Around the NHL: 2019-20 Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

They did ask him about the decision to sign with LA and he said it came down to respecting how they developed Jack Campbell and the goalie coaching duo at the time of Bill Ranford (NHL) & Dusty Imoo (Development coach).

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The 2020 NHL broadcast rankings: The best and worst markets...

I think a ton of fans around the league will celebrate who ended up dead last in these rankings.

:sarcasm:

19. Buffalo Sabres

The broadcast: MSG Western New York carries Sabres games, with Rick Jeanneret and Dan Dunleavy on play-by-play and Rob Ray doing colour.
TV19.png

The results: Some of the deference Buffalo gets from national viewers can be chalked up to Jeanneret, who throughout an incredible career has managed to pull off something remarkable: although widely regarded as a Sabres partisan, he’s done such a good job historically that he’s forgiven for it.

“He’s a huge homer, but he does a great job being entertaining without making it all about him,” wrote one respondent from Detroit, who listed Buffalo’s broadcast as one of the best in the league.

Among local voters, Jeanneret’s legacy is secure. There was however a sense that after 15 years of short-term extensions — and a half-decade with his planned successor waiting in the wings on part-time duty — it was time for a change.

“The entire in-game experience needs to be refreshed,” said one of many such respondents.

Ray’s sense of humour earned him positive marks with some viewers, but the vast majority of respondents took issue with his commentary, with some picking on his overly pro-Sabres slant and others singling out an old-school approach to the game.

“He gets excited about fighting and literally nothing else,” said one.

The studio duo of Brian Duff and Martin Biron received nearly universal praise.

“Duffer and Marty are the perfect combo of analytics and first-hand experience,” wrote one respondent in a comment which was echoed throughout in-market ballots.

The bottom line: A decent overall rating masks a poor grade from locals and the pending difficulty of what happens post-Jeanneret.

I think that is fair.

I would agree that Duff & Biron are top notch.

Reactions: Eichel9

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville

Bferra13

Apr 7, 2019
Wow...obviously I'm a big RJ fan but also a fan of Mike and Phil too...Mike has some classic calls...guess some people aren't into that and would rather have a robot call the game

If it's the end of the world humans vs the robots, and the humans are on those two teams you mentioned, I'm fighting with the robots. Bruins and pigs are ranked right where they belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia