Around the NHL: 2019-20 Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
NBC sports is showing something called “Wired - Stadium series”.

Its the kings/avalanche game but different camera angles and they have guys mic’d up so you hear conversations on the bench and on the ice. Even the refs.

It’s almost over now, but if they air it again I’d definitely recommend checking it out. It’s really cool.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Live Q&A: Craig Custance on the NHL, March 18 at 1 p.m. ET

Not inclusive. Topics paraphrased

Draft:
There can't be a lottery determination made until we know what the regular season is going to look like. So right now everything is on hold.
Finishing the Season/Playoffs: Bill Daly said that they're not going to do anything that's going to put next season in jeopardy. So there's got to be a point where you can't keep pushing games back without impacting next season and players getting ready.
Regarding players conditioning: I know team trainers have been in communication with players, even dropping off equipment to make sure they have what they need to stay in shape. Right before we started this chat, I was talking with Jeff LoVecchio for a podcast interview. He trains hockey players and is sharing advice on how to stay in shape.
The real debate will be - how much time do you give these guys in a training camp if you are starting the season back up in two months? What does that look like? How do you make sure guys don't get hurt? This is all still to be determined.
Does the pause help the Blues?: Here's where I think it may help. Vegas was really starting to go. They seemed to really be getting their bearings under Pete DeBoer and his system. I thought they had the potential to create a gap as the favorite in the West. Now, this time off wipes out that momentum. In that sense, that helps other teams.
Why did the refs make a bad call against my favorite team this week?: Because the league has it out for your team and it's a vast NHL conspiracy. The media is in on it too.
Might the draft be done remotely like the NFL draft?: Yeah, I think you have to be open to anything right now in terms of scheduling league events. And the draft is a time when EVERYBODY comes together in one city. Media. Agents. Front offices. Players. Fans. Normally, it's the best. I LOVE the draft for that reason. But in a time like this, that's the opposite of what we should be doing. So there will absolutely be consideration on how to do it differently, even if it's done remotely.
Why is the NHL focused on saving regular season games?: If you just look at the pure financial side of things, if you take out large chunks of the regular season in a gate-driven league like the NHL, that impacts all 31 teams. That's a lot of games and a lot of money. I imagine that's a driver in trying to keep it intact as much as possible either this year or next.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Reactions: Jim Bob

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
That “Wired: Stadium series” is on NBC right now (channel 2 for me).

It’s really good if you haven’t seen it. Pens vs Flyers on now.
LA vs COL on next.

They have everyone mic’d up so you hear all the talk between players, coaches, refs. On the ice, on the bench. It’s really cool.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Play in the NHL? Those are not great NCAA stats for their ages. Something that doesn't translate to the score page?

Who is Connor Mackey? Flames sign highly-coveted undrafted blueliner

What are Connor Mackey's strengths as a player?

The blueliner has been widely regarded for his contributions offensively, especially on the power play. In his second season in Green Bay, Mackey tallied 47 points in just 60 games — 34 of those with the man advantage. He's more of a playmaker than a goal-scorer, however, with just six goals to his 41 assists in 2016-17 when he was named the USHL's Defenseman of the Year.

He's also been praised for his high hockey IQ and decision-making. This past season in Mankato he put up 24 points (seven goals, 17 assists) in 36 games and was selected to the All-WCHA First Team.

Colton Poolman signs with Calgary Flames | Grand Forks Herald

Calgary could be a prime landing spot for Poolman.

The Flames lack defensemen in their system. According to CapFriendly, five of their current nine NHL defensemen are set to be unrestricted free agents at the end of the season. Of the 17 unsigned draft picks in their system, only one is a defenseman. And it's a seventh-round pick at that.

Poolman is the second member of his family on an NHL deal. His older brother, Tucker, is with the Winnipeg Jets.
Colton played in all situations for UND this season -- top defensive pairing, power play and penalty kill -- but made his mark on the defensive side of the puck.

Earlier this week, Poolman was named one of three finalists for the National Collegiate Hockey Conference's defenseman of the year award, an honor Tucker won in 2016-17.

Calgary really needs D. That's why they have a shot at making the Flames next season.

Reactions: Chainshot

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
EUYLgsSXQAQw7of

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad