I wasn't super keen on that idea either.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
San Jose does us a favor, winning in Winnipeg in regulation. Jets with back to back home losses to Rangers and Sharks. Preds 2 points back of them but 3 games in hand

Just like the Preds, the Jets are absolutely awful at home- it makes no sense. 4-11 last 15 home games. (Preds are 6-13 last 19)

The wild card spot is there for the taking........

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
San Jose's season from hell continues. Karlsson out for the year with a broken thumb.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
The Air Force chorus doing a bang up job on the national anthem.

Anyone else going to the Stadium Series game in Carolina next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad