Around the NHL: 2019-20 Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
This whole Chayka story is bizarre. They gave him permission to have the interview then explode when he accepts the deal. I wonder if it is the Leafs in a high ranking position in MLSE as say a Corporate Business Executive who helps oversee numerous things (involving Leafs, Raptors, Toronto FC, Argos, Marlies etc)

Last edited:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
This whole Chayka story is bizarre. They gave him permission to have the interview then explode when he accepts the deal. I wonder if it is the Leafs in a high ranking position in MLSE as say a Corporate Business Executive who helps oversee numerous things (involving Leafs, Raptors, Toronto FC, Argos, Marlies etc)
That was my thought as well, a sports ownership group position with the friction hitting when Arizona realized it included an NHL team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
When the Yotes owner took over the contracts talks with Taylor Hall, that was a sign that all was not well in Arizona.

Given their cap issues without re-signing Hall, I can understand why a GM might feel like pulling the chute in that situation. He would be left to clean up an even worse cap situation after Hall was extended.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

And this is why I cant get behind the "why don't they just just hire ______ to solve everything?" posts that springs up often on these boards. Without having an in-depth idea of the person's approach, its really hard to evaluate or predict how someone will be. Multiple times a week people suggest turning the analytics reigns over to Megan Chayka because of Stathletes and the "buffalo connection". She very well could be better than john, but the point is that hiring the correct person is not so simple.

John Chayka's Reverse Moneyball
Here's an article from the main board that ties into the tracking vs scraping conversation from earlier.

Reactions: joshjull

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
https://nypost.com/2020/07/26/coyotes-blasts-gm-john-chayka-after-he-quit-on-team/

Club statement:
“John Chayka has quit as the General Manager and President of Hockey Operations of the Arizona Coyotes. The Club is disappointed in his actions and his timing as the Coyotes prepare to enter the NHL’s hub city of Edmonton, where the team will begin post-season play for the first time since 2012,” the team said Sunday in a blistering statement. “Chayka has chosen to quit on a strong and competitive team, a dedicated staff, and the Arizona Coyotes fans, the greatest fans in the NHL.”

Chayka statement:
“I love our players, coaches, staff and fans and I very much wish I could be with the team in Edmonton [for the resumption of the NHL season],” while wishing the team luck. “Sadly, the situation created by ownership made that an impossibility.

“That’s all I intend to say on the matter for now. A fuller, more detailed explanation may be necessary in the near future.”

The backstory:
Chayka’s relationship with the organization apparently fell apart after he was approached by another NHL owner regarding another opportunity while the league was on hiatus due to the coronavirus, according to Sportsnet.
The opportunity did not involve becoming GM of an NHL franchise, and Sportsnet reported it may have been a role outside of the league all together.

Hot Take:
When the Yotes fired president and CEO Ahron Cohen and CFO Gregg Olson in May, Chayka was told they were implementing a new management structure that imposed constraints on what he could do. They took their cue from the Pegulas. :laugh:

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Thank you for contacting NHL.TV.
We apologize for any concern that has been caused by the season's pause and we are here to help.
While the NHL still hopes to return in some capacity this season, we understand that you would like a refund. We are issuing pro-rata refunds based on when you purchased NHL.TV and how much of the season was left to play. You purchased NHL.TV on 13 September 2019 for $124.35 so you are therefore entitled to a refund. Even with your refund, you remain eligible for autorenew and you can continue to use your NHL.TV service between now and October 1, 2020.
Regards,
NHL.TV Support

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
With John Chayka out, Steve Sullivan gets his chance to make a mark in Arizona - TheHockeyNews

And there are candidates, to be sure. There are strong rumbling out there that the NHL would like to see Peter Chiarelli at the helm, for example – and hey, I’m just the messenger here. Chiarelli’s exit from Edmonton was unceremonious to say the least, but he does have a wealth of experience to draw from. There’s also former Los Angeles Kings assistant GM Mike Futa to consider, a man with a great reputation who has been in the running for other GM jobs and reportedly even turned one down when that team tried to lowball him on salary. If you’re looking for a local angle, former Coyotes goaltender Sean Burke would be another option. Currently an exec with Hockey Canada (and goalie consultant for the Montreal Canadiens), Burke was an assistant GM in Arizona a few years ago – the same time Chayka was coming up, ironically.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

I'm not a big Dave Art fan, but this concept isn't bad.

I wonder if changing masks had anything to do with Hutton's vision problem? Perhaps a slight unnoticeable change in the cage spacing, placement, or alignment could cause favoring one eye that eventually causes deterioration to a chronic problem. The center bar could have the same effect as certain eye exercises.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I wonder if changing masks had anything to do with Hutton's vision problem? Perhaps a slight unnoticeable change in the cage spacing, placement, or alignment could cause favoring one eye that eventually causes deterioration to a chronic problem. The center bar could have the same effect as certain eye exercises.
Those of us old enough to remember know this was a real problem for the Opti-Grab(TM) from inventor Navin R. Johnson. The jerk he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad